Anyone knows what's happening with Al Mar Knives?

The original maker of Al Mar knives was G.Sakai in Seki. Al Mar visited them back in the mid 70s as the design head for Gerber who contracted the Silver Knight folder. The relationship continued all throughout Al Mar Knives' history until Fadden took control. He tried to renegotiate the contract that Al Mar had with the Sakai family for decades. When they refused Fadden terminated the agreement and turned to Moki, also in Seki.

This is a bit of a complicated story but I will try to sum it up here:

1979: Creation of Al Mar Knives with Al Mar making the designs and G.Sakai manufacturing the knives. The deal was that Al Mar would have the rights to sell in the US and G.Sakai would have the rights to sell to the rest of the world.

1979 - 1992: Overtime the business relationship with G.Sakai degraded as they would stamp Al Mar's name on product not designed by him or with inferior quality than what was offered in the US

1992: Al Mar passes from brain aneurysm

1992 - 1997: The company is run by Al's widow Ann Mar. Unfortunately the business is not going well during that time period

1997: Gary Fadden buys 60% of Al Mar knives and runs the company. He cancels the contract with G.Sakai and manufacturing is switched solely to Moki

1997 - 2017: The relationship between Gary Fadden and Ann Mar becomes acrimonious as Gary Fadden doesn't give Ann her rightful share of profits. Furthermore as per faddenmarlawsuit.com Gary Fadden was renting parts of his home to the company as well as his car and so forth. Ann Mar wins the lawsuit and Gary Fadden is ordered by the court to pay about $90k-$95k

2017: Ann Mar passes away

2018 - 2020: Al Mar Knives is sold to ETE. Manufacturing is switched to China. The whole line is revamped by by turning all folders into flippers with a choice of D2 still or 8cr13mov exception for a line of Eagle/Falcon/Hawk in Honey Jigged Bone and AUS-8.

This should be a good summary but please correct me if I made a mistake somewhere.

This is a bit of a complicated story but I will try to sum it up here:

1979 - 1992: Overtime the business relationship with G.Sakai degraded as they would stamp Al Mar's name on product not designed by him or with inferior quality than what was offered in the US

1997: Gary Fadden buys 60% of Al Mar knives and runs the company. He cancels the contract with G.Sakai and manufacturing is switched solely to Moki

Can you tell me the source of (1979) above? Not saying it's right or wrong. Thanks.

I have a Al Mar Payara, in VG-10. It is marked on the left side of the blade "Al Mar" with his "Chop. On the right side it is marked "FM CO, Japan, Rexroat Design". I got it from the Cutlery Shop a few years back, so not sure if it was a current production or new old stock. John

I have a Al Mar Payara, in VG-10. It is marked on the left side of the blade "Al Mar" with his "Chop. On the right side it is marked "FM CO, Japan, Rexroat Design". I got it from the Cutlery Shop a few years back, so not sure if it was a current production or new old stock. John

New old stock!!! Company changed hands and went to China for production😥.....
You have a gem made by MOKI....Super quality blade.....

The new Chinese models have flippers, D2 steel and are assisted opening😠

Most definitely New Old Stock!
Agreed you have a gem!

It's funny how we have forgotten that D2 used to be a super steel in the 90s 🤯

I find very little difference between D2 and VG-10? Is that the main difference that D2 is made in the good ole USA? Sorry straying from the topic like i’ve never done that before! 😂

I find very little difference between D2 and VG-10? Is that the main difference that D2 is made in the good ole USA? Sorry straying from the topic like i’ve never done that before! 😂
D2 knives are not as stainless and many are heat treated softer than VG10. I prefer VG10.

Would you say D2 is ideal for those that like their blades to patina even forced patina?

D2 is made in many countries now. Knives made in China, such as today's "Al Mar" brand undoubtedly use China sourced D2.

Nice to see you around!
Thank brother. I think you been on the vintage al mar Facebook page before??

It's fun place. ........ yes I am back and buying the same things I bought and sold 3x. Lol. Take care

Back