Any Pirates Here? How about an HI Cutlass?

How about this? has some resemblance to your drawing...
cwrs96-D-guard-bowie-2-s.JPG

cwrs96-D-guard-1-s.JPG

It is pretty close for sure, it lacks the fuller but that isn't a big deal. I am sure the kamis can picture where those belong.

I have been looking too. Maybe I did just make this one up. LOL

The Farm Knife was like wild fire in comparison to this bit of smoldering coals

Oh, well this is clearly because I did a sketch for the former and not the latter (Of course I kid - I'm nowhere near that pretentious :p)
Here was my interpretation though I think I made it more a saber than a cutlass. There's a bunch of different styles and after looking over the posts, I'm guessing you're wanting one with less curvature? Toss me a couple ideas and I'll sketch it up.
P1040907.jpg

As for the the difference in the level of interest between this and the Farm Knife, I think I can explain that: a cutlass is a combat sword while the farm knife (like most kukris) is a big utilitarian knife. That's pretty much it.... While HI caters to a lot of tastes, I'd say a majority of HI's crowd prefer blades with a certain level of user appeal. A cutlass by HI, although being quite functional, is still a combat design and I think would appeal more to the collector (which I think is the minority of HI).

Who knows, I might be totally off. For me though, a design that I can see myself using to process wood, clear brush, create a shelter, or prep food has more appeal than something more intended for combat (i.e. is more likely to end up sitting on a shelf). I mean I'd like to own a number of HI swords, but ultimately what prevents me from those purchases is that sense I won't use them. I'm just kind of assuming that's how a lot of other HI members think as well - more a user versus collector mindset.

That all said though, when the design is finalized, I'm sure you won't be the only one to pick an HI cutlass up :thumbup:

Last edited:
well, that is a lot closer to what I had in mind for certain, you are a lot better artist that I am and I already admitted that I stink at drawing what is in my head. The more I look at it, the more I'd say it is close to just right, maybe a bit more guard there where it widens but otherwise I'd say you have it perfect. I should have emailed you my crappy drawing and asked you to draw it in the first place. :) Now where is that guy who does the 3-D renderings of these things? I was hoping he would jump in and show off a few of his ideas of how mine might look too. Now I want to see yours that way. :D

well, that is a lot closer to what I had in mind for certain, you are a lot better artist that I am and I already admitted that I stink at drawing what is in my head. The more I look at it, the more I'd say it is close to just right, maybe a bit more guard there where it widens but otherwise I'd say you have it perfect. I should have emailed you my crappy drawing and asked you to draw it in the first place. :) Now where is that guy who does the 3-D renderings of these things? I was hoping he would jump in and show off a few of his ideas of how mine might look too. Now I want to see yours that way. :D

Yea - my sense of perspective is a bit off, so the guard didn't quite come out looking how I wanted it to. I've actually done a bit of 3D work and played around with Blender, but never got that into it... anyways, glad you dig the sketch. BTW, I'm of the opinion that this design would actually be better suited as non-chiruwa and in satisal... what's the argument for chiruwa here again? Better balance?

Actually, I am all for it being non-chiruwa if you read the very first post. I only said I would take either one because of all the uptight folks who seem to need a full tang on they feel they have been cheated or that it will break or is otherwise inferior in some way. I don't need to see the metal there at all. :) I know a Tarwar can take it so I am pretty sure this would be able to as well. ;) Jay, funny you would bring that site into this, I was once a customer of his back when I could afford such luxuries. All of those items have long since been sold off however. :( Except a few of the books I bought there and a set of DVDs, I still have those in a box here somewhere. He has some of the most fantastic militaria to be had and he is easy to deal with too.

I will comment now on the picture from that site though, no fuller. I want, no need, a fullered blade.

Yea - my sense of perspective is a bit off, so the guard didn't quite come out looking how I wanted it to. I've actually done a bit of 3D work and played around with Blender, but never got that into it... anyways, glad you dig the sketch. BTW, I'm of the opinion that this design would actually be better suited as non-chiruwa and in satisal... what's the argument for chiruwa here again? Better balance?

Killa, for the guard I was thinking of one that cups the hand more. more like this kind of look really...

main.php

right down to a nice brass cap on the pommel. See, I see this with a horn handle and all brass fittings myself. I like the way brass looks against the black, though it would look equally good in white metal and horn too. There is no doubt though, if this is something people want made, she can make me my horn handled one and if the rest of the folks prefer satisal then by all means, that is what she will make you all.

We also need to think about the scabbard since the traditional way say a Tarwar's scabbard comes I am not liking for this particular application.

Oh, well this is clearly because I did a sketch for the former and not the latter (Of course I kid - I'm nowhere near that pretentious :p)
Here was my interpretation though I think I made it more a saber than a cutlass. There's a bunch of different styles and after looking over the posts, I'm guessing you're wanting one with less curvature? Toss me a couple ideas and I'll sketch it up.
P1040907.jpg

As for the the difference in the level of interest between this and the Farm Knife, I think I can explain that: a cutlass is a combat sword while the farm knife (like most kukris) is a big utilitarian knife. That's pretty much it.... While HI caters to a lot of tastes, I'd say a majority of HI's crowd prefer blades with a certain level of user appeal. A cutlass by HI, although being quite functional, is still a combat design and I think would appeal more to the collector (which I think is the minority of HI).

Who knows, I might be totally off. For me though, a design that I can see myself using to process wood, clear brush, create a shelter, or prep food has more appeal than something more intended for combat (i.e. is more likely to end up sitting on a shelf). I mean I'd like to own a number of HI swords, but ultimately what prevents me from those purchases is that sense I won't use them. I'm just kind of assuming that's how a lot of other HI members think as well - more a user versus collector mindset.

That all said though, when the design is finalized, I'm sure you won't be the only one to pick an HI cutlass up :thumbup:

Very nice ... with or without Warty's guard. Maybe 1 of each! :D

Mind you, wood handles for me ...

like I say, wood for all but me is fine, as long as this takes off. :)

I have a Condor Bush Cutlass ordered but the folks I got it from send out orders to "civilians" only after they fill ALL LEO and ACTIVE Armed Service Orders no matter how much you pay for shipping. It didn't seem to matter when I told them of my service to country since it was twenty years ago, so when it gets here it will. They have already hit the card so I guess I wait. :mad: For obvious reason I won't post the place here but feel free to contact me. :D

I do have one of Cold Steel's, it was the first, let's call it "real" sword I ever owned back when they very first introduced the thing. I have not handled any of them other than the one I own but I have always liked the thing. It always felt pretty good on the swing and had held a viciously sharp edge for a long time cutting through stuff and it has been cutting things for years now. I have also used the guard to punch through things now and then and it has held up really well. This is sort of why I like this kind of full guard, I want to be able to give a punch in the middle of melee now and then if I have to... ;)

Warty, I got to see a spectacular museum display of swords ranging from the Bronze Age to WWII era today, all genuine. Some old guy collected em in Northern Idaho and died recently. Stuff from all over the world, too, Moros and Talwars and tons of sabers and cutlasses. I took some shots for you, I'll upload em tomorrow

I want to live in the land of the potato.

Looking forward to the pix!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I love the idea of a HI Cutlass!

I have been looking at the Cold Steel version a bit lately as that is pretty close to my idea of what a cutlass should be.

I am a huge fan of the Ramage novels by Dudley Pope and cutlass's feature a fair bit in the story lines of the navy of the era. Exciting stuff!

I love the idea of a full guard so you can punch stuff and I would also like an index finger ring for better control.

Blade needs to be light and fast and a definite point for thrusting.

The scabbard is tricky. The guy over at Raven Armory made a new type of scabbard for his big scimitar that has an open back along the top half for easy drawing. It works really well I had a handle of it at the Arms Fair I met him at. However the scimitar was horrible, looked fantastic but was so heavy and off balanced. A scabbard like this might do the trick for a fast light cutlass!

Ape :)

Well, I have a Condor Bush Cutlass that should finally be here on Wednesday now that all the active duty LEO and serving military have had their orders filled and they have gotten a restock of the item. Confused, read post #54 above, guess serving thirty years ago doesn't count for much these days. :grumpy: When it gets here I am gonna post pix of it and my much older Cold Steel Cutlass for reference to the thread. I really am serious about getting one of these myself but since I won't be able to afford it until next year, no reason to ask Yangdu about it myself until I could actually pay her for it.

Back