Anybody got the new Leatherman Surge ??

I just picked one up from sportsmans warehouse, I like it, but why does it have so much play in the handles?. It annoys the heck out of me. Also I hate the cheesy phillips head bit, as well as not having the file and the saw attached. Other than those few things I am happy. :)

Does it have the play in the handles when open too or just closed? How much is there, on mine it is just enough to make a clicky noise, roughly 1mm or so measured at the bottom. If it has any play when open I would take it back for another, it shouldn't have any at all.

well the play in the handles is quite normal. Every Surge tool has it so I guess if it would have affected tool solidity, leatheman wouldn't had left any play in there :) And I love those normal torx so I can adjust the friction on the lower tools.

yeah theres none when its fully opened, only when its closed. It just annoys me that they couldnt get rid of the play all together. My swisstool was perfect. Never had any play opened or closed.

I was just told it has to be a little loose so you can open the blades one handed. It could be tightened up to get rid of the play, but you would loose the one handed ability.

I really like the weight and looseness of the handles. So what if there is a little play? I've never had a Leatherman fail on me because of that. Actually, I've never had a Leatherman fail on me, period. The flipability paired with one handed blades makes this a great choice for those that have jobs that require one hand tool access. Actually, the only things that irked me about the tool were the sheath and the tightness of the internal tools. The sheath is getting taken care of at no cost to me by Leatherman, and i'm sure the tools will loosen with use and a few dabs of oil. This is the first time that I haven't felt like the tool was lacking something. It's the total package for me.

Jake

I got my surge today, I am one giddy person :) felt like a kid at christmas opening up my package :)

So far I love it, it's a little bigger than I expected (I have unnaturally tiny hands) but it fits well. The only thing so far is I don't see how the bottle/can opening could remove bottle caps, I'd be a little leery, I'd think it'd break the cap before popping it open... Any suggestions on that?

The play is ok, I don't really notice it, and the general feel is tough enough, I'm not worried at all. But time will tell :)

I'll post a review with pictures over the weekend, after I have some time to use it and carry it around.

Laike, like pretty much all Leatherman combo cap lifter/can openers you have to kind of ease the cap off or the tip will just rip into the top of the cap. Generally, i have to work the cap up in a couple of places before it pops off. Not as good as a SAK lifter, but better than taking up two spaces with different tools.

Jake

Now that I have both the Surge and the Core, My Charge feels like a toy compared to them. I just got the Surge today so after I carry this tank on my hip for a while a will see if it replaces my Charge as my everyday carry. I am 6 FT, 220 Pounds so the Size of the 4.5 Inch tools feels better in my hand. If the big tool carries well enough it may replace the Charge.

I love the large blades on the Surge, not to sure of the scissors, mine kinda suck a little but after I work with them may be I will get use to them. Plan to buy the Bit Kit and some Metal cutting T-shank blades for the Surge to round out the package. Overall a Big, Bad Multi tool that is a good addition to my gear.

It seems that the handle of surge's scissors is made of a black plastic... Anybody could confirm?

ckl said:
It seems that the handle of surge's scissors is made of a black plastic... Anybody could confirm?

yes it sort of is. Basically it has a plastic thumb rest that fits on one side of the scissor's handle lever at the very back. It is attached by 2 short nubs that go through 2 holes in the handle to the other side. They are then peened/melted over to secure the grips. Honestly, i don't think it'll last that long. It looks like one of the few weak points in this tool. No biggie. In the worst case if it fell off the scissors would just be a little uncomfortable to use, but not much more than Vic scissors. To fix the problem all one would have to do is do a couple of careful dips in some of that black plasti-dip stuff. That'll last forever.

Jake

Unless you really bear down on the scissors on a reagular basis, I think the plastic "handle" will last. It's not really under load, and is only there to widen the handle for comfort.

I got my Surge yesterday and started carrying it today. I carried it Horizontal and it felt great, the weight was distributed over a wider area so it was really comfortable to carry. It did not feel heavy carried this way and I had no problems at all. I really like the bigger blades, I had to cut up some boxes today and the bigger blades do make a difference. I still am going to add the bit kit and a metal cutting T-shank blade so I got to test it out some more as far as the carry option goes. Because the 4.5 inch length feels better in my hand, the Surge will replace my Charge as my EDC Multi tool.

If any of you guys are looking for a Charge, I will have 2 for sale along with some other blades on the Exchange on Tuesday.

Steely_Gunz said:
yes it sort of is. Basically it has a plastic thumb rest that fits on one side of the scissor's handle lever at the very back. It is attached by 2 short nubs that go through 2 holes in the handle to the other side. They are then peened/melted over to secure the grips. Honestly, i don't think it'll last that long. It looks like one of the few weak points in this tool. No biggie. In the worst case if it fell off the scissors would just be a little uncomfortable to use, but not much more than Vic scissors. To fix the problem all one would have to do is do a couple of careful dips in some of that black plasti-dip stuff. That'll last forever.

Jake

Thanks guys. But i don't think we really need a plastic thumb rest if they can wider the handle... The surge is stupid in this installment. :rolleyes:

Just got my Surge yesterday at Target for $79 bucks. I was planning to order one via the internet, but when I saw it there I had to have it. Yes, I could've gotten it a bit cheaper online but what can I say? I wanted instant gratification and I wanted it right now! :p

I like the tool's robustness and implement choices compared to my original Wave. The size/weight isn't a problem on my belt, but I wouldn't want to stick it in my pants pocket. I don't have any handle wobble yet since the tool is pretty tight from not being used yet. The original Wave is getting demoted to my car or motorcyle, and my Swisstool Spirit is moving to my brief case.

There are a couple of minor gripes:
1. The t-shank blade holder has a protruding part that digs into my hand sometimes - no big deal.
2. As a glasses wearer, I like the tiny screw driver, but such a limited implement sure takes up a lot of valuable space. It should be stored separately (SAK-style) and an additional implement should be in its spot on the tool. Again, no big deal.
3. My sheath SUCKS! It came with the low-end nylon one that has no sleeve for the spare t-shanks. It barely fits the tool and has a flimsy belt loop. This is a big deal, but is easily remedied.

Any suggestions on where to get a leather Surge sheath?

Foilist, if you found one in CT then I should have one fairly soon as well. I'm gonna try the local Target this coming week. ;)

RickJ said:
If any of you guys are looking for a Charge, I will have 2 for sale along with some other blades on the Exchange on Tuesday.

Sorry about my ignorance but what exchange on tuesday are you talking about, please let me know.
And if you have stuff for sale let me know too.

Tango44

so far, I'm in love with my surge, but I'm noticing it's getting hard to one hand open the serrated blade... but the straight edge still opens up as smooth as the day I got it. Maybe needs some oil.

Laike said:
so far, I'm in love with my surge, but I'm noticing it's getting hard to one hand open the serrated blade... but the straight edge still opens up as smooth as the day I got it. Maybe needs some oil.

Thats exactly what mine does :confused:

Back