Axe, Tomahawk & Hatchet Photo Thread

It may not be lying technically, but it sure stretches the truth a long ways.
I feel the same way- won't post the site here because I could be mistaken. But , after reforging a few Trailhawks - it's not that hard to recognize.

Two favorites I can do a lot with these. The barco cruiser is impressive.

p655083686-4.jpg

Dang is that Barco nice. How does it chop?

And all this talk about forging hawks is getting me curious about entry level set ups. Oh, posted a question on your wall Visitor.

Im pretty sure Ive seen the ones your talking about and I dont think you are mistaken.Id say your right..
I feel the same way- won't post the site here because I could be mistaken. But , after reforging a few Trailhawks - it's not that hard to recognize.

Very nice. I didn't know anyone was still making new cruisers. That's cool.

One thing Woodtrekker didn't mention was how hard the bit was. Have you had a chance to put a file to yours yet? If so, how's the steel?

SP
Yes I did file it because it comes with essentially no edge from the factory. I have used it quite a bit from splitting medium stuff and felling some small stuff.
It holds an edge well. I love the Michigan bit too you can carve pretty good with it although it is heavy. The file well, just from feel it is harder to file than my Councils but less than my gransfor. I would consider it a quality tool steel.The head only has a faint etching of BArco usa that will wear off.
Looks exactly like a couple of vintage kellys I saw online. You can find these for around $40new that's a bargain.

Here's a Marbles double bit I had to re-hang. The original haft broke after 5 swings! The eye is weird on these, like 3 overlapping circles, it was a challenge to get it to fit with hand chisels and a knife. I could have done a better job, but was pissed, so I just grabbed an old ball peen hammer handle. It's held up so far...

IMG_0216.jpg

Here's a no name double bit, I was told it's at least from the 60's. This was my first hang job, and it's chopped down 3 trees already. I put a file to the edge, and it's very hard, I got it sharp, but there's still small chips, from the previous user.

IMG_0218-Copy.jpg

My GG&G Battlehawk. It's an odd beast, weighs 44oz, and will tear your hand up. I've put it through hell since this pic, and the paint is the only wear. I practice fighting a swinging fence post with this. It's a great way to get endurance and strength, I find it helps me towards using my lighter hawks.

IMG_0225.jpg

Recently I got this Winkler-Sayoc RnD hawk. I've only tested it on a turkey breast, no match by the way. The mars on the head are scratches from the rib cage, which was cut through in one easy swing. The size, weight, balance, and power behind this hawk is amazing. The tapered tang is perfect, creates a mass distribution that feels alive in hand. I'm sure there are lighter, and faster hawks, but this one is going to cut deeper. It's a great balance of weight and speed, the GG&G is way too slow compared to the Winkler.

Happy Easter.....

winklerhawk001.jpg

winklerhawk002.jpg

winklerhawk004.jpg

winklerhawk005.jpg

This is my Ranger Renegade, I've added a strong "shrink wrap" at the top, and a tennis racket grip at the bottom. This is also a heavy hawk, the spike is long and takes deep bites.
necklaceanddog045.jpg

Last edited:
Foxx
Was it a wild or domestic turkey? Wild ones have a breast bone like the bow on an north Atlantic ice breaker.
Nice new hawk. The trainer is a good idea also

Foxx
Was it a wild or domestic turkey? Wild ones have a breast bone like the bow on an north Atlantic ice breaker.
Nice new hawk. The trainer is a good idea also

It was a turkey breast from 05', out of the freezer, so domestic. I cut through one side of the ribcage. Without more mass, or locked into a stable position, the breast could have just have spun and bounced around, if it was thicker boned. I was just amazed at how little effort it took, due to the lack of resistance. The Sayoc just melted through the meat and ribs. Sure, a thicker bone may not get cut through, but the front spike would cause severe pain. A gut slice would be another story.

I've played around with the trainer, but I still need a sparring partner, and some other pads, helmet, etc. before I can go full on with another person. It's still great for getting used to it's length, and reach, as well as the hooking ability.

I purchased a new Husqvarna mower and could not pass the carpenter's axe they had on display. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet

husqvarna1.jpg

husqvarna4.jpg

I purchased a new Husqvarna mower and could not pass the carpenter's axe they had on display. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet

husqvarna1.jpg

husqvarna4.jpg
That is nice I was just looking at one of those online. Probably made by one of the major makers in Sweden. All my Husq's have been great.

Back