Bears in the woods....

After reading the thread about packing a piece in the woods, I was wondering what pistol caliber would be best suited for facing a grizzly or a brownie. I ask this knowing that a rifle would be infinitely better, but in my case impractical. Anyway, what caliber would be best, revolver or auto, and blued versus stainless.

Of course I pack a khukuri in my pack, but darned if I want to face down a bear with it. That sherpa who did was made of some stern stuff!

handguns for bears is always a hot topic. I don't think any handgun is appropriate for bear hunting. If you are attacked, any handgun is better than nothing. :)

You have S&W .500 , and the .460 which is very versatile cartridge-wise. It takes a .45 LC, a .454 Casul, and a S&W .460, hotter than the .454, all interchangeably.

You have the Bowen customs.............T/C standard and wildcats, and the factory magnums.

Being careful and observant should suffice, but maybe for things that go bump in the night....?

Any caliber would work. Just make sure you position the barrel correctly against your temple before pulling the trigger.

(btw: if you plan to actually shoot at the bear then the minimum would be a 44 mag.)

n2s

You can tell if you're in dangerous grizzly territory by checking for little bells in the bear scat, I've been told. The best advice about hiking in griz country that I've heard is to always hike with a companion you can outrun. :D Hope this helps...

Good recommendations on calibers above. If wheelguns aren't your thing, consider 10mm, 400 Cor-Bon, and similar. I wouldn't bet my life on them but any of them are preferable to throwing rocks.

Your best policy in bear country is one of avoidance. Most bear attacks take place because either the human or the bear made a mistake. They don't like being surprised. Make sure that they know you're coming and keep your camp site out of their way.

If you do bump into a man eater, follow Bri's advice. Take solace in the fact that we're still nominally at the top of the food chain.

"I can't outrun a bear but I can outrun you!" Take up jogging and travel with people who don't. :)

Do you know how to tell the difference between a Black Bear and a Grizzly Bear?

When the bear approaches, you climb a tree...
If it climbs up after you it's a Black Bear...
...and if it pushes the tree over, it's a Grizzly Bear!

The preferred gun of the Alaskan Surveyors that I worked with was the 12 gage pump shotgun with slugs or 00buck and slugs combined.They wanted the maximum number of rounds they could get in the magazine.

I wonder if a 40mm flare gun would discourage a griz?

(But I'm NEVER goin' to make a test! :eek: )

With a flare gun, at least folks would be able to locate where you got eaten. :p

Yeah... I have no intention of hunting bears or intentionally seeking them out. A rifle may not necessarily be practical for me (or possible) but a handgun for the nasty surprise in the night - that sort of thing - is what I am looking for.

I suspect a wheelgun is what I am looking for rather than a semi-auto. Anyone have any manufacturer suggestions? There seem to be a lot out there.

(Rest assured that if I had my druthers, I would be carrying a shotgun with slugs.)

Kampfjaeger said:
...but a handgun for the nasty surprise in the night - that sort of thing - is what I am looking for.

Oh...you've heard about my sense of humor then...

I would check into the phase plasma pistol... it is a cut-down version of the 40 watt phase plasma rifle. Check with BruiseLee on availability.

Of course, it isn't legal to hunt with, but then again you wouldn't be the hunter... just the hunted. That puts it in the self-defense catagory. :D

BTW... I'm carrying a SW Mountain Gun in .45LC. I don't have any hopes of stopping a Griz in full charge, but it makes me feel better having it on my hip. If I was ever doing serious work out in the woods, I'd go with the shotgun idea. I just can't afford the phase plasma pistol.

Alan

ACStudios said:
I would check into the phase plasma pistol... it is a cut-down version of the 40 watt phase plasma rifle. Check with BruiseLee on availability.
Hey, just what ya see, pal!

I was thinking of the same thing, arguing with myself between .44 and .454
.44 is more readily available and cheaper, but every bit of punch you can get is nice. I wonder what the lightest, reliable .44 is?
I think Taurus makes a titanium model. I like the Alaskan a lot, but hiking with it is like carrying 2 extra khukuris!

I think i'd be more afraid of being jumped by a big