AUS8A SRK "Destruction Test" video

I don't know if this video has been posted yet. Very impressive-the toughness of it's blade.

http://youtu.be/mN0kfBMt-5M

I don't understand why Cold Steel's AUS8A gets such a bad rap, when Busse's INFI is no better in the edge retention department (but it will get defended for its toughness). In fact, a Busse can't even retain it's edge during shipping.

Can a Busse stand up to this? I am sure that it can, but 99.99% won't cut anything more than the occasional sheet of paper.

But we all know that a $70 SRK can.

That is one the best knife videos i've seen. Enjoyed watching it. Never owned an AUS-8 fixed blade before and i must say i'm tempted to buy one now. AUS 8 on a folder for me though has always had chipping and edge retension issues with minimal contact with wood. But maybe it's different with a fixed blade. I have to try one now!:D Thanks for posting.:thumbup:

Cool story bro. Why the Busse hate? Did they steal your lunch money?

Impressive. It look like al CS would need to do now is to change the knife so the tang stick out of the end just a bit. Great video.

Holy crap, that's just amazing. I know the SRK was made to be used, but hot DAMN that's a tough blade! Makes me glad to own one now

This is a nice destruction test BUT what about the edge retention?
Probably the older model in carbon steel would have held up better.
SRK is a classic very good knife.

While I am a fan of many Cold Steel products, I also own my fair share of Busse/kin and I enjoy them both. When you ask "Can a Busse stand up to this?" that's a pretty easy answer. Yes it can, any day, all day and twice on Sunday. A Busse can take a beating like very few can but it should for the extra expense. BUT I have also beaten the hell out of a few of my Cold Steel knives and have yet to be disappointed. I will say that for the overall VALUE, Cold Steel is very tough to beat when up against ANY manufacturer. To this day, I still have a very hard time picking up my Busse TGLB over the Recon Scout that has severed me so well. The $95 Recon Scout can do everything that the $500 TGLB can for my use and it comes with a quality sheath to boot and a much better cutting edge from the factory. Maybe I'm not as abusive on my gear as some but I've never found a real world situation that I needed to baton an 8" log or chop concrete and that's the only way I've ever seen any quality big blades break. Having said all that, Cold Steel makes some of the best value knives in the industry. They are consistently the sharpest out of the box knives from any manufacturer that I have seen on any price point. Busse makes amazing knives that will last a lifetime and have absolutely beautiful craftsmanship. Its easy to get caught up in being brand myopic (speaking from experience) but there's no need. Try to let each model live and die on its own merit in your experiences. Figure out what you like and need. I'm of the opinion of 'buy them all, try them all and enjoy them all'.:thumbup:

I think Aus-8A is a great steel and never understood peoples hate for it. I really think is comes down to sharpening skills.

This is a nice destruction test BUT what about the edge retention?
Probably the older model in carbon steel would have held up better.
SRK is a classic very good knife.

He did some thin slicing of an orange afterwards. Looked to me like the edge was still adequate. Maybe not hair popping sharp, but still a decent utility edge.

To me, the SRK is a rough use/combat-utility knife. A clip point for decent stabbing ability, yet the tip is still beefy enough not to easily break. The saber grind pots plenty if steel behind the edge, so you are less likely to get waves/server chip outs. It also helps to increase the lateral strength of the blade. However, it is a better slicer in my experience that the similar Fallkniven A1, which is just to obtuse with its convex grind, for finer cutting tasks. The handle is also much more comfortable to use (the exposed tang at the pommel of the A1 digs into the meat of my big ol' mitts)

Also, the ricasso to tang transition is nicely rounded, to lower the likelihood of a stress riser forming, and causing a failure.

Finally, whoever the manufacturer Cold Steel uses for their Japan made knives, has done of the best QC in the knife business.

Every Japanese made cold steel knife I do, or have ever owned, has flawless fit and finish. The only other manufacturer I have found that is equal, is Rowan. Not even the Camillus made Carbon V knives do not compare in regards to fit and finish. All the Japanese made Cold steel knives, be it made in San Mai III, or AUS 8A, the grinds, etc are perfect.

Not even my Fallkniven A1 could come close to approaching the fit and finish off my AUS8 SRK

He did some thin slicing of an orange afterwards. Looked to me like the edge was still adequate. Maybe not hair popping sharp, but still a decent utility edge.

To me, the SRK is a rough use/combat-utility knife. A clip point for decent stabbing ability, yet the tip is still beefy enough not to easily break. The saber grind pots plenty if steel behind the edge, so you are less likely to get waves/server chip outs. It also helps to increase the lateral strength of the blade. However, it is a better slicer in my experience that the similar Fallkniven A1, which is just to obtuse with its convex grind, for finer cutting tasks. The handle is also much more comfortable to use (the exposed tang at the pommel of the A1 digs into the meat of my big ol' mitts)

Also, the ricasso to tang transition is nicely rounded, to lower the likelihood of a stress riser forming, and causing a failure.

Finally, whoever the manufacturer Cold Steel uses for their Japan made knives, has done of the best QC in the knife business.

Every Japanese made cold steel knife I do, or have ever owned, has flawless fit and finish. The only other manufacturer I have found that is equal, is Rowan. Not even the Camillus made Carbon V knives do not compare in regards to fit and finish. All the Japanese made Cold steel knives, be it made in San Mai III, or AUS 8A, the grinds, etc are perfect.

Not even my Fallkniven A1 could come close to approaching the fit and finish off my AUS8 SRK

Great! Thank you!:thumbup:

Had a Voyager AUS8A some time ago, gone now. Never had a problem with the steel. Did great. I've always wanted an SRK and now I NEED one! I was thinking about some of the batoning, though, "It's no fun 'till someone loses an eye!"

Zieg

Last edited:
No, but I do think they are insanely overpriced, and over rated.

You literally have to own one to understand the hype. And if you fail to understand... Well... they retain value better than any other knife on the market. :D

i agree with what other have said cold steel makes some of the best knives for the money
i personally like their aus-8 and find that it can get sharper than most other blade steels if sharpened correctly..
my only complaint about cold steel(other than the knife world politics/feuds between knife makers which i dont take much part in, if i like a knife its because i like it not because 1000 people online like it...) is the blade production in China and Thailand..its really unacceptable to be supporting blades made from those country's imo and i do my best not to..the only Chinese made blades i own at the moment are a cold steel kobun i have had for almost a decade and my ronin katana..all of the cold steel blades i have(other than the kobun) is stamped made in japan and i am very happy with them.

I think Aus-8A is a great steel and never understood peoples hate for it. I really think is comes down to sharpening skills.

I've been thinking the same thing lately. I'm very happy with Cold Steel's AUS-8A. I've begun to wonder if perhaps some people don't like it because they aren't very good at sharpening.

I've been thinking the same thing lately. I'm very happy with Cold Steel's AUS-8A. I've begun to wonder if perhaps some people don't like it because they aren't very good at sharpening.

I was taught as a kid with my Buck 110 to sharpen using a stone. Later when I started trying super steels, edge retention vs time to bring it back was not worth it. I agree with you about people and sharpening skills wanting a super steel, so they can be lazy. But I bet many of these people do not use their knives, but just want to know that if they have to, they won't have to sharpen it.

Nobody remembers the Noss test on the Carbon V SRK? It did very well too until he snapped it in two. AUS8-A is a very tough stainless steel, a good choice for a stainless fixed blade designed for a combat/utility knife.

Back