Axe? Please educate me

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Nathan the Machinist, Aug 22, 2020.

1. BIGDORK

BIGDORK Gold Member Gold Member

May 27, 2018
    Gibby and Wranglestar in the same post
    [​IMG]

2. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    I have two axes, this is the heavy artillery at 4.5#. Most people around here use this axe for splitting, but it's a felling axe by design. The Five Star comes stock with an extremely obtuse edge angle, (which is one of the reasons why it splits awesome) so when I originally got it years ago, I took it to the bench grinder and narrowed the bevel geometry quite a bit. Since then I've used it a fair amount, but only recently did I spend some time cleaning it up. It's polished to 2000g although I didn't worry much about removing all the scratches. It's significantly easier to clean and maintain. And I like shiny things.
    [​IMG]

decent sized fir down across the trail. Been there long enough to dry out and harden up but not long enough to start rotting. I could tell at the first hit that I had a challenge ahead- there was really no great place to stand and half way through I was jonesin for my chainsaw. In the end, I'm glad I used caloric energy instead. Nothing like swingin an axe first thing in the morning!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I generally prefer the 2.5# Ox Head I usually use, but for wood this hard and big, (get your mind outta the gutter) the head is a little too flexible, there isn't quite as much weight behind a hit, and the shorter handle limits where I can stand a little more

MR HAPPY, jus_gus, BIGDORK and 12 others like this.
  3. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    I've never seen an axe come with picture instructions before. Its like a mini "Axes for dummies" book right on the handle!

4. gunslinger387

gunslinger387 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2010
    You’re a badass.

jus_gus and Odog27 like this.
  5. ilyk

ilyk Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2015
    Hold the **** up! I been gone a while. There’s CPK axes on the horizon?

mendezj, jus_gus and Odog27 like this.
  6. Tim the Wizard

Tim the Wizard Street Samurai Gold Member

Apr 21, 2012
    If you are willing to forge and hammer some out I would be interested. There may also be makers you could collaborate with and explore new territory for optimizing an axe build.

However, and with respect, noting a shakespearean caveat that there are more things in heaven and earth than accounted for in my philosophy, I have never seen a convincing stock removal or milled axe.

mendezj and Odog27 like this.
  7. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    Yeah maybe. We gotta get Jo on board...

ilyk, mendezj, - SpyderMan - and 5 others like this.
  8. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    Most stock removal guys and machinists are limited and constrained by their abilities and capabilities. I'm not limited by the abilities of some average schlup. I'm an above average schlup!

Pàdruig, darsk20, MR HAPPY and 25 others like this.
  9. mendezj

mendezj Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 24, 1998
    Since you axed: I own a small Gränsfors ax (Gränsfors Small Hatchet) that I bought for splitting the chest bone on deer. It seemed like the perfect ax for the job and for camping except that after a few knocks on bone the edge was left looking like a saw, or that’s how I saw it (get it?). Ok, so after the bad jokes, I believe a similar hatchet but well made would be great.

10. mendezj

mendezj Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 24, 1998
    Well, I must agree. Hell, what’s the use of false modesty. I mean, if you rock, you rock.

woodysone, Odog27 and jus_gus like this.
  11. never.truly.lost

never.truly.lost

Dec 13, 2015
    For the interim check out Mark McCoun’s hawks and hatchets. I used mine to chop off all the lower legs on my mule deer this fall and no chips/rolls/dings.

He uses 4140 I believe in a billet instead of forge welding a bit in.

Cheers
    Andy

mendezj, Odog27 and Brian77 like this.
  12. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    Even the really well made axes don't really have the best steel with the best heat treats. I'm sorry, they just don't. I appreciate the simplicity of the ability to sharpen your axe with a file. Like a lawn mower blade. But, if I make an axe it's going to be made of Delta 3V and I promise you it will split any green bone on any animal alive without taking any edge damage.

It will be a niche item. My raw material cost for the material alone will be around $60-$70 just for metal stock (plus carbide plus machine time, so that's just the tip of the iceberg) so it's going to be a ridiculous axe. A very niche item. But I promise to do a pretty good job with it. I understand and appreciate that geometry is everything and I'm working on optimizing that for this axe. The hard part is going to be convincing Jo to let me do this. She can see, quite correctly and objectively, that this is ridiculous. I need you knuckleheads to persuade her...

13. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    What person in their right mind would pay $350 for a small axe? That is ridiculous. Why are we even talking about this?

twyych, woodysone, jus_gus and 8 others like this.
  14. Grenock

Grenock Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Because people fall all over themselves to do just that every other Monday evening already,and yours will be better.

15. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Most of us? Because we are ridiculous?

Mike157, woodysone, jus_gus and 6 others like this.
  16. Grenock

Grenock Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Jo loves us, well most us........I’ll consider this a done deal.

You gonna have Bo be the inspiration for the handle on this one I’m guessing?

Mike157, woodysone, jus_gus and 4 others like this.
  17. - SpyderMan -

- SpyderMan - Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2015
    You’re not kidding! I CANNOT seem to get one of those, despite my best efforts. :mad:

Mike157, woodysone, jus_gus and 4 others like this.
  18. - SpyderMan -

- SpyderMan - Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2015
    [​IMG]

19. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    with what kind of handle?

20. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Ti anodizing, and mods Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Sit down Lorien, we know what all your handles wind up looking like:eek:;)