Böker Plus Epicenter

yea, I was really looking forward to this knife as well. But thats what you get for buying a version 1.0 of something. I try not to be a guinea pig for someone. Way too many knife companies have problems with a new model. (Spyderco PM2 cough cough)I'll wait till they get it squared away then maybe I'll pick one up. looks very promising though.

yea, I was really looking forward to this knife as well. But thats what you get for buying a version 1.0 of something. I try not to be a guinea pig for someone. Way too many knife companies have problems with a new model. (Spyderco PM2 cough cough)I'll wait till they get it squared away then maybe I'll pick one up. looks very promising though.

^^Indeed^^

There's a youtube review on it & just like "dark impaler" had, the reviewer had a similar problem with his Epicenter (At least I'm pretty sure it's the same issue). Apparently, Boker's China manufacturer has poor QC.

If it's hit or miss on these, then that's too bad. For a respectable amount of money, there's an expectation of decent F&F. If Boker's going to market Chinese made knives at those prices, they better step it up.

Too bad...

I got mine yesterday, and it took a couple of hours of playing with it to realize the misalignment in the scales. maybe I was too thrilled at first to notice it. I don't think that it's an isolated problem. I can see how they might have fixed the problem with their drilling jig alignment partway through the run, but mine is #473, so there's bound to be a lot of these crooked ones out there.

BUT. . . I'm keeping mine.

Here's why:

1. I am notorious at voiding the warranty on all of my "keepers" and "users". I'm firmly in the camp of those who continually tweak a knife until it's just right. With all of the money I've spent on knives over the past year I could have easily bought a couple of Sebenzas and just called it quits with "perfection", but where's the fun in that? So no matter how well the nice folks in China could have made this knife, I would have found something to tweak.

2. I have been waiting for this knife for so long that the thought of sending it back and waiting (probably for > 1 year) for Boker to reissue a second run was too much to bear. Rexford's design and style was that perfect mix of form and function that I've been looking for for quite some time. I really wanted to keep this knife and put it to use more than I wanted a museum showpiece. After all, it's a knife, not a Faberge Egg, and I work in an industry which espouses the idea of modifying tools to suit the purpose. So I went to work to modify it to suit my needs.

3. The Knife came really sharp with pretty good grinds on the blade. Lockup is superb, and there is no detectable blade play. So far it's hit all of my key points. Why wouldn't I want to make a few tweaks and use it as an EDC?

Really didn't take long to get it lined up. I used my Dremel tool to grind down the high spots. A small Aluminum-Oxide grinding burr did most of the work, then I used a scotch-brite wheel loaded with Silicon-Carbide to smooth it out. Then some flexible sanding discs to take the sharp edges off of the inside of the handle scales, and now we're in business. Granted, it doesn't look remotely factory fresh, but after a few months of use you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. So really I've lost nothing and gained the knife I've been anxiously awaiting.

But everyone is entitled to vote with their wallets, and you're entitled to disagree with my approach. But I think that Boker has heard the message, and we can stop ragging on them for this goof-up. Everything else that they are putting out on their Boker Plus is pretty high quality and awesome value. I can almost guarantee that they'll keep getting my money.

I'll try to get pictures up tomorrow when the lighting is better.

-nate

This isn't a kit knife, made to be finished by the end user.Its a $140 knife that should of been through a quality control check and found to be imperfect.

I highly commend you for a great approach to fixing the problem and look forward to your pics, but I'm still in the frame of mind that it should of been caught and fixed before ever leaving China, not left hoping we woulden't notice or worse yet they just didn't care.

I generally agree with your stance, ThievesLikeUs. And if I didn't think that I could fix it then I'd have sent it back for a refund already. However, my personal interests in knife ownership tend towards the tinkering and embelishment side of things, so I'm not entirely risk averse when it comes to these kinds of situations.

On a similar note, look at how many guys get custom scales and filework on Sebenzas, Striders, and XM-18s which are many times the cost of this knife. It's all different strokes for different folks, and I can definitely see both sides of the coin.

Hopefully for all of us, the fine folks at Boker will take notice and help out those whose expectations were not met -- Keeping my fingers crossed .

-nate

Robot37, your posts beckoned to my usually tendency to tweak something to suit my needs. I was so very tempted to pull out the dremel- go to town on it, wet sand that bad boy and then just sand blast it, but I just couldn't do it. It can be seen as a value to cough up a buck-twenty (on preorder), to purchase a knife with such a thick blade, and Ti scales on both sides and a frame lock to boot. So, why wouldn't someone just keep it, make it a project knife and edc it?

Principles.

Since the knife was coming from China, my expectations were low and by no means was looking for a collection piece. The issue rest with myself as a consumer, and the desire as such, to have a decent product. Granted, no knife is ever perfect, but to receive such an item with so many manufacturing defects is just unacceptable. It is a blatant disrespect to the consumer to sell such an item as new and as a factory first. As a consumer, a way to show disapproval for such business practices is to return the item- not to keep it and just suck it up. Where is the incentive for Boker to fix issues with their quality control of overseas production if there is no sizable return tally?

It's totally fine that we take different roads in dealing with this issue; we are all motivated to action by different ideologies.

I do hope that Boker will sooner than later, deal with their China QC issues. Perhaps it's time to transplant- permanently, a German manager to oversee their overseas production. That, or tremendously increase their factory visitations over there. Don't know and won't pretend to know how Boker functions, but I have had some close experience on working with Chinese manufacturers- just in a different field. Nothing boosts the need for improvements like a crack of the whip.

-di

My rule for Boker's knives is simple. After experiencing their sub-par fit and finish if it is over $40 and made in China I'm going to pass on it.

Boker is in bed with some designers who are offering up compelling blades but the fact that they keep executing them so poorly means they have no respct for the consumer.

I have been following this thread, and found a couple of them here with the same issues. I am passing all of this along to Germany for their attention. It is a nice, well made piece, and the one I picked up, out of the same run, is as close to perfect as a non-custom can be, but the issues noted are unacceptable.
I do believe the information has been passed along, so it will be fixed.
Thanks for bringing it to our attention, as that is the only way I will know and be able to pass it along.
Terry

Like everyone else, I was really looking forward to this knife. It sounds like some have problems while others don't. I would/will have to speak to the dealer I buy from and ensure it is thouroughly checked out before sending it to me.

On another note; I've found the newer Boker Plus items, especially the fixed blades, to be well made with great execution. Same on the few folders I have purchased. I think overall Boker's Asian partner is doing a good job.

If it was $300 and made in Germany I would have purchased one but since it's $150 and made in China I'll pass :(

Too bad this knife really had the chance to be a benchmark knife. The price is so much better than the Ti Military or Alias knives, but alas it seems you get what you pay for...At least the Vox Collabo knives are awesome.

Was looking to get a Boker Epicenter and ran across this thread. seems like there was a QC epidemic on someones hands. anywho has Boker issued a 2nd gen that's fixed these problems or should I keep lookin for a new knife?

I don't think the second generation has made it to the dealers yet.

I haven't been able to find any so far.

I read a thread on another forum that said the second and improved batch of these should be shipping out soon.

Back