Böker Plus Epicenter

We just received a batch of the second generation, and the quality control issues have been fixed.

I just got mine. It looks pretty much perfect to me. No quality issues that I can see. My only gripe is that it is basically impossible to open smoothly with one hand. I dont know if the thumbstud is in a bad spot or it doesnt have enough traction or what, but its impossible to slide open. It does flick open nicely though. Its pretty large and pretty heavy.

Yes, one has to have to have some decent thumb strength for opening the Epicenter.

I have found that it helps to have my thumb facing down so that the left side (opening it right-handed) of my thumb hits the thumb stud just the right way to open it right.

It is a great knife.

Just got my copy #985 from GP Knives, very impressed. Perfect center and the slight side to side play easily corrected with a small pivot tightening. Boker QC much improved from my Haddock purchased last year.

Thinking of making a purchase. I was wondering if you need a special tool to loosen/tightening the pivot?

I don't understand why a manufacturer would use a proprietary pivot size, even less so without providing a tool for the consumer to make adjustments.

I have been carrying this since I bought it and my only complaint is you can't easily open with your thumb. Other than that I am very pleased. Also a thing to note it does not have made in China stamped all over it. Makes you almost forget it is. But I am almost stunned because I pretty much have never bought a made in China knife since I really started collecting. And this knife is really smooth very early lock up and has thay very nice sound when it locks up very precise.

Just received the Epicenter in the mail. Everything looks great! I also received a ZT 0550 last week and I'm just as pleased with the Epi as the ZT. :D

Last edited:
Anyone else get one recently? I just ordered one. Will be my first Boker that I can recall.

Just got my 2nd edition and I'm under impressed.

First beef. Lock bar is soft and three slow openings and it already got an indentation. The angle of the knife side is very steep and just doesn't feel or look secure. Its likley designed that way I'm sure, but it doesn't make me feel confident in it.

2nd beef. The scale recessed screw holes are all different depths. The screws remind me of whack a mole. Some are flush with the scales and others are deeply buried below the surface. Yeah its only cosmetic and yeah its a production knife, but at this price point and being made in china.....just not that impressed.

3rd beef. The pivot setup. One side has about a size 10 torx setup. Btw. The included tool is too small to fit the pivot. Only fits the scales screws and pocket clip screws and thumb stud screw.

The other side of the pivot has a bee\enlan style 4 tiny hole deal. My snap ring pliers I use on my enlans, are too big to fit this boker design. So if you go from the torx side the whole pivot turns. In other words it won't tighten it unless you hold the other 4 hole side with something. Maybe a tiny paperclip would work?

Mine came with some very minor side to side blade play so I ended up using my thumb pressing hard and using the torx side and managed to get it tight enough to eliminate the minor blade play.

Man what a great design, ergonomics of the handle is top notch. Its one big and hefty folder, but the beefs I mentioned just kinda made me unimpressed. That said I'm keeping it and plan on using it, just carefully as while I am no knifemaker or engineer that lockbar setup just makes me weary.......and I'm sure its engineered to work fine cause i know boker won't sell unsafe or flawed knives.

Terry can you explain why the titanium lockbar and steep blade side lock rest is so steep? The engineering of the design. I'm thinking I'm missing the reasoning behind this desgn setup? Thanks in advance.

Just got mine. I like it. I agree on the lock geometry. My lock is a little sticky. I also needed to tighten my pivot to remove blade play. I added some Tuff-Glide and that smoothed the action. The handle is very comfortable with no sharp edges. Cool knife.

Back