Are you happy now ? Whats next ?

I'm mostly happy with my pile of steel. Though there is a few knife brands I haven't tried yet such as Lion Steel , Southern Grind, Protech. I have a few Spydercos I want to get, The Police 4 and a Gayle Bradley at the top of the list. And..yeah I should quit while I'm ahead.

Happy with my crew? Yes!
Am I done? Nah, I quit kidding myself about that one:)
Things are slowing quite a bit though.

Here's my current users and the excuses I made up to buy them.:D

FOLDERS
Formal gents (small) - Chaparral
Formal gents (large) - 940-1
EDC gents (bright) - Rookie G10,
EDC gents (dark) - 707 Sequel
Barbecues, game day etc. (guys day out) - GB2
EDC (large) - 940
EDC (work) - Manix2 LW
Farm - GB1

FIXED
Skinning - ESEE 3
Camp carry - Spyderco Sprig
Heavy chores/yard work - Kiffe bolo
Truck knife - RAT Cutlery RC6

I'm thinking a Mnandi or something similar next.
And you should definitely consider a med- large fixed.

I'm happy with my "collection" where it's currently at as well. Probably won't change until I switch my job/career. As it sits now I have all my bases covered with four knives:

- Benchmade Bugout - Off work EDC
- Benchmade Custom Griptilian - Work EDC
- Spyderco Pacific Salt - Kayak & beach carry
- Esee 4 - Truck emergency knife and sometimes hiking

I've got everything covered and I am happy. That said, I'm always looking for what is next, need having nothing to do with it...

And as was said above, without a medium and/or large fixed blade I would not consider my knife needs "covered".
Is there any fixed blade that is a "must have" persay? I was honestly thinking about trying to get my wife out of the house on some weekends and go camping. But I definitely don't want to look like a fool with my little G3!
There’s been times where I was happy with my collection; thinking I had enough. But then, like many others here, my interest got triggered again and I quickly bought some more.
The cool thing about collecting is you can create a “style” or a “look” for your collection as a whole. Then once you’re bored with that, you go out and buy something different from what you typically like. That mixes things up and you get interested again because you went outside-the-box a bit.
Sounds like you got a nice little collection though, so well done! :thumbsup:
I agree my friend, every time I open my drawer of knives it bring a little smirk to my face. Like you said it's something that you personally will love for many years to come and it's even a good way to see how your likes/dislikes change over the years.
Happy collecting !

Happy with my crew? Yes!
Am I done? Nah, I quit kidding myself about that one:)
Things are slowing quite a bit though.

Here's my current users and the excuses I made up to buy them.:D

FOLDERS
Formal gents (small) - Chaparral
Formal gents (large) - 940-1
EDC gents (bright) - Rookie G10,
EDC gents (dark) - 707 Sequel
Barbecues, game day etc. (guys day out) - GB2
EDC (large) - 940
EDC (work) - Manix2 LW
Farm - GB1

FIXED
Skinning - ESEE 3
Camp carry - Spyderco Sprig
Heavy chores/yard work - Kiffe bolo
Truck knife - RAT Cutlery RC6

I'm thinking a Mnandi or something similar next.
And you should definitely consider a med- large fixed.
Awesome sounding collection man, would you recommend anything close to the bolo you speak of? im thinking I'd have to lean more towards the 5" maximum mark though, as I use the edge pro system to sharpen my blades. So I can't get anything TOO crazy.

Awesome sounding collection man, would you recommend anything close to the bolo you speak of? im thinking I'd have to lean more towards the 5" maximum mark though, as I use the edge pro system to sharpen my blades. So I can't get anything TOO crazy.
The bolo has a 10.5" blade.
Unless you're doing some type of heavy chopping or batoning large pieces of firewood, in my opinion you really don't need anything larger than a 5-6" blade. There are sooooo many good ones. Kabar, ESEE, Crothers just to name a few. Lots of good stuff on the Maker's forum also.

The bolo has a 10.5" blade.
Unless you're doing some type of heavy chopping or batoning large pieces of firewood, in my opinion you really don't need anything larger than a 5-6" blade. There are sooooo many good ones. Kabar, ESEE, Crothers just to name a few. Lots of good stuff on the Maker's forum also.
I might go the custom route for something like that in this case then. Ill check out that part of the forums on my spare time and see if I can strike a deal with someone.

