Anybody got the new Leatherman Surge ??

Hi guys, got my new surge as many other did. I like it but I would like to know if anyone else has some play in the handles when the tool is closed.

Foilist said:
What's the best Surge price on the internet lately? I'd like to handle one before I buy, but I'll take a chance for a lower price.

I got mine for 70 dollars shipped on eBay. That is the lowest price I've seen so far.

well, naked farmer, I'm happy to know that it's normal. Anyway even if it has a small play, the tool feels VERY solid. I like it.

Just wondering ..... instead of having to choose which blade to keep attached (saw or file) ..... would it have been possible to put the saw edge on the back of the file blade ???

OK, might be a bit dangerous if your hand slipped on to the saw teeth :) but it would mean less compromise .....

Also, how about using a 50/50 plain & serrated blade as the main blade - instead of using 2 blades ??

Perfectionist said:
Just wondering ..... instead of having to choose which blade to keep attached (saw or file) ..... would it have been possible to put the saw edge on the back of the file blade ???

OK, might be a bit dangerous if your hand slipped on to the saw teeth :) but it would mean less compromise .....

Also, how about using a 50/50 plain & serrated blade as the main blade - instead of using 2 blades ??

Yuck to both ideas, IMO. The saw is used for wood, the file on the side would get clogged like crazy. It would take a year to clean it out with something like fatwood.

The whole idea of having two seperate blades is being able to use the serrated blade for rescue work. No point on the serrated blade and full serrations to make quick work of clothing, seatbelts, ect. The plain blade is kept a traditional design for regular work/use. Plus for people like me that do a lot of camping/survival activities a half serrated blade is a PITA.

By the way, if you are looking for a good sheath for this get the nylon one that is used for the new Wave (I think, it came with my Kick Bit Driver kit, but the one they show on the Accessories paper now isn't the same) It has a pocket for the file/saw holder and it fits the Surge perfectly. If you are looking for a Leather sheath for the Charge Ti use the Leather one for the kick. It fits perfectly once worn in.

True - the file would get clogged up ..... but I still want both the Saw and File attached somehow !!!

Also, why didn't Leatherman put the Belt Cutter on the back of the Serrated Blade like in the Charge XTi ???

You don't really need it with the serrated sheepsfoot blade and the scissors. Plus that is kinda a PITA anyway, it's tough to sharpen and weakens the blade.

I really would like the belt cutter on my Wave more than my Surge. I've just never liked the appearance of the Charge. The belt cutter works good for taking ear tags out of cattles ears :) (the actual tool is exactly like a safety knife, just comes in different packaging) HAH i think we come up with a new use everyday.

Perfectionist said:
Disagree ..... I use the Belt Cutter for more tasks than the main blade .... :)

Leatherman thinks of the hook as a replacement for scissors when they can'tfit them. So tools that have scissors won't have the hook. But, maybe if you bug them about it enough they might put it in. ;)

I finally examined a Surge at the local EMS store. It is BIG, but I think it is still belt-able. I wouldn't want to stick it in my pants pocket though.

The notorious Leatherman handle wobble seemed greatly reduced, if not totally gone. The knife blades open with impressive smoothness compared to my original Wave. They want $100 bucks for it, but the clerk said it will be on sale for $80 bucks next week. That's not bad for a store price right now, but it can't beat the internet retailers. I'll be getting one soon.

Decided to give my new Surge Saw a “real world” checkout. Had some time to kill, and wanted to make something semi-useful. So, digging through the drawer, I found an old sturdy wooden ruler which was beyond its useful life, being as it was missing the metal edging on both sides. Obviously the Leatherman saw blade was going to be too aggressive for such a thin piece of wood, so I removed it and installed a Bosch scroll saw blade. Sawing off a 5” chunk was not a big deal, although with thin wood and a small thin blade, it was tough keeping the wood braced and steady. This blade is designed to cut on the up-stroke, which complicates things.
Once I had the little 5” piece, I marked off a crude pattern with a marker, then proceeded to cut. The scroll saw blade was a necessity when cutting the curves, but during the straight cuts I actually preferred the hack-saw blade. It’s just too darned hard to keep that little piece of wood braced when using a saw that cuts on the up-stroke.
The entire project took about 45 minutes beginning to end. I lost a few ounces of sweat. I learned that you MUST use gloves – I put them on after developing a couple of hot spots on my hand and finger.
The little blades worked pretty well. There is some wiggle and play due to the thinness of the metal, but they all stayed locked in place and performed as designed.
The next morning while hiking I took out the hack-saw blade and gave it a go at a piece of double-strand barbwire. It took about 45 seconds to go through. All in all a useful addition to the Leatherman family. I love the size and bulk. It feels great in the hand during use.

