Axe? Please educate me

Don't have anywhere the experience/knowledge that the other folks here do about different axe profiles, but I'm definitely interested in seeing a CPK take on it.

While some of the posts regarding concepts about adjustable weight heads and quick/easy length adjustment/swappable handles sound interesting, I'm thinking there's a distinct reason we've never seen a heavy, razor sharp chopping implement successfully designed with that.

I'd guess it's potentially a huge PITA to make an adjustable design that can reliably withstand the repeated impacts/forces an axe has to stand up to.

Yes it was a serious question. Not every application benefits from high hardness high wear resistance. Delta 3V is a remarkable useful material but it is not a panacea that applies perfectly to every application. There are other steels that are just as tough that would be much less expensive, but they don't have the edge stability and wear resistance. There are other tough steels that are much less expensive

The axe "user" of today would almost never dull an edge fro muse. The axemen of old would swing it hours a day, and it would eventually require sharpening, as they were cutting large diameter logs and were incredibly skilled and accurate.

Most of us today would run the much higher risk of hitting dirt , rock, etc..... So the edge would need to be able to take some abuse, and spring type steels have been the age old standby steel for this type use. 4140, 5160, etc... In other words, wear resistance is not a the primary way these tolls would get dull.

So, I've been wondering if a haft could be machined from micarta. Wood takes maintenance and as a natural material is subject to quite a bit of variability. Wood that meets CPK standards will be hard to come by.

Micarta on the other hand...

Imagine ECAM in an axe handle, or a rubber or ebonite inlaid version.

This is being done in some variation by some of the custom guys. I second this idea. A micarta handle or a wood center of about 3/8 or 1/2 with micarta overlay on both sides. With some rubber inlaid where the overstrike area is ..

Well, I missed the K18 so there is NO WAY I'd miss a CPK axe!

For my point-zero-two, I'll say this...

I have a GB Small Forest Axe and love it. But if we are looking at a full 3V construction, that might be a bit large and heavy. A smaller camp hawk would be my preference.

The question becomes a matter of a one handed or two handed tool. I currently own a rmj berserker that is about a small as you can go for a two hand axe. It's a wonderful axe and built like a tank, but a little heavy headed for all day use.

A great size imo would be less than 14 inches and under 2 lbs.

Cant wait to see what you come up with!

Design a smallish lighter axe that does the work of a somewhat larger axe, where you feel like you are not making a big compromise when in use, it’s simple. Well probably not. And give me the option for an Osage haft. I know you have some Nathan ;)

Back