AR15 anyone?

Hey all,

Looking to purchase my first AR15 and I was looking for some recommendations. Pref chambered in 5.56 so I can shoot both 5.56 and 223. No carry handle, Coyote brown rails, stock, and grip.(Though I can add those after)

Should I buy a complete built AR15 or build my own? If I build my own does anyone have recommendations for uppers and lowers and all the other parts I'll need, including a parts list.

Read some older threads but wanted new incite in case opinions have changed.

Thanks y'all.

If it's your first AR, I would recommend buying the whole rifle. If not that, just buy the lower and upper seperate, it'll save you some money as well. I have a Stag 2T, and bought the upper and lower seperate, and saved almost 300 dollars in doing so. Stag also would be a good rifle for ya. They are priced right, and have a great reputation for quality and realiability for their price point. Alot of guys will recommend stuff like BCM, Larue, Spikes, and many others, and those are all top notch company's, and worth the money, but you will also pay for it.

I purchased a Smith and Wesson M&P15 (model T I think?) and I really like it. Came with a flat top and a nice picatinny (sp.?) rail up front and a decent multi-position stock. Seemed to have better fit and finish than the Bushmaster also at a very good price. I have ~1500 rounds through it with no failures.

Build it. It's fun and the tools aren't too expensive.
You'll have a much better understanding of the weapon's inner workings if you build it. And any upgrades you do in the future will be easier because all the tools and knowledge are right there in the garage/man cave already.

Checked out Stag Arms, really like the price point on them.

Upper and Lower from Stag Arms with the other things I want coming from Magpul it'd run my right under $1100 without the Eo-Tech I like. This might just be the ticket here. :D

Build it. It's fun and the tools aren't too expensive.
You'll have a much better understanding of the weapon's inner workings if you build it. And any upgrades you do in the future will be easier because all the tools and knowledge are right there in the garage/man cave already.

That is a good point about building it. I think cost wise though, it gets a little expensive....Depending on the parts you buy I guess. I got my upper and lower online from different dealers, and it cost me about 900 bucks. Would have cost almost 1,300 bucks as a whole.
Couple of pics for ya to wet the appetite!
b8e605badd9d__1247312230000.jpeg

After some Krylon Multicam love!
2c08c2c613f5__1287667782000.jpeg

Hi Zini -

I just ordered a Rock River Arms complete lower with two-stage trigger, 6 position stock, and ergo grip. That will be right at $400 from my local shop.

I also ordered a White Oak Armament complete upper, with 20" varmiter barrel 1 in 7 twist. That is $595.

I also ordered an EOTech XPS2.0 - that lists for $519, but I got it for $460 from sportsmans guide dot com - I had to join their buyers club, but it saved me money. I also ordered 4 mil-spec 40 round clips from the same place, since I now get the 10% buyers discount.

The RRA lower is forged, and the WOA is a very high quality upper, many team shooters use his target barrels.

All you have to do is put the upper into the lower, install the two pins, load up a clip and you are ready to go.

I have about a 7 week wait now, though....

I also like the Smith M&P stuff, but I wanted to get an all-Illinois made piece that was very high quality.

I'll be doing coyote hunting and range use (~100 yards).

best regards -

mqqn

take a look at the cmmg bargin bin rifles. great price and good guns.

that or build your own.

take it easy
cricket

It comes down to price point. what are you willing to spend on a rifle?

Spikes out of florida.

and

Bravo Company Manufacturing (BCM) ... don't remember where they are out of right now..

are the best bang for the buck.

Check out Daniel Defense. They are cold forged made in Georgia and have an awesome warranty. Also I think something like within 90 days you can return it if you don't like it too.

I own 2 RR and love em both. Their chamber type is Wylde and handles both 223 and 5.56. Groups under an 1" at 100 yards (scoped of course). Also S&W has aggresive pricing on their AR.

take a look at the cmmg bargin bin rifles. great price and good guns.

that or build your own.

take it easy
cricket

I wish I did this. Inexpensive gun to start with and mod from there. Youre not married to this gun and it is just as easy to sell parts and mod the gun. It's not a bad idea.

I have Spikes, RRA, DPMS, and BCM parts to make a few guns. The Stag is a nice gun but I'm not sure if they MPI and HP test there bolts/ barrels. The Spikes is at the same price but I know Spikes is testing thier parts like BCM.

Build one. You'll learn a lot and its not that hard. I'm working on my first build right now. Its pretty fun researching what parts to buy next and then installing them... It does take a little longer to finish, i am a little anxious to finish it off and shoot it..haha.

There are tons of videos and forums to help you out.

For parts, I'd recommend bravo company as well. They're quick to ship and their prices are pretty good.

My vote for Spikes or BCM. You can buy the whole gun or build using parts they offer. Either way u can't go wrong. The lpk with the coating from
Spikes is sweet n smooth with all the enhancements most could want already in their kit. Bravo company offers one he'll of a value for their barrels. I have one of their ionbonded heavy ss barrels. If you dig around enough you can actually find out who makes em and it' a surprise. Lots of others make great ar's or kits too.

It comes down to price point. what are you willing to spend on a rifle?
Striker is right. If money is not a problem a Next Generation Arms MP168 is the best M4 I've used by a long shot, no pun intended. All moving parts a ceramic coated so you very rarely have to clean or lube it other than running a bore snake down it. Match grade barrel and trigger, quad rail, A.R.M.S. flip up sights, C.A.A. stock and grip. It's everything you want without having to build it yourself. And it comes in coyote brown.

Spend money the first time and you'll be set for life. Go Daniel Defense, or BCM.

Youre not gunna find many rifle that come with a coyote brown quad rail. You'll probably have to buy that separate.

I've handeled alot I currently own a spikes and colt. My next one will be amspikes 100% for a complete it's about 800 but if you buy the lower from your local FFL and ship the upper you get to skip the 10% lux tax

Be careful, AR's can be as addictive as blades :eek:

All of mine are LMT's and I've been VERY happy with them. Noveske would be nice but the piggy bank would take a major hit.
105quiet.jpg

Back