Project-1.jpg

Project-2.jpg

Project-3.jpg

I finally broke down and ordered a couple Surges this week. I received them on Wednesday and my first impression was that they felt like bricks. Leatherman should've added another function to these tools: a hammer. These things are heavy. I have actually used my old Wave before as a "hammer" and it worked pretty well. I can only imagine the damage, uh... I mean work, I could do with the Surge. I bet you could drive a nail with one of these! I haven't tried it, though, since I didn't want to scuff up the nice shiny finish!

You could also probably use it to get into your car if you locked your keys inside but I don't think it would appeal to anyone to throw their multi-tool through their car window.

Seriously, though, this is a tough tool.

I love how Leatherman enlarged the scissors and put them on the outside for easy access. I felt, like many others, that the scissors on the New Wave and the Charge models were too small.

I'm also glad to see that they've put an awl on this tool. It's there if you need it.

I know some people don't like the bit drivers but I do. Even the small one. If you wear glasses, you know what I mean. I just like the adaptability of this tool which brings me to the next thing I really like...

...the blade exchanger. I love this thing. I like the idea of being able to change the blade depending on what you are cutting. I think that this makes it very handy and versatile. Now when is Leatherman gonna make changeable plier heads as Gerber does? I'm not really sure how much I'd like this, but I know many people would.

I'm also glad that Leatherman has started making their products so that all of their tools lock in place. Makes me feel safer when I'm trying to bear down on a tight screw.

I also like the ability to add a pocket clip and lanyard ring. The Surge already has a built-in lanyard ring but I guess it's handy if you'd like to use the add-on lanyard ring to hang it on a pack so you can remove the tool quickly.

I'm glad Leatherman enlarged the whole tool too. This is probably because of the blade-exchanger. Imagine the size of the blades if you stuck the blade exchanger on the new Wave. Pretty small, eh? Anyways, I don't care why they made it bigger, I'm just glad they did.

I'm also glad they put a ruler on the Surge. You never know when you'll need a ruler.

There are a few things I wish they would've done differently that may have already been mentioned but I'll say 'em anyways. Now, keep in mind that these are just my opinion and according to my wife, I really don't have one. So, feel free to ignore these if you want. :D

No cutting hook? This would've been easy to add on the back of the serrated blade. Makes me wonder if they are going to have a different version of the Surge later with the cutting hook on it (kinda like the Charge versions). :confused: I hope not, 'cause then I'll have to buy a couple of those too.

Why does Leatherman leave the 5/16" screwdriver on this tool? I wonder why this is still on the tool when the bit driver could be used to hold a bit this size. Seems kinda like a waste of space to me but I do use it occasionally for prying and such so I guess it's not a total waste. Not sure what you could put in place of the screwdriver. Maybe a set of tweezers? A toothpick? Both?! :p Maybe even an adapter for the removable bit driver so you can get to those hard-to-reach places! How about a USB drive? Nah, the front panel of your computer would fall off with the Surge plugged into it. Either that or the computer would tip over. I dunno, but the 5/16" screwdriver seems a bit redundant to me.

Why is the blade not 154CM? I know the current blade on the Surge will stand up adequately but it would've been a much easier purchase (and probably more expensive) if the blade was 154CM.

Why are the handles not Titanium? Many people like the look of the new Charge models with titanium handles. Many people don't. I do and I think it would've looked a little better and weighed a little less (which wouldn't be a bad thing) if the handles had been titanium. This also would've increased the price but I think it would've been worth it.

Why are there only two double-ended bits with the Surge? The Charge versions both came with eight or nine but the Surge only comes with two. It sure would be nice if it came with more than two instead of having to purchase a separate bit set. This makes me wonder if Leatherman will put a security torx bit for their tools in their bit selection any time soon. ;) It would be nice to be able to disassemble your tool (for cleaning :D ) but alas, your Leatherman tool wouldn't be under warranty if you did.

This kinda goes along with the bit question. Why did Leatherman only include two "saw" blades for the blade exchanger? There are two slots in the blade pouch. This means that you could carry two blades in the pouch plus one in the tool for a total of three. But, only two were included. Hmmm. Anyone know if Leatherman plans to offer a blade kit somewhat similar to their bit kits they sell? I'd like to have a wider selection of blades for the blade exchanger. I'm just glad they didn't create some proprietary sort of blade adapter (like the bit adapter :( ) and stuck with the T-shank. I've already bought some Bosch T-shank blades to use with the Surge! :D

Overall, I love the Surge. It's a good tool with many favorable aspects. But, I think there are a few items that could be changed to make it a better tool, maybe even a perfect tool. Maybe Leatherman is listening. Maybe not. At least the Surge is somewhat customizable. Anyone know where I can find a 3' wood saw blade for a T-shank adapter? I need to cut down a tree. :D

heathah said:
Now when is Leatherman gonna make changeable plier heads as Gerber does? I'm not really sure how much I'd like this, but I know many people would.
If you think the Surge is big *now*, wait until you add removeable pliers!!

Seriously, I played with the Gerber that has that feature, and it ain't all that. Leatherman's pliers are a helluva lot more solid than that Gerber set-up, and on a tool this size, I want solid.

heathah said:
Anyways, I don't care why they made it bigger, I'm just glad they did.
I'm pretty sure the reason for the increased size is to make a stronger, sturdier tool to replace the aging SuperTool 200.[/quote]

heathah said:
No cutting hook? This would've been easy to add on the back of the serrated blade. Makes me wonder if they are going to have a different version of the Surge later with the cutting hook on it (kinda like the Charge versions). :confused: I hope not, 'cause then I'll have to buy a couple of those too.
As someone else mentioned, Leatherman only seems to put the cutting/gutting hook on models that don't have scissors. Yeah, I think that sounds lame, too.

heathah said:
Why does Leatherman leave the 5/16" screwdriver on this tool? ... I do use it occasionally for prying and such so I guess it's not a total waste.
You just answered your own question.

Beside the fact that none of the bits are that big, the big flat screwdriver is excellent for prying, so you don't have to risk doing something dumb, like pry with the blade. How's the saying go? "A knife is the most expensive, and least effective, prybar you'll ever break."

heathah said:
Why is the blade not 154CM? I know the current blade on the Surge will stand up adequately but it would've been a much easier purchase (and probably more expensive) if the blade was 154CM.
y guess? To keep the cost down. Again, I think they want to keep this in the same price range as the SuperTool 200. I got one of the first ones available at retail, for a whopping $80. The Charge runs $20 more than the New Wave; if the Surge had a 154CM blade, it would probably push the price up similarly.

I've got no complaints with the 440C blades on my Waves and Surge. They hold an edge just fine, considering that they aren't full-time knives. If I have that much cutting to do, I'll carry a folder, too. (Come to think of it, I usually do, anyway!) And with the Surge, you can always use the diamond file to touch up the edge, in an emergency.

heathah said:
Why are the handles not Titanium? Many people like the look of the new Charge models with titanium handles. Many people don't.
I own the new Wave and the Charge, and while the Charge gives a better grip, it's noticeably bulkier. If you think the Surge is big now, it would seem HUGE with those titanium handles, and at a negligible weight savings.

heathah said:
Why are there only two double-ended bits with the Surge?
Again, to save cost, I reckon.

heathah said:
Anyone know if Leatherman plans to offer a blade kit somewhat similar to their bit kits they sell? ... I've already bought some Bosch T-shank blades to use with the Surge!
Again, you answered you own question. Bosch and the like can offer a lot more variety of blades, and at a better cost, than Leatherman ever could.

heathah said:
Overall, I love the Surge.
Yeah, me too!! :D

Would love to have seen them put a Chisel in place of the Screwdriver .... like on a SwissTool .....

Personally, I'm hoping they will put all the new features into the next version of the Charge :D

Gryffin said:
I've got no complaints with the 440C blades on my Waves and Surge.

Are they 440C? I was under the impression they were 420 or such.

Perfectionist said:
Would love to have seen them put a Chisel in place of the Screwdriver .... like on a SwissTool .....

Personally, I'm hoping they will put all the new features into the next version of the Charge :D

Well, get a file and just turn the screwdriver into a chisel. I did so on a SAK OHT and it works great. Takes a little patience, but worth it. :)

shootist16 said:
Are they 440C? I was under the impression they were 420 or such.
Hmmmm... coulda sworn I read 440 somewheres. I could be wrong. It's been known to happen from time to time. ;)

Back