Ask Toooj

Hello Tooj,
Any chance of aftermarket grips for the bushcraft woodsman ?
The grips from factoryare way too slick and not secure while chopping as seen on several youtube videos
Can the factory grips be removed or are they epoxyed ?
Thanks

Dingy,

The 498 and the FF6 both have narrow, hidden tangs. (same as the Chimera) The difference is the FF6 tang end is threaded while the 498 end has a cross hole as the pommel is pinned onto the tang.
The 499 also has a narrow hidden tang. The tang end has a long stepped end (same as the FF6) but no threading as the pommel is peened onto the handle.
There are small radii on all corners according to the Mil-Specs.

Revolver,

There are no concrete plans to change the handle material as of yet. However we are making some Micarta handles for a special run of the Bushcraft Machetes...if they are successful, we may offer Micarta on our other Bushcraft handles.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

What kind of tang does the M9 Bayonet have? I've seen pics of versions (I believe Buck) with a "full stick tang" that is threaded and ones with a short threaded tang that has a metal tube that threads on to it.

Dingy,

The 498 and the FF6 both have narrow, hidden tangs. (same as the Chimera) The difference is the FF6 tang end is threaded while the 498 end has a cross hole as the pommel is pinned onto the tang.
The 499 also has a narrow hidden tang. The tang end has a long stepped end (same as the FF6) but no threading as the pommel is peened onto the handle.
There are small radii on all corners according to the Mil-Specs.

Revolver,

There are no concrete plans to change the handle material as of yet. However we are making some Micarta handles for a special run of the Bushcraft Machetes...if they are successful, we may offer Micarta on our other Bushcraft handles.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

i got it , thanks.

May I take the butt off with bare-hand?

Last edited:
Dingy,

All of the threaded tangs use Red Loc-tite to secure the pommel. a padded vise and padded pliers or vise grips may do the trick.

Sharp Knives 86,
The M-9 that Ontario makes uses a threaded rod to connect the threaded stub tang of the blade to the pommel. I do not know the history of the M-9 Design prior to Ontario. There are many Military knife experts on Blade forums that can shed more light on that subject than I.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Comapny

Best Regards,

Thanks Toooj, that's what I wanted to know. I saw a video of a guy stabbing and cutting bricks as well as stick the knife in a a tree and stand on it and it didn't break so I'm not too worried about the tang's durability.

Also what steel is the USN MK3 navy knife made of. I've seen it listed a s being 440a and 420HC.

Sharp,

The Navy Mk III used to be made from 440A. It is now made from 420HC.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Comapny

Hi, Toooj,

Few days ago i brought a new 499 , this new knife is my second 499.

there is "3-11" stamped on the pommel of my 499s .
is "3-11" date of manufacture ?

Quick question: Is the 1095 steel used in OKC knives domestically sourced from American foundries or is it made overseas?

Dingy,

The number is the date of manufacturing. We made a ton of them during that time period due to gov. contacts and commercial sales.

Paul_Atreides,

We always try to source domestically. That being said, sometimes it's hard to determine the source. We buy from domestic sheet mills and sometimes they order from foreign sources. By foreign, I mean European..Buderus, Bohler, et al.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

hi Toooj,

when i visit OKC website , and i found that there are some items labled as "second" .
and I was wondering that when i get a OKC knife in hand , how can i point out it is a second or not ?

i mean that are there differences from appearance ?

dingy,

All of our seconds are marked with a "2" usually on the handle. They are seconds for cosmetic reasons only so there should be no worries about performance of the knife.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

The ontario Cerberus looks like an excellent design. I was wondering if D2 was tough enough in such a knife. I heard that this steel tends to chip...
Any metalurgical insight from Tooj on this topic ?
Thanks

Revolverrodger,

Good question. There are tougher steels around but they won't hold an edge like D2. A lot of D2 chipping comes from a variety of issues: Too high of hardness, too thin of an edge, improper use... With the Cerebus, we worked with a Hi level Spec Ops group (which shall not be named) to come up with the knife particulars: profile, edge geo, the edge thickness, steel type; etc. It was supposed to be for members of that group but funding changed and now everyone else gets to buy it.
I think you will be happy with the results, if not contact our Customer Service people.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Hi Tooj,
I recently picked up three OKC "M10" bayonets and wanted to know how scarce these are?I received a document by Mr.Brett from Gregg at mocityman.com stating that there are less than 300 made,but the document also says these were marked on both sides.All three of mine are only marked on one side.All dated 2004.

I also have two OKC Catalogues,2008 and 2009,showing these bayonets listed.Surely it didnt take five years to sell 300 bayonets,or am I missing something?
Any and all help very much appreciated,thankyou.
Darryl from Australia.

zanussi01,

Thanks for your post. Here is what I found:
1) The M-10 was an attempt to get the US Army it's own Bayonet.
2) It sold from the end of 2005 to mid 2011
3) 1235 units were produced
4) The differences between the M-10 and the M-9:
Steel: M-10: 1095; M-9: 420Mod
Steel Coating: M-10 Phosphate; M-9: Black Oxide
Handle: M-10:polypro?; M-9 Hard Glass filled Nylon
Handle Color: M-10: Tan; M-9: OD Green
Sheath: M-10 same as M-9 but with no lower cross strap ears

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

HI Toooj

i reall like bowie blade style bayonet , and wanna buy one ock3s add into my collection .

what i wanna know is that does the OKC3S has full tang construction or rod tang like M9's ?

Last edited:
Dingy,

The OKC 3s has a full length stick tang. The ring guard and handle are slid onto the tang and the latch plate is swedged to the tang end.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Hi Toooj,

can we expect Rat Model 2 in better steel (at least D2) and maybe better scales (micarta or G10)?
Would it be fair to say this year?

Thanks!

BR

Chiller,

It's not on our New Prod list. But We can discuss.
Typically, the modified versions come from a large Customer or Big Box request.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Back