Axe? Please educate me

1.5 lb Trapper’s hatchet with 15” handle.
9dHsXPD.jpg

80aydMM.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my trusty cruising axe. A 2lb ish on a 26-27”ish handle. Note the thin profile of the blade; this is ideal for limbing and blazing but not as effective for strictly splitting firewood.
That being said, this thing does split up firewood no problem and quite comfortable to wield all day in the bush.

One thing most folks like with the Gransfors/Hultafors/Wetterlings etc is that they are ready to use off the shelf generally.
These Ox Heads, while thin, take a few hours with a file to get a proper profile on it. Once set up though all it takes is a light touch up with a worn file and a DC4 diamond stone every morning before leaving the truck and back to shaving sharp.

If Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist is going for a milled head and wood haft for a larger axe, I think it would be worthwhile looking at older Kelly/True Tempers that had grooves in the eye for a little more bit while hanging.

5991DABE-F62A-4F0C-A525-0DD8C1CBDF55.jpeg FB087D3B-8DE8-44A7-85E4-6E8CAEE323CC.jpeg 81379916-27CF-41C6-A450-8CE2F11E8974.jpeg

Here is my trusty cruising axe. A 2lb ish on a 26-27”ish handle. Note the thin profile of the blade; this is ideal for limbing and blazing but not as effective for strictly splitting firewood.
That being said, this thing does split up firewood no problem and quite comfortable to wield all day in the bush.

One thing most folks like with the Gransfors/Hultafors/Wetterlings etc is that they are ready to use off the shelf generally.
These Ox Heads, while thin, take a few hours with a file to get a proper profile on it. Once set up though all it takes is a light touch up with a worn file and a DC4 diamond stone every morning before leaving the truck and back to shaving sharp.

If Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist is going for a milled head and wood haft for a larger axe, I think it would be worthwhile looking at older Kelly/True Tempers that had grooves in the eye for a little more bit while hanging.

View attachment 1407344 View attachment 1407345 View attachment 1407346
I have the same axe and all I can say is ditto

How does she wield one handed?

Nice axe! I just picked up an older Ox-Head, myself.....

vV1FN8T.jpg

f3KckmF.jpg

8pECCzj.jpg

Back