Astonishing Auctions

This is another one that sold within a few hours of being posted.
I was fairly astounded by it when I saw it but in retrospect it probably shouldn’t have. It appeals to collectors of gas station memorabilia as well.

99% Sure that Mobil head is a modern day etch, not a factory produced head. I have etched about a dozen axes and can usually spot similar work, it's very hard to pull off an authentic 1880-1930s etch. The biggest tell-tale sign is how sloppy the words are, the horse is done rather well. The biggest red flag for me, is the lack of words. Most etched axes will feature more words that depict the mfg or the hardware store it belongs to, or a slogan or some other content. This is rather "plain" as far as any text goes. I'm also always wary when you come across an etch that no one has ever seen before.

Plenty of good users out there one can find at antique stores and garage sales, the collectible ones are getting harder to find, and more expensive, but that's sort of the point of a collectible. The desirability is part of the appeal, not all of it, but a part of it. Ebay also tends to sell raw heads where Etsy is flooded with restored axes, some people want to buy an axe ready to use, and some want to do the leg work themselves.

Yes of course, I would imagine the frequenters of this sub do all those things and realize this. You are for sure right about eBay vs. Etsy re heads and refurbs as far as I've seen. I have to say, naturally not everyone wants to do the work themselves of course. It's the price people are asking for doing it that's my annoyance. I don't think people need to charge a huge premium - sometimes running in the hundreds - for what is a nominal to moderate task. I've never seen a hang I'd pay $200+ for.

But I also think people who spend $250 for a stump of an axe aren't users of axes at any rate. Or $400+ to hang a $60-70 eBay (already inflated) head. I think that's taking advantage of oblivious buyers. It's really unfortunate that element has become involved, what with counterfeits and all. Hate to see axes caught up in that and the "boutique-ing."

Ooh. A William Mann Red Warrior on eBay now. The eye is bulged but it’s only the second one that I have seen come to auction.
41-E7722-E-1-B36-42-BD-AE4-F-AF200-B333-BAC.png

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I got lucky with my own auction that was astonishing to me. (on a smaller level).

I listed a Norlund sheath with a Buy It Now for $30 on it.
After refusing an offer for less than $30, someone bid the minimum bid of $10 on it removing the Buy It Now option.

Can you believe that by the time the auction closed the sheath, just the sheath, went for $130!?!
(I’ve seen Saddle Cruisers WITH sheaths go for around $150..)

D23-E56-B0-4-C56-4-E5-E-BB17-6164-EABBA773.jpg

I got lucky with my own auction that was astonishing to me. (on a smaller level).

After refusing an offer for less than $30, someone bid the minimum bid of $10 on it removing the Buy It Now option.

Can you believe that by the time the auction closed the sheath, just the sheath, went for $130!?!

How do i find your store??

How do i find your store??
I don’t have a store or even sell axes typically. That was just an anomaly and I had no idea it was worth that much...
In fact other that that Black Raven I sold to scrape up some cash, the only other axe that I have sold on eBay was that little blackened Norlund with a vintage handle and custom sheath that (I think) I posted pictures of here. But it only fetched a paltry $95.

I flirted with selling a Lincoln and that El Lobo I just finished but couldn’t pull the trigger. It’s hard for me to let these things go or to even get used to the idea of them being in your life for just a little while. My nature is to think of these as treasures meant to be coveted and cloistered away.

I considered Norlunds leaverights at one time. I would leave them right where I found them with no interest in them at all. Silly of me.

Back