I have: 1spyderco, 1 benchmade, 1crk, 1 Olamic, 1zt (and one on the way), and 4 hinderer's.

What's next is a hinderer half track.
I'm also trying different steels. I tried cts110v and love it. I'd like to try M4 and k390.

Totally happy, but nowhere near done. My collection consists of (mostly) different locking/opening mechanisms. There is, as far as I can tell, no end to that particular rainbow. However, I have slowed down.

I have: 1spyderco, 1 benchmade, 1crk, 1 Olamic, 1zt (and one on the way), and 4 hinderer's.

What's next is a hinderer half track.
I'm also trying different steels. I tried cts110v and love it. I'd like to try M4 and k390.
I tried to do the same thing as I'm a big statistics guy, I tried to get different steels with each purchase. It's fun seeing how well they all perform in different applications. The only thing about M4 that I dislike is the maintenance. But I feel as I'm the wrong guy to praise M4 seeing as I'm in Florida so the humidity just eats that knife alive :(

Totally happy, but nowhere near done. My collection consists of (mostly) different locking/opening mechanisms. There is, as far as I can tell, no end to that particular rainbow. However, I have slowed down.
You know what I've done to cope with the lack of purchasing a new knife for myself? Buy them for relatives or co-workers and vicariously through them! It's helped the "sickness". Only thing is..it's sometimes hard to convince a non-knife enthusiast to drop 100$+ bucks on a knife!

Does it seem like your taste keep getting more expensive? That's the route I'm going down now. My next interest is a Shiro sadly. Although I'm not even sure if I'd bring something like that to work, yah know?

Thanks man! What have you got so far?

It does and it doesn't. So The very first "expensive" knife to me I ever bought was $90. I've owned several Chris Reeve's, Hinderer's, Striders and plenty others that are well over $200 which is what I consider to be expensive now but I know what I want and what to expect over that price. I have really been looking into higher end like Rockstead and Shiro but also customs even though I'm not in the market at the time because of the $ but I've narrowed it down to several makers that when I do get the money hopefully they'll still be around and I can pick one up. I'm just generally hard on my knives and don't baby them so I'm trying to get something that I can just beat on.

You know what I've done to cope with the lack of purchasing a new knife for myself? Buy them for relatives or co-workers and vicariously through them! It's helped the "sickness". Only thing is..it's sometimes hard to convince a non-knife enthusiast to drop 100$+ bucks on a knife!
I've moved a few to my wife, son, and friends as well. :thumbsup:

It does and it doesn't. So The very first "expensive" knife to me I ever bought was $90. I've owned several Chris Reeve's, Hinderer's, Striders and plenty others that are well over $200 which is what I consider to be expensive now but I know what I want and what to expect over that price. I have really been looking into higher end like Rockstead and Shiro but also customs even though I'm not in the market at the time because of the $ but I've narrowed it down to several makers that when I do get the money hopefully they'll still be around and I can pick one up. I'm just generally hard on my knives and don't baby them so I'm trying to get something that I can just beat on.
I feel the same way my friend, I feel like I'll buy a Shiro and then it'll just sit there as I'm too afraid to "use" it. But..when I was initially looking at a Sebenza21 I had the same thought "Man that knife is beautiful, I'm not going to use that for my edc task" eventually though..the new-ness wears off and you realize that you bought a tool after all and if you're anything like me you liking using your tools! I feel as if this is a hobby where a persons "bottom dollar" is ever expanding :confused:

I keep telling myself, "these two knives, then I will have my PERFECT assortment of knives" How could I need any more, I have a knife for every situation? Oh, well, do I need two of every knife, so I can have one for rough use and the other as a backup? It never ends! I will have to limit myself, say two knives a year, tops, and limit the price. No more customs!!

I keep telling myself, "these two knives, then I will have my PERFECT assortment of knives" How could I need any more, I have a knife for every situation? Oh, well, do I need two of every knife, so I can have one for rough use and the other as a backup? It never ends! I will have to limit myself, say two knives a year, tops, and limit the price. No more customs!!
If you don't mind me asking who did you use for your customs?! I haven't experienced that part of this hobby yet.
A well rounded collection should have at least one custom bowie/fighter.

Charlie that thing is mean looking! Is she just for show or have you ran her through some test?

It's entirely functional. When I build, the emphasis is on capability as an offensive/defensive weapon.

If you want a chisel ground bowie, I'm the guy...

Back