Axe handle making, modifications, repair and more

In episode #2, season 1, of the series I posted previously, as seen on this thread, you can see the genuine Ulmia scrub plane in all its aspects in action as well, taking out the bow in a plank and thicknessing it.

Coming from down at the but end of the stem to include the flair of the buttress which is where the head now hangs, in order to capture that thrust of grain to correspond with the shoulder, as much as possible. More than anything though this was an experiment in carving and analysis of lines, how they flow and merge in relation to the different elements of the handle like shoulder, back, foot etc..., taking things in the particular rather than the universal or general as you might find represented in a pattern lathe made or even vigorously ground and sanded handle making technique where the relationships are obscured beyond recognition.
This wood from down there, the subject of its own peculiar characteristics like a wavy grain, yet not so wild that it runs beyond the boundary of the handle form too much. As is often the case with ash it shows the results of the formation of compression wood but not excessive otherwise it renders a handle attractive but none too functional. These and other features combining to make a piece of wood which poses certain difficulties to the handle carver and yet which can be overcome with light cuts and sharp edges and at the same time offers some advantages for handles.
unadjustednonraw_thumb_b6c7.jpg

The concept in fact not by any means imposed because if it had been you'd not see such a wavy curvy form, with crests and troughs like that, me going instead, as a rule, for the straight shot but I ran into this bugger and had to decide either to abandon the work or go around it hoping for the best: the remains of a dead branch which has been grown over.
unadjustednonraw_thumb_b6cc.jpg

I think the lines indicate an opening for individualizing the handle while remaining within the scope of forms that have evolved and become accepted. By no means do I claim to have reached any level of accomplishment - this I cannot even say is something that I aspire to - though to get at some refinement was instructive and helped expose a certain potential there to be gone after if the inclination exists.
unadjustednonraw_thumb_b6cb.jpg
unadjustednonraw_thumb_b6c5.jpg

I have even gone so far, though no pictures to indicate it, as to give the handle a finish coating of raw linseed oil that will provide some initial protection against grime and not much more than that besides a darkening.

Handsome haft. Bummer about the bark pocket, but it does add character. I suppose it's just a little wabi-sabi.

Looks little, I wonder how far in until it's intergrown?

I started with this 36" mattock handle...

20190525-203941.jpg

Cut it down to size (which I soon learned was to much-needed the wood stretcher but couldnt find it:D)

20190525-204057.jpg

Started to slowly carve a single bit tongue, swell and realized the haft had a bend

20190525-230608.jpg

20190527-202214.jpg

I roughed the handle out...very rough...and had my first steam straightening kitchen party...

20190528-153302.jpg

Clamped it, slightly over clamped it, along the bench leg.

20190528-155207.jpg

That worked great!

20190528-165253.jpg

Starting to dry fit the chosen one...

20190530-233650.jpg

A minor set back but turned out solid and secure

20190529-185816.jpg

20190601-144205.jpg

20190601-144222.jpg

20190601-144212.jpg

20190601-085026.jpg

20190601-144039.jpg

Collins boys axe - 2 1/4lb head -
Originally a 36" mattock handle - widdled down to an octagonal desired straight, now 26" and 3lbs total.

My first real attempt with a drawknife and first attempt other than thinning and accentuating the shape and curves of a replacement handle.
Thought my unusual amount of mattock handles in my barrel...over a dozen...would make good practice and make good handles :thumbsup:
Can only improve from here...:rolleyes::)

Last edited:
Well done!
That's really all it takes for axe handles. Easy to straighten.

Thanks. I was unintentionally heavy handed with the drawknife, but all the gouges and run outs have taught me a few lessons and the next one should teach me a few more ;)

The steam and time in the jig were all less than an hour and the worst part was having to wash the pot:thumbsup:

Tonight I spent some more time revealing the maul handle hiding in this hornbeam stave. My wife and I recently moved out of our apartment to a cottage on the lake, and man what a relief it is to get out of the city. The view while I'm working has certainly improved.
6dcA4XN.jpg

AwiEXFw.jpg

Tonight I spent some more time revealing the maul handle hiding in this hornbeam stave. My wife and I recently moved out of our apartment to a cottage on the lake, and man what a relief it is to get out of the city. The view while I'm working has certainly improved.
6dcA4XN.jpg

AwiEXFw.jpg
Liven the good life, even have an answer for the mosquitoes. Handle is coming along nicely too...

Lots of inspiring work here fellas, thank you all for sharing pictures of your projects! There is a lot of great knowledge being shared.

This thread has made me realize that I am in desperate need of a broad/hewing hatchet...

Back