Back Pocket Knives - Let's see 'em!!!

Hale Storm

Kydex Whisperer
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Let me explain.

I typically carry a mid tech in my front pocket for my use. Mid tech for me is the $100.00 to $500.00 range. I do find myself carrying folders in the $150.00-$200.00 range most of the time (The CRK is for "special occasions" - LOL).

Now for some of us, a $150.00 - $200.00 knife is no big deal. For me, it is, and that kinda scratch means I won't hand those knives to just anyone to use. Non-knife people typically see no difference in a CRK Sebenza and a CRKT Pilar.

Which leads to the meat of my post. I normally carry a secondary knife in my back pocket (I've lost more than a few from there too) that I use to loan out to people when someone says, "hey, does anyone have a knife"?

I've carried a few traditionals and Kershaw Skyline, Ontario RAT 1 and 2's, Buck 110's, and all the way up to beater Spyderco Endura's but that's as far as I go. My Back pocket knife is typically under $50.00 and even then, I cringe when I loan it out and would prefer to hand you a $20.00 big box brand instead.

So, lets hear your recommendations for back pocket knives as defined here, and more importantly, LET'S SEE 'Em!!!
259.jpg 913.jpg 935.jpg maxresdefault.jpg

Most Kershaws or a Spyderco Byrd are what I would carry back there if I did (I don't). Of the knives I own, my Kershaw Skyline, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, and Emerson Kershaw come to mind as my beaters. At work I have been asked for my knife increasingly (Manix or Native) but usually just open something, I will walk over and do it myself. For the most part I have trusted people if I know they just want to sharpen their carpenter pencil. Outside of work I rarely get asked to loan my knife, more often I get asked to use it.

dGoyphh.jpg

Alox cadet for me. Great back pocket/beater/loaner. I've had people ask for my knife when they really needed a pry bar, screwdriver or even a shovel.

Most Kershaws or a Spyderco Byrd are what I would carry back there if I did (I don't). Of the knives I own, my Kershaw Skyline, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, and Emerson Kershaw come to mind as my beaters. At work I have been asked for my knife increasingly (Manix or Native) but usually just open something, I will walk over and do it myself. For the most part I have trusted people if I know they just want to sharpen their carpenter pencil. Outside of work I rarely get asked to loan my knife, more often I get asked to use it.
I guess I mis-spoke. I meant that people often ask to use my knives at that moment, not really borrow them as in a loan and use them away from me somewhere else. But you got what I meant. Thanks for the reply.

Anymore, unless I've got my Milwaukee fastback with me, I just ask them what they need to cut and cut it for them. Half of the time or more they were wanting to use it as a screwdriver. I've got a brother in law that asks to use my knife about everytime I'm around him. I've bought him several nice knives over the years that he never seems to have on him and can't seem to understand why I don't use mine as impromptu screwdrivers and prybars. :rolleyes:

Anymore, unless I've got my Milwaukee fastback with me, I just ask them what they need to cut and cut it for them. Half of the time or more they were wanting to use it as a screwdriver. I've got a brother in law that asks to use my knife about everytime I'm around him. I've bought him several nice knives over the years that he never seems to have on him and can't seem to understand why I don't use mine as impromptu screwdrivers and prybars. :rolleyes:
Is it the pocket knife or the utility blade knife?

View attachment 1252036 Not necessarily my back pocket knife but my right pocket. I’m a lefty so this is in my off pocket (right) everyday. Alox electrician. Loaner knife. Plus it comes in handy in a pinch for certain tasks

Yep. Excellent choice. Many times I have an Alox Pioneer X in my left front pocket that I utilize as my secondary blade to let people use. $42 I think at the time. BNIB

Yep. Excellent choice. Many times I have an Alox Pioneer X in my left front pocket that I utilize as my secondary blade to let people use. $42 I think at the time. BNIB
Yea I think that one is mid $30

Interesting, back pocket knives for me are flat knives that carry pretty well and must have a firm clip. My favorite is my CS 4" holdout. Also, my daggerr knives, byrds and manix lw get some back pocket time too. So i guess only the byrds would qualify under OPs definition.

I back pocket carry a SE Dragonfly daily. It disappears in pocket and goes virtually unnoticed until I need in, when it has proven quite handy. This little thing is hell on zip-ties and adds alot of utility to my EDC.

f0zJHVF.jpg

If I was going to carry a knife in my back pocket for the purpose of loaning out it would be this old Gerber ridge.

If they don't carry a knife I'm not going to trust them with a blade any longer than this and it's so thin I won't have to know it's there till it's needed.

Honestly I might keep it in my pocket and just give it to the next person who needs to borrow a knife.

I already have a fairly large wallet I carry in my back pocket. Whenever I hear "Does anybody have a knife?", my go-to move is to pretend I didn't hear it. I don't lend out knives these days, just too much of a hassle. LOL If someone who knows I'm a knife guy asks me directly, I just pat my pocket (even if it contains a knife) like "Oh man, sorry bro, left it in the car!".

I back pocket carry a SE Dragonfly daily. It disappears in pocket and goes virtually unnoticed until I need in, when it has proven quite handy. This little thing is hell on zip-ties and adds alot of utility to my EDC.

f0zJHVF.jpg
Nice group there!!!

I don’t loan knives... period. But I constantly carry my endura 4 without a clip in my back pocket. It stands up next to my bandanna wrapped around my comb. It’s my favorite long, light, thin do everything knife.

I already have a fairly large wallet I carry in my back pocket. Whenever I hear "Does anybody have a knife?", my go-to move is to pretend I didn't hear it. I don't lend out knives these days, just too much of a hassle. LOL If someone who knows I'm a knife guy asks me directly, I just pat my pocket (even if it contains a knife) like "Oh man, sorry bro, left it in the car!".
The last time I was actually asked to borrow a knife I was still carrying that super 1000 or whatever it is box cutter I was given when I started.

I've already given a few knives to people who didn't carry one, they still carry 'em but I doubt they ever sharpen them.

Back