AR15 anyone?

Hey all,

Looking to purchase my first AR15 and I was looking for some recommendations. Pref chambered in 5.56 so I can shoot both 5.56 and 223. No carry handle, Coyote brown rails, stock, and grip.(Though I can add those after)

Should I buy a complete built AR15 or build my own? If I build my own does anyone have recommendations for uppers and lowers and all the other parts I'll need, including a parts list.

Read some older threads but wanted new incite in case opinions have changed.

Thanks y'all.

I would say build your own from a stripped lower, and BTW the black riflle market is on a huge decline so you should be able to a lower for like $100. And have you ever considered the 6.8 spc round it's all the rage these days for ar guys especially if you want to do some hunting too! I have a Stagg dgi , but you can also consider piston too(but more expensive) .....

Attachments

• IMG00146-20110308-2255.jpg
    IMG00146-20110308-2255.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
buy a stripped lower locally since it is the the only part that needs an FFL (Form 4473) and then lower parts kit/stock of your choice on line. It is pretty easy to assemble it with lots of tutorials online. Then you need a complete upper. Delton sells some inexpensive complete uppers. slap em together and you're done. I did it about two years ago and saved about $300 - $400 on a complete rifle.

The carbine is a Colt Sporter Pre-ban (which matters to me in NY) that I bought and the rifle length is an LRB lower with the aforementioned DelTon upper is the one I built both are 5.56

if going with a 5.56 caliber be sure to get an upper chambered in 5.56 not .223. you can shoot .223 in 5.56 but not 5.56 in .223...

20100218205528.jpg

Striker is right. If money is not a problem a Next Generation Arms MP168 is the best M4 I've used by a long shot, no pun intended. All moving parts a ceramic coated so you very rarely have to clean or lube it other than running a bore snake down it. Match grade barrel and trigger, quad rail, A.R.M.S. flip up sights, C.A.A. stock and grip. It's everything you want without having to build it yourself. And it comes in coyote brown.

They make these about 2 miles from my house the most accurate rifle I have ever shot this thing was giving my buddy .338 federal competition at 300yrds :eek: I talked to the owner who said they took there staandard model and soaked it in sand and salt water for 3 months then pulled it out and shot 5000 ROUNDS !!! Amazing You clean them with windex they do a armory course that the owner puts on at my local gun/range Center Target Sports (authorized dealer) . I cant say enough for this rifle I might have to buy one but would have to sell my gun and knife collection....:mad:

I agree on the 6.8 suggestion. My wife doesn't even shoot the 5.56 anymore. I'm only hanging on to it for my daughter to learn with once she's outgrown the the .22. My wife actually thinks the second 6.8 on the way is for her! LOL!! You DEFINITELY want to build it. AR's are more of an "assembly" than a "build". If you buy a bolt seperate from the barrel, be sure to headspace it. Other than that it is pretty straight forward. Be sure to not blow your wad on accessories at first. They won't make any difference without some good instruction and plain 'ole rounds downrange. By the way, that SPRONG sound is normal!!

6.8 is balls expensive. 5.56 has sufficient stopping power, its cheap, and has less recoil.

If money isn't a option... Noveske.... would be my first choice because of a combination of their product customer service and their company ethics. I have done some building with their barrels... I made a mistake with one and they fixed it for me .... basically took care of me.. no questions asked... charged me for the parts but not to do the work.... which was more than fair.

Knights Armament is another....

There have been rumblings that Noveske and Knights might be working on a project together but I can't confirm this .... so it just rumblings to me until it happens.

Noveske does have offerings in the 6.8 as well. 6.8 is a great round ballistically but it is more expensive to shoot because the round just hasn't gathered a following as much as it should have.

Again BCM keeps coming to mind for a no nonsense fighting mans rifle....

zini,

Go with a BCM. Best bang for the buck and damned good rifle. For a one and only AR, I recommend a 16" midlength. I sent you an email with a link where you can buy the base rifle for $983.00 and add the furniture if you want.

Out grow a 22? I'm half way to my sc discount at golden coral and I still buy and shoot 22lr. It just happens they are all alot quiter and cooler than my marlin papoose

P6180576.jpg

Love my LMT with Aimpoint CompM4S. I advise buying the lower and upper separately regardless of what make you go with. You save a little money on taxes.

Also, just as bladeforums.com is a great place to learn about blades, m4carbine.net is where you wanna be to learn everything you ever wanted to know about the AR.

zini: ar15.com is a wealth of information. m4carbine.net as well but i mainly surf arfcom because that's where larue, bcm manufacturer sub-forums, pat rogers, magpul guys, etc. posts and i like the guys in the reloading sub-forum.

Youre not gunna find many rifle that come with a coyote brown quad rail. You'll probably have to buy that separate.

krylon :)

All you have to do is put the upper into the lower, install the two pins, load up a clip and you are ready to go.

clip? you mean magazine.

magazine_vs_clip.jpg

If Money is no object.....LARUE!

ditto! no bs warranty and a very generous person. just gotta keep an eye on those 'dillos though.

dillo_ammo_stash.jpg

It comes down to price point. what are you willing to spend on a rifle?

Spikes out of florida.

and

Bravo Company Manufacturing (BCM) ... don't remember where they are out of right now..

are the best bang for the buck.

I am a HUGE fan of Spike's Tactical. Here is the latest one of theirs for me.
SpikesAR15.jpg

Anybody that tells you to buy this or that is full of it. Go to M4carbine and do the foot work so you can make an educated decision.

]IMG]http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd387/chavez556/utf-8BSU1HMDAxNDktMjAxMTAzMDgtMjI1Ni5qcGc.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

You're on the wrong site for AR info. You really need to do some research over at http://m4carbine.net/forum.php

Good point. I think that knife people might be able to understand the AR big picture better than gun people. Knife people seem to get the whole metallurgy thing.

Most of us would agree that AUS-4 isn't "just as good" as S30V. We realize there is a good reason we pay more for a knife with good blade steel.

Do your homework and ask yourself:
Is 4140 barrel steel "just as good" as 4150CMV?
Is 8620 bolt steel "just as good" as 158 Carpenter?
Is a 6061 aluminum receiver extension "just as good" as a 7075T6 piece?

Simple6.... He asked for recomendations from the people here who frequent the ESEE forums.

If you don't have anything positive to contribute then sometimes it is best to not answer at all.

Better to be thought a fool then open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

Very cool thread - I have been thinking about adding an "assault rifle" to my humble collection of two shotguns, 10/22 and an 1894ss in .357.

Was actually trying to decide between an M1A or an AR15 - especially living in NY, the M1A is a much "easier" option because I dont have to deal with the no collapsible stock and pistol grip crap.

Which company would be the "Jeff and Mike" or ESSE of the AR15 world?

Last edited:
Back