Anyone buy a Tuff today?

Right on BillPete!

Hey! I can't help it if Ed Schempp made this chopper a folding knife...

It's not like I'm endorsing chopping down trees with it, why would you want to waste your time using the wrong tool for a job. All I'm saying is this thing is beefy enough and obviously designed to do snap cuts with your wrist. You have to handle it to understand. That being said, if a person uses common sense, there is no reason it can't do some light chop/slash type jobs without causing undue stress to the stop pin and pivot. It's built like a tank.

:D
Dude, I was one of the first to buy it, have it in hand and carry it. I even sold one before anyone else on here. Believe me, I understand, but not the chopping.

Right on BillPete!

Dude, I was one of the first to buy it, have it in hand and carry it. I even sold one before anyone else on here. Believe me, I understand, but not the chopping.

Yeah, you are right... I just can't bring myself to beat on this thing after all. It just feels wrong to chop with a folder no matter how much I want to try, but I don't hesitate to smack it aggressively into light stuff like cardboard and small branches etc. I'm not going to go beating on it with a baton though.

I'm sure the Tuff could handle a lot if you were stranded in a survival situation and had no other knife, but I really don't want to be the one to test it to the point of failure. It almost feels like a shame to have CPM 3V in a folder and not be able to beat on it... The steel is amazingly tough and better suited to a fixed blade camp knife.

I'm actually really curious as to what kinds of tough uses Mr. Schempp envisioned the Tuff being used for when he designed it and picked CPM 3V.

Either way, it's a great knife and I'm enjoying carrying it.

Use the Schempp Rock if you wanna chop things.

Actually, my wife usually commandeers my Rock for food prep duty when we go camping...

I use my Fiskars axe to chop wood, Fallkniven F1 for batoning the smaller kindling, and whatever knife I feel like playing with to make the rest of the fire tinder. I used the Tuff a lot for wood shavings and carving last time out, no chopping though. The 3V is overkill in a folder but oh well, most of this knife hobby is overkill to what I really need.

Just got tuff. What a cool blade. Fit and finish is spot
on, even the jimping cuts are as good as I've ever seen on a
blade- straight and clean. As a matter of fact an overall clean,
well fabricated sample. No oil marks and g-10 and ti edge cuts
are pristine. Centered blade, matching blade grinds and scales.
Totally blown away. This beast reminds me of a khukri.

My sample was a bit stiff to open at first, but once I realized
how much force to exert- no problem. Flicks open with wrist
action and lock-up release takes a quick getting use to. These
characteristics set it apart from other spydercos I have/had,
but that's a good thing- something different. It is just a solid
knife, can't help but grin when I hold it. Can't wait to use it
outdoors.

Thank you so much Spyderco. I've found the 3v folder I've
been waiting for.

tuffjimp.jpg

tuffjimpchoil.jpg

tuff.jpg

Last edited:
Got mine the other day, so far it has beat my 0550 out of my pocket. Which I have been carrying everyday since last january. I've been waiting for spyderco to make a knife like this. I love it. Its perfect for skinning and general outdoor use. Worth the money to me.

Back