Any Pirates Here? How about an HI Cutlass?

yeah! A bit more belly on the blade, brass guard and embellishments. But that is it. :D

I love the tip on that one, perfect!

The issue I'm having the guards is that they aren't ambidextrous (I'm left handed). I'm not much of a sword guy to begin with though, so I guess it isn't much of a problem

Last edited:
Specs for the Pirate King Cutlass (previously pictured):
"Features a high carbon steel, hand forged blade, well tempered and with full tang as it was meant to be. The menacing cup guard is pierced through with fearsome skull & cross-bones. Grip is wood covered with leather and wire...
Overall: 32 3⁄4"
Blade: 25 3⁄4" long, 1 7⁄8" wide, 3⁄16" thick
Wt: 2 lbs/6 oz"

Some more photos for design ideas:

268_1_.jpg

266_1_.jpg

266_3_.jpg

267_2_.jpg

267_1_.jpg

i like this full basket hilt one with a proper yelman. needs a fuller tho :) left side:
beaknoseeljay16.jpg

the original it's based on & the right side:
Cullodenkilijribbon2.jpg

note the subtle differences, hollow forged original vs. flat repro, slight esthetic diff. of the rear potion of the yelman.
one more like the original would be better, it's prettier, tho the new one is probably better steel (and likely cheaper).

sadly, neither is mine.

Last edited:
OK, I agree that in the interest in handedness, the basket hilt should be abandoned. There are ways around even this though... How about a simple widening of the guard in the middle? Instead of a full on basket or just a basic guard, we would then have a bit of both. Yeah, I suck at drawing but this should give the idea I hope...
main.php
Would this not fix the problem of handedness and still give a bit extra for that punch when engaged on deck? Of course, I am not likely to wind up on any decks fighting for my ship and crew but it is fun to have the right tool for the occasion if I do find myself doing so...

anyway, I guess no one is really doing anything but waiting for Yangdu to post something. :) but in the hopes that folks are still reading and there may be a possible comment... I also finally received my Condor Bush Cutlass. So I decided to go ahead and post a picture of it and my Cold Steel 1917 Cutlass as further pictorial reference material. :D

main.php

Condor is on top, CS below it...​

I would prefer the slighter curve of the CS. Also would prefer more of a sabre to a cutlass. I am am sure either would be fun.

Start a Saber thread! I like them too... draw one up and see where it goes! :)

That top drawing is not only cool but has a candidate for a guard in it...

Look at the blade in the hand of the guy with the back coat.
See how it widens just at the very top? That would work too IMO.

My pockets aren't that deep either, this is sort of the reason I am trying to get more than just me to say they'd get one too...

yeah, he posts at another forum I frequent too and I always just miss his stuff it sells so fast.
I saw the boarding cutlass and nearly cried too, Mike can really make some nice stuff for some great prices.
He makes them to use and last too.

If a cutlass is ever made by Himalayan Imports, and I think at this point I am abandoning the idea for now, it is likely to be a "One Off" for me. Or a whatever small number of them that is needed to fill the few of us who want them, all by special order only. It just doesn't look like a popular enough item for the general company to be making. I knew a larger blade, like all swords, would be a hard sell. They are more expensive than the smaller blades and a lot of folks don't buy them since they are more of a "show" item than a "user" for a lot of people.

Like I said, not a big surprise and there are other options. Just thought I'd start here since HI is basically always my starting point for edges. I just like the way things are done here so I try to do them here if I can, sometimes though you just can't...

Back