Anybody got the new Leatherman Surge ??

you know i've always had this problem with my Wave. If you take the screw that hold the blades on and try to rotate the screw holding both sides of the screw and turn the screw until it starts to turn easy. It'll start hard then get easy then get hard again. Just find where there the least tension on the screw and find that. I hope you understand what i mean. Just turn the whole screw from the side the serrated blade is on and the side the bit exchanger is on. Just the whole screw lol.

Well boys, just got home from Target and got the last Surge on the shelf. I have no thumb nails left after trying to change the saw blade...but I got it. My initial overall reaction is that it was worth waiting for :thumbup:

no i just take my fingers, thumb on one side and pointer finder on the other and squeeze then turn the whole screw one way or the other. worked for me

wow.... you have some crazy grip then.... my fingers slide right off... all I've got to show for it is still a stubburn serrated blade and stiff fingers

Matches said:
Well boys, just got home from Target and got the last Surge on the shelf. I have no thumb nails left after trying to change the saw blade...but I got it. My initial overall reaction is that it was worth waiting for :thumbup:

Did yours come with the correct sheath? It seems that a shipment of them went out with the wrong one and Target ended up with a lot of them. I emailed Leatherman customer service, and they replied, saying that they'd mail the correct sheath to me ASAP. :thumbup:

Very interesting that you ask. When I got home I realized there was no holder inside the sheath for the bits. I then read the posts here about the wrong sheaths being shipped with the Surge. I don't believe "a few" got through by accident. I would like to see Leatherman do a re-call, after all, I did register the product, and I would be interested to see if they make this right. Since the bit holder is not as big a deal to me as to some others, I'd prefer to find out if Leatherman is proactive. ;)

I got mine in the mail yesterday. got the right sheath for it but I only got one bit.. It ios huge but the sheath has my mini pry bar in one side, fisher pen in the other, asp light in the front.

O only think now that suspenders is not an option but a nessesity.

Well, to use the phrase "too much gun" (Marshall Rooster Cogburn in True Grit), the Surge for me, is "too much tool". I use the old style wave for hunting and fishing and for me is the best compromise of function and size. I shall return the Surge to Target.

A question for all you out there who own the surge- I don't have a surge yet, and was looking at one the other day, and wondered if the thin metal that holds the file/saw/blade is strong enough that you can put much pressure on the side of the file. It seemd to me like it could bend if I used the file too hard. Am I right, or is it more sturdy than I think? Thanks for any info.

Luke, i have never had any problem with the attachment of the file/saw, and i use mine pretty much every day. Can you bear down on it like a normal file? No, but for the types of things you use a multitool for it works great:thumbup: If you press hard most of the flex i get (from the saw anyway), is from the blade itself. The shaft is a t-shank that goes into the holding slot about 1 inch. It's a pretty strong set up for what it is. As far as multis go, the Surge is dang tough. Not everyone will like it, but I'm very happy with my purchase.

jake

Yeah, I don't think you want to use the file to sharpen lawnmower blades or anything like that, but for removing a burr from a key, or knocking a sharp edge off metal when you have nothing else...it'll do ok:thumbup:

Steely_Gunz said:
Can you bear down on it like a normal file? No, but for the types of things you use a multitool for it works great ... The shaft is a t-shank that goes into the holding slot about 1 inch. It's a pretty strong set up for what it is.
What he said. :)

For saw use, I wouldn't worry about it; the t-shank set-up is plenty strong, nothing's gonna break there.

For file use, well, you might want to be a little more careful, since it's not nearly as strong laterally. Even on my other multis, though, I try to support the file by putting a finger on the back and pressing; it takes a load off the file tang and pivot, plus I find I get better control of the file.

Hello! I'm new to this forum and thought to post some of my vews on the Surge.
I've had the surge for 3 days now and so far it has impressed me alot.
Although it is a way heavy for a pocket device it has just the right tools in my opinion. To have the scissors up front is a huge advantage.
And no more feeling silly for having a blunt blade and not being able to sharpen it with the dimond file :)
One should be an enthusiast though to wear the Surge on a daily basis, it makes the Wave feel delicate indeed when compared.
The knife blades is a bit of an overkill, atleast with my European eyes. I wouldn't recomend showing the Surge of in public anywhere in Europe.
I wear the Surge in places I never would even think of wearing my hunting knife, but when comparing the two the blade of the Surge almost looks more threatening... I do hope my good looks wont attract the law enforcers of my country coz I'm not sure how they'll react if they see the Surge on my hip :)

romeomajk, your points are well-taken. It is work to wear the Surge on a daily basis, unless one is anticipating a lot of multi-tool tasks. I'm sure that the Surge blades could raise a few eyebrows here in the USA as well, under certain circumstances. The last time I was in Europe (Italy, chaperoning students), I brought a Victorinox Swisstool Spirit, with its unthreatening tipless blade.

Yeah the Spirit is interesting, does it feel as reliable as a Leatherman?
I was considering the Spirit but since I've had experience with the Wave and wanted something similar I went with the Surge and I'm not dissapointed.
I only miss being able to use it in public. As it stands now I find myself wearing not only the Surge but also the Squirt P4. That way I can open a soda without raising concern in a public place.

The Spirit is a quality peice, and I like the array of tools. Because of its familiar Victorinox logo, odd shape, and tipless knife blade, it looks "unweapon-like" enough so as not to bother anyone.

Back