Axe? Please educate me

I don't know didly about axes.
I do know that if CPK were to produce an axe I would almost definitely buy one.
What I'd like to see is a hatchet/hawk style.
Lets say a 1.5 lb head with a hammer poll. Haft appx 17 inches, wood preferably.
Something easy to pack, use around the campfire and tent site. Able to split small rounds, separate small limbs and be wood crafty.
Not looking to chop down trees or split cords or wood.
Regardless I will be watching closely and hope this proceeds further.
Cheers

I feel axes fall into three categories. Hatchets, midsize axes, and full size choppers or splitters.

I think you should forget about a splitting maul, others have perfected that and it is a brute force tool that uses a very large V shaped head and gravity to do the work.

I believe you would be best off designing and building a hatchet (head around 1.25 lb. and handle about 12-14 inches). Using the experience to build a midsize axe (head around 2.5 lbs and handle about 20 inches), and then later doing a large chopper (4 lb pound head and handle 26-30 inches or so).

The best way to learn is to use, so I would suggest getting a Fiskars X7, a Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet, and a Hans Karlsson carving hatchet. If you handle and use these three specimens you will experience the effect of 3 very different approaches to head geometry, blade grind, and handle shape. The small size of a hatchet head, and the short handle, will make success much simpler to achieve.

Once CPK has designed and built a run of CPK Super Hatchets, you can focus on a midsize axe for campfire chores and hunting.

I think CPK should stay away from a large chopper due to cost and smaller market.

My favorite hatchets are the Hans Karlsson carving hatchet, with the GB Wildlife a close second.

I like the GB Scandinavian Forest Axe for a midsize all rounder (I also have a GB Small Forest Axe and the handle is just too short).

I don’t really use large axes because a I don’t heat a home or shop with wood, so others will need to chime in on a big boy.

An axe is not a hammer, so I don’t think the design should contemplate using the poll as a hammer. The eye must be quite a bit softer than the edge to be a durable tool. You really should design any hatchet or axe around a standard handle size and eye shape so replacements are easy (see GB handles and House Handle).

I really think this needs to be done with something other then D3V. The price is going to have to be right on these guys...lots of good competition out there for good prices...you know what I mean. I love my CPK but you know..not sure I’d be willing to spend more then $150 on a good smaller splitting axe, or even a full size axe. I beat the sh*t out of my axes and definitely do not treat them like a knife. Sorry if I’m being a Debbie Downer.

I really think this needs to be done with something other then D3V. The price is going to have to be right on these guys...lots of good competition out there for good prices...you know what I mean. I love my CPK but you know..not sure I’d be willing to spend more then $150 on a good smaller splitting axe, or even a full size axe. I beat the sh*t out of my axes and definitely do not treat them like a knife. Sorry if I’m being a Debbie Downer.
Id expect the autine pricepoint debbie

Probably a bearded full tang hatchet to start with in D3V. This can be an all purpose tool for cutting and chopping. One can choke up and use it like a knife too.

The full tang design gives us options to select our favorite handle material too. The poll should be hardened so it can be used as a hammer ;)

The weight of the head and geometry will have to go through some extensive testing to find the right balance.

This is my favorite LH bearded hatchet.

25506839297_5a964acbe5_k_d.jpg

My reading comprehension was apparently hindered the other day when I bought the ray mears! Was expecting the wilderness and ended up with the sfa branded ray mears, entirely my fault as the message I received clearly said sfa:). Found a new council woodcraft pack axe for a great price so I snagged that too. Anyone use this axe? These will have to do till the cpa comes to fruition.

I like this video cause he shows how to sharpen an axe in it. I used it as a reference and it resulted in an edge that to me seems pretty convex. Also, that axe is cool, but I gave mine to my dad after I sharpened it. Then he chopped his leg with it. Down in Florida. He’s ok now though.

Back