1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

2. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 44 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, Cold Steel Stickers & Boker Tree Brand Hat , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)
  4. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Balls_tothe_Walls (Heath Helton) is a scammer

Discussion in 'Hall of Shame' started by thtieu, Dec 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  2. Postlapsaria

Postlapsaria Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2017
    There is a set number of entries. So, if the person running the raffle decides $150 is a fair value, they can create a raffle with 10 spots at $15 a piece (or they can do 15 spots at $10, etc...). Once the spots are filled, a bot selects the winner.

So, back to the topic, Heath isn't really profiting on raffles (unless the knives are stolen).

benchwarmer380 likes this.
  3. josh yu

josh yu

Jun 14, 2017
    number of spots are set. so price is set. raffler can adjust price down only (offer discounts if it's not filling fast enough)

4. Gastonknife

Gastonknife Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Correct - unless they are stolen. Going back to the root cause of all these issues is not that this Heath guy got his card hacked; it is because he decided to dispute all the charges - which includes all the legit ones.
    This guy put all the people involved in this mess on purpose............. He could have fixed it all right at the beginning by telling the bank which ones were legit. He chose not to.
    People are defending this person when he hosed them.
    Hmmmm now he is posting all kinds of knives up for auction. How obvious could this be?
    At best this heath guy is slimy and doesn't care about what he did to others..............at worse (and more likely) he is a scammer/thief. All you got to do is use common sense. If it walks like a duck ..........it's probably a duck.

5. benchwarmer380

benchwarmer380 Valyrian Member Platinum Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Postlapsaria likes this.
  6. Postlapsaria

Dec 7, 2017
    Hope it's clear my post was not in defense of him. My post history is more clear about that. I'm with you on all points, and will add the fact that he shut down communication here is even more damning.

danbot likes this.
  7. Postlapsaria

Dec 7, 2017
    Not boneheaded at all. It's actually not a bad way to pursue pricey knives if you're the gambling type. It does suck that the raffle community is somehow embracing Heath, though.

dealda likes this.
  8. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Being in possession of stolen property is a crime, no matter how it was acquired.

9. s4mpson

s4mpson Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2017
    Oh no, you buy into the raffle, it's not free. It's just like any other raffle you would see out there in the world. The value of the item is determined by a set of pricing guidelines. That number is typically secondary market value.
    Say you have a normal PM2 you want to raffle off. The market value is roughly ~$90-$100 or so, depending on condition etc. So the amount of money collected would be say $100, that amount has to be spread evenly across the number of raffle entries you set. So $100 raffle would typically be 10 entries at $10 per entry. You could do 20 entries at $5 per entry. Whatever works well, and there are different ways to determine that.

It's not like a charity auction/chinese auction where as many tickets can be thrown into a box as you want.

10. stonesell

stonesell Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2009
    It’s also good that you are scared, Josh. We deal with so much Trash everyday, that everything you say will be held up to scrutiny.
    This isn’t really a lynch mob, given the preponderance of evidence. Members are just frustrated that the con artists are given such free reign on the internet these days.

11. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    Not in Ohio, which is, I suspect, representative of the law everywhere in the U.S.

But I might have missed a state. In what state is it a crime to merely be in possession of stolen property without knowledge it is stolen?

12. joeradza

Feb 6, 2014
    From experience it tends to be one of those charges that are add-ons if in violation of another ordinance. But usually not charged in of and by itself.

13. joeradza

Feb 6, 2014
    @Thomas Linton
    In this case in dealing with H it has become obvious that one should have knowledge of what is going on. The case could be made by D.A. that by dealing with these knives that one should have been aware that they might be stolen property, which would make their possession a crime.

14. Cvrobinson

Cvrobinson Going to hell, anyone need anything Platinum Member

Dec 19, 2017
    There is a higher standard than the law, I believe this 99% of this forum know this. The law doesn't demand the attention to detail that is shown here in for sale adds. And that's why most of us are here, that higher standard.

The trust and damages done by balls can do nothing but enrage those affected josh, especially when you tell us " the knifes in the mail"
    Shoulda waithed maybe till it arrived before entering this hornets nest.

15. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    If you know they are stolen, it can be a felony ($$ amount dependent). This is the offense they nail "fences" with -- receiving or possessing stolen property, It requires proof that the recipient or possessor knew it was stolen or took/kept it with wanton disregard of whether his source(s) had legal title (Kid comes in with $1000s worth of guns/jewelry/collector art. "I didn't ask" won't help much.).

16. s4mpson

s4mpson Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2017
    Yea I got some great pieces from raffling.
    I'm not taking sides in this whole situation, though I will put one observation out there. People that know him through raffle related stuff have been affected as well as anyone else, many have large negative balances. The main difference I see has been the lack of 'lynch mob' reaction from that side. I know if it was me I would be more inclined to deal with one side than the other, but that's neither here nor there.

17. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    I have zero personal knowledge here. Still, I can see that dealing with your less angry victims would be more pleasant.

OilMan and moshow9 like this.
  18. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    We actually tried to go the positive route, but he failed to do what he promised(or explain why he couldn't), went silent and more and more has come out. I have looked at this from many sides trying to find any scenario that works for him, but just can't come up with any answer other then scammer. If all get paid back, I will concede all got paid back, but I will never deal with him.

MJ713, Chariotz4, palonej and 10 others like this.
  19. Gastonknife

Gastonknife Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2008
    If the people over there want to be so gullible - then that is their choice. I can see why the scammer and thief is still doing business there. Scammers love easy marks. Especially mindless ones that still come back for more after they have already been used. The guy let legit transactions get cancelled, says he will do things then he does not, uses stolen knives to do deals with others, and goes dark when exposed. Not to mention the fact that he still owes many people hundreds/thousands of $$$. What a nice guy!

palonej, stonesell and danbot like this.
  20. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    He's laughing his ass off at those guys right now!

palonej likes this.