1. Our COVID-19 response can be found here

Axe handle making, modifications, repair and more

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Maine20, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    Speaking of delaying our gratification, I've tarred my handle on this kirves of Finland strung up now curing in the hay loft. It might be handleable come spring-time with any luck.[​IMG]

2. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Almost have this one finished; 20191003_151416.jpg

I was trying to make a slender one and I think I achieved a little too much success! She's a tad thin in the grip. I've got it farther along than this but I ran out of light. Looking forward to getting it finished tomorrow. I'll post it up! Take care!

FLINT77, A17, Agent_H and 4 others like this.
  3. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Got it finished! Quite a few photos with this one. I used scraps that were left from the 41" db haft I made for the plumb Puget sound falling axe.
    Here's my first pic; [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here I had hung it and had just cut the excess off the swell. [​IMG]
    Here it is finished without oil; [​IMG]
    And all done; [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have to say I'm pretty pleased with it. Even thought it's thin the swell is plenty large enough and it feels good to swing it. Also it has a full 2" eye! On a small hatchet like this!? It's awesome that thing is never coming loose! It's a good little chopper. Thanks for checking it out!
    [​IMG]

FOG2, Mack, ithinkverydeeply and 10 others like this.
  4. Agent_H

Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
  5. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    I've been meaning to try repairing this haft for a long time now. I have need of it so I tackled it. Here's the over- struck haft and the donor below it;
    [​IMG]
    This helve has perfect grain orientation which is perfectly straight grained and an almost perfect fawns foot. So I couldn't scrap it!
    20191121_151945.jpg
    Here's some progress.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was a tight enough fit that friction held it in place so I could sand it to shape prior to gluing. Here's a couple without glue;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And a couple with glue.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I feel really good about this type of repair. A good tight hang will actually help hold this in place. I've got it clamped again now and it seats tighter than it appears in those photos. I'll post er up when it's all finished. Take care!
    Edit; I should've done a captive bottom cut. I just thought of it and wish I'd have done that...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  6. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    awesome work, and great idea - it seems a shame to scrap a good vintage handle!! reduce, reuse, recycle!

Hairy Clipper, Yankee Josh and Fmont like this.
  7. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I think you're asking for trouble with that fix. The wood fibers in that part of a helve are in tension not compression. It will likely fail at the bottom of your 'dutchman'.

Trailsawyer and Hairy Clipper like this.
  8. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    I see your point. It was worth a shot anyhow and I'll let you guys know how it holds up. I was thinking there's enough solid haft behind the repair that it wouldn't be an issue. But I've thought that before and been wrong... I guess if it fails I can always remove a crap ton of wood and hang a Hudson bay pattern on it.

Trailsawyer, Fmont and Hairy Clipper like this.
  9. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Or put a front wedge in it.

Trailsawyer, Fmont and Hairy Clipper like this.
  10. rjdankert

rjdankert Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Mar 10, 2011
    translations by Google :D

Axt selber bauen
    ----> Build ax yourself

I - Create ax handle

II - ax pierce

III - Sharpen ax

Bob

Fmont and jake pogg like this.
  11. ithinkverydeeply