Anyone carry a paring knife as a small lightweight edc type fixed blade ?

I have the same knife, and it's one of a few small knives I bought back in January/February with the intention of possibly using one of them as a carry knife in place of my usual folder selection here and there. I thought the stick-like handle would be off-putting, but it's a great little knife. It's shaped more like a miniaturized chef's knife than a regular parer (like a tiny petty with a tall heel or something) and combined with the thin handle I really like it for quick food prep tasks and the like.

I ended up carrying one of the other knives more, because it was so much smaller (a tiny Arno Bernard Meerkat that I really like) but I like the Zubeng, it's a neat little knife.
I do like the knife as well, but it needs some sheath work prior to regular carry. I am going to make a clipped pocket slip for it, similar to the one pictured below. I made this for a 3.5" bladed knife, so it should be comparable in length, just slimmer overall.
2018-04-26 19.55.16.jpg 2018-04-26 19.55.36.jpg

I use 3-4" Victorinox and Opinel paring knives for many tasks everyday and keep one in car too.They are inexpensive,hold decent edge and cut better than any folders and fixed blades I have.Are also easy to clean and are not agressive looking so can be used anywhere.Everyone should have at least couple of these.The serrated ones like jackknife has shown in plastic sheath are easy to carry and cut soft materials really well.Good sd option too.

Hi all,

Timely thread! I've been thinking along the same lines of late (that is to say) thinking about EDC carrying a Paring Knife. I have many a "Thrift Shop/Flea Market" Paring Knives that I like due to their (for me) handy size. I don't know if it's true or not however,
(According to information I found on the Net) : "this knife was made for Hoffritz by J.A. Henckels, one of the world's finest and most respected makers. The knife is from Hoffritz' "Top Of The Line" series and was made in Solingen, Germany. Hoffritz was a high-end New York based retailer that was probably at the height of their popularity in the 1950's and 1960's. They imported knives (among many other things) that were made by quality makers throughout the world. Many of their knives were made in Solingen, Germany by some of Solingen's top makers".

At any rate, regardless of weather or not I carry this knife on my "Person", I will plan to keep it in my "kit bag".
Mora's, Opinal's, Old Hickory, etc. all good choices.

HARDBALL
1_02d9a40194625a96fc86047bfce0752f.jpg

Hi all,

Timely thread! I've been thinking along the same lines of late (that is to say) thinking about EDC carrying a Paring Knife. I have many a "Thrift Shop/Flea Market" Paring Knives that I like due to their (for me) handy size. I don't know if it's true or not however,
(According to information I found on the Net) : "this knife was made for Hoffritz by J.A. Henckels, one of the world's finest and most respected makers. The knife is from Hoffritz' "Top Of The Line" series and was made in Solingen, Germany. Hoffritz was a high-end New York based retailer that was probably at the height of their popularity in the 1950's and 1960's. They imported knives (among many other things) that were made by quality makers throughout the world. Many of their knives were made in Solingen, Germany by some of Solingen's top makers".

At any rate, regardless of weather or not I carry this knife on my "Person", I will plan to keep it in my "kit bag".
Mora's, Opinal's, Old Hickory, etc. all good choices.

HARDBALL
1_02d9a40194625a96fc86047bfce0752f.jpg
Nice knife.
A few months ago I got a Wusthoff made boning knife for 65¢ , my example was made for some restaurant supply house but I did find some identical examples made for Hoffritz.

The quality of the knife is excellent, and I think it's because the company simply ordered some knjves that were already being produced to Hoffritz specifications.
From what I hear they had a high standard for quality control.

I'd likely own a CR2.5, but I'm around salt water enough that 1095 is more work than I want to deal with. I'd take one in 3V though.
I keep a food prep knife in my bag, but I'd have to be thoughtful about pocket carrying anything that could be taken as an improvised weapon. Horses for courses as they say.

Getting a jk Worker B&T so that will be about the same size as a Paring knife, I think, but small blade and good handle that allows good control is a good aspect to consider.

This is a great thread - glad it lives here in BF.

Since last summer, I have started to grow out of needing fixed blades that cut so-so, demand more effort to sharpen, and often come in steel stock in excess of 5/32". After realizing that my most used knives (kitchen knives) had the blade shapes I really prefer (less dramatic edge curvature up to the tip and more center line tips that pierced material better as a result - spear pointed parers, santokus, bunkas and gyutos) I started to look into paring and slicing type kitchen knives for outdoor use.

Some of the results of this intention:
Found this one Etsy, from a gent who stabilizes and dyes his own burl scales - Behenna Knives.
C4LIPa7l.jpg

This one from Damon Lusky of Alfa-Knives:
0Ye7ZNsl.jpg

I have found it a little harder to find a sheath for these knives. I wet formed a sheath for the Alfa-knives slicer, but the sheath was a little to big to start with and even after the wet form the smallish handle still did not have great retention. Should have started with a sheath with a smaller circumference hole.

Thanks for reading.

I'd likely own a CR2.5, but I'm around salt water enough that 1095 is more work than I want to deal with. I'd take one in 3V though.
I keep a food prep knife in my bag, but I'd have to be thoughtful about pocket carrying anything that could be taken as an improvised weapon. Horses for courses as they say.

Cool magazine

Crazy. I could make an improvised weapon out of a magazine, my keys, my watch, my laptop bag, my water bottle, my belt or just about anything else within 10' of me at any time .

Calling a 2.5" paring knife an improvised weapon is the modern state of insanity.

Couldn't every restaurant patron at a steakhouse be accused of brandishing a weapon??

Where do you live that has you concerned? One of the coasts, I assume?

Australia mate! This Canuck moved to nicer weather, and I've got it on good advice that either carry a KNIFE, or nothing at all. Not exactly, its pretty good here for carry, but you need lawful cause. A small knife in a lunchbox, not a big deal, but something that looks like its a thrift shop prison shank just for funsies, might be tough. I get buy with a SAK most of the time, because they have an exemption due to "their obvious utility purposes" My favorite line in legislation.

Cold steel has nice and sturdy paring knife,with nice handle,just needs a sheath,i have 2 of those,also their commercial series knives are pretty good.Old hickory has smaller 3-1/4inch and 4 inch utility knives that are sturdy and really inex0ensive,carbon steel knives that are pretty good too.Handles on cold steel parers are non slippery and excellent for emergency self defense.

Last edited:
Picked this up at a thrift store and reprofiled it. It had a broken tip, now i need to make a sheeth. Ill give it a EDC try.

Back