Any Winkler fans?

rpn

Gold Member
I got started with my Belt Knife years ago and have been adding blades. Just received the Field Knife yesterday and am very impressed with it- should have bought one years ago. Went a little wild on the Dynamis Winklers...but like them and finally owning a dagger I enjoy is great. The Case Winkler Skinner is a wonderful blade too btw...light, handy and solid cutter.

Had an Operator for a bit but decided to pass it on.

Here's the current state on my Winkler collection. You have some to post? Lets see 'em!

KR9QnOel.jpg

I got started with my Belt Knife years ago and have been adding blades. Just received the Field Knife yesterday and am very impressed with it- should have bought one years ago. Went a little wild on the Dynamis Winklers...but like them and finally owning a dagger I enjoy is great. The Case Winkler Skinner is a wonderful blade too btw...light, handy and solid cutter.

Had an Operator for a bit but decided to pass it on.

Here's the current state on my Winkler collection. You have some to post? Lets see 'em!

KR9QnOel.jpg
Envious of your collection.....

Reactions: rpn
Love my Operator
Only one so far, but I could definitely see myself buying a few more
884c3ef58019bceaa95b06ea0b9092d947bbde28.jpg

091e6aaf422d8b8f800d480bee67254e437d3a1d.jpg

Here's a quick and interesting Winkler/Operator story... I had one a few years ago and broke the tip being stupid. I email Winkler Knives and Daniel himself answers, tells me to send it in and he regrinds it himself. I felt guilty for it since it was 100% me..but what a good guy and company.

Last edited:
I haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet, but I really want a belt knife or a woodsman. I have a couple of other planned expences the next months, but I think I can manage one during 2020!

I have the spike, Dynamis Blade, and the Dynamis flathead.

The flathead is so useful. Winkler started making them for sale by winkler so it is half the price than the flathead with the Dynamis logo. Such a better purchase than those tiny prybars.

Pro tip- I wrap my Spike in Siran wrap after oiling so I can store it in the sheath. I’ve been able to reuse the wrap out in the bush too.

I have the spike, Dynamis Blade, and the Dynamis flathead.

The flathead is so useful. Winkler started making them for sale by winkler so it is half the price than the flathead with the Dynamis logo. Such a better purchase than those tiny prybars.

Pro tip- I wrap my Spike in Siran wrap after oiling so I can store it in the sheath. I’ve been able to reuse the wrap out in the bush too.

I didn't know he was releasing his own flathead...i've been reading it's a good tool and been interested in it. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

I like the designs a lot but haven't been able to get one in hand. How's the BTE thickness?

I didn't know he was releasing his own flathead...i've been reading it's a good tool and been interested in it. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Yep, they are available on Winkler’s site. I just checked the Dynamis site, they are now asking $215 (I paid $150) for the winkler flathead w/ their logo. The winkler version is $75. I don’t get it.

I like the designs a lot but haven't been able to get one in hand. How's the BTE thickness?

Not as thick as the Belt knife...and thicker than the Case Skinner. Still a hard use knife grind imo.

Yep, they are available on Winkler’s site. I just checked the Dynamis site, they are now asking $215 (I paid $150) for the winkler flathead w/ their logo. The winkler version is $75. I don’t get it.

Looks like dynamis has a lower profile sheath and leather wrap for handle material. The sheaths on my two Dynamis blades are outstanding.

Not as thick as the Belt knife...and thicker than the Case Skinner. Still a hard use knife grind imo.

Looks like dynamis has a lower profile sheath and leather wrap for handle material. The sheaths on my two Dynamis blades are outstanding.

I absolutely agree about the Dynamis sheaths. Not sure that justifies the price hike though.

Reactions: rpn
I carry a Pathfinder routinely. Though the sheaths are a little bulky, I really like their retention, and they make carrying the knife very comfortable.

Based on my interactions with him, Daniel Winkler is a very nice man who is enthusiastic about his products and very respectful of his customers. My experience with the company has been nothing but positive.

Sorry, no picture today. I'll try to add one soon.

-Steve

Does anyone know how much the tangs are skeletonized, and how much, if any, it differs between models?
That depends on the model and the year it was made.

The Belt Knives for example have always been a full tapered tang, no cutout at all. The Crusher Belt Knife however depends on the year it was made, initially it was a full tapered tang with no cutout and the integral extended tang, later that was changed to a non-tapered skeletonized integral extended tang.

I like my Winklers, but I decided that I preferred the thinner grind of the Case Winkler Skinner (and trying to sell my Winkler Belt Knife).

81h82oc.jpg

The Case Winkler really needs a better sheath (the factory one is HUUUUGE) so I got a simple taco made:
IpCG6T1.jpg

Back