Are spyderco knives overpriced?

No. I think that Spyderco COULD charge a lot more for their knives to be honest. The reason I say that is materials and designs. The high-quality materials and very good, almost scary good ergo's and overall range of designs, purposes, lock types, etc. means, to me at least, that their knives are usually the absolute best buy. Compare other MFG's materials, designs, and PRICING POLICY (not mentioning names), and you'll be very hard-pressed to say a Spyderco is overpriced.

No , spydercos are in the most part priced very fair. I do think some of the Taichung models are a little pricey but they boast the quality and steel to back it up....

To me it's what you can afford like all knives . Spyderco makes excellent using knives, love to get the high end knives but can't. so I go with the Endura which I have several & find it as my high end knife. The Endura is a great user, have several in ffg, I picked up a few Slipits awhile ago & it was great, for a low price it's all I need, looking to get more. If you can get a higher end knife a slipit or Endura is worth it or whatever you like. Spyderco has an excellent service, I'm no a-- kisser, but they are number 1 in the knife in my knife world. They serve me well. Thanks Sal & CO. Thanks Gary

Would like to say Spyderco makes excellent knives. No matter what price. GC

This is true but if you haven't noticed even though I just started I've been more than capable of debating on a certain knife or knives with people that have owned knives for years I do my research I know what a good quality knife is and all though I just opened this account, I've been knowing and researching knives for 2 years and yet I know just as much as any knife collector/ user

Interesting thread. I am curious to know what makes you think you have as much knowledge as any knife collector/user? You could be "knowing" and researching knives for over 10 years and still not have the knowlege as some of the guys on here. You can learn something new everyday.

If you have absolutely 2 identical (clones by same creator) items. If 1 cost 1 cent and is available and another cost 2 cents and is available. The 2 cent item is over priced . anything else is opinion. If you buy the 2 cent item. You over paid. At least how I see it. I have yet to buy an overpriced knife that I know of and will never go back to check.

I have bought 7 Spydercos since December 31st. None have had a single flaw. I paid between $50 and $75 for 5 of them, $100 for one, and $115 for another. Two were used. AGAIN, NONE have had any flaws.

Last year I bought 3 knives from another maker (two of them over $200, one was $150 used) in three months. One had two screws falling out of the scale when it arrived (BRAND NEW) and another developed play in the pocket clip a week after I gave to someone as a gift. I think that brand of knives is probably overpriced (yet all the forum fanboys accept it and talk about how "once-in-a-while-a-lemon-will-make-it-through" and have no qualms of having to return knives right out of the box and THEN RAVE ON THE FORUM about how "wonderful" the customer service is!)

Spyderco knives are NOT overpriced in my opinion.

You could be "knowing" and researching knives for over 10 years and still not have the knowlege as some of the guys on here. You can learn something new everyday.

Definitely agree. Many of us who have been collecting for a long time are(including myself) "experts" in the general population but not compared to others who have been collecting and learning longer and especially not when compared to those who have made a career from studying and creating knives. We may know more than 99% of the world, but we all have much more to learn. Knowledge is not finite. The wisest man(or woman) knows only that they know nothing at all.

BTW, have those fall ing spyderco overpriced familiarized themselves with the Byrd brand budget line of spydies? They're basically spydies for those on a budget who don't want premium steels. Same with tenacious/ambition etc. I think that's pretty cool and wish other companies would do that.

No, Spyderco knives are not overpriced. Consider all the variables of materials, designs, multiple manufacturing facilities within differing economic environments, consistency of quality within product lines and material types, and continuous improvement and innovation dynamics that produce new products on a regular basis. Consider all of that, make a business model around it, and see what your costs and margins are. I think the objective truth of the matter really negates the argument; unless one wants to debate Spyderco's totally ludicrous executive management compensation packages (do you guys really need six company jets and a limo with a hot tub in it??).

yet I know just as much as any knife collector/ user

Can you make one?
Let's see it. :)

If not, others here might just have a tad more knowledge, both about knives themselves, and why some of them are priced as they are.

Plus, there's always more to learn, every single day about everything.
To "know" things is to cut oneself off from learning.

Of course they're overpriced. Now stop buying them and save the rest for us! :D But really, overpriced depends on your own views. A Ferrari is overpriced to me because any car will serve me well. If you think the knife is overpriced, don't buy them. If I were to tell you a $1000 Spyderco were not overpriced, would you buy it? I think value is a personal choice for most people, and it doesn't really matter what I think- it's your choice to buy or not buy. But for what it's worth, I think the price is fair given what is being offered. Hence my modest, student-budget, collection.

Expensive, but not overpriced. I can't (and won't here) say the same for other manufacturers though.

Can you make one?
Let's see it. :)

If not, others here might just have a tad more knowledge, both about knives themselves, and why some of them are priced as they are.

Plus, there's always more to learn, every single day about everything.
To "know" things is to cut oneself off from learning.

I apologize that came out the wrong way what I should have and meant to say was common knowledge like any knife user/ collector. And I agree there is always something new to learn we never know what knife will be produced next and I apologize for sounding like I knew everything

So the general consensus here (like 99% of the responses minus the Taiwan freak) is that they are fairly priced... Hope it stays that way.

This is true but if you haven't noticed even though I just started I've been more than capable of debating on a certain knife or knives with people that have owned knives for years I do my research I know what a good quality knife is and all though I just opened this account, I've been knowing and researching knives for 2 years and yet I know just as much as any knife collector/ user

So prove it. How much is this worth:

On topic:

No, Spyderco knives are not overpriced. I wish that they were a lot cheaper so that I could own more, but then I would own none, as Spyderco would go out of business.

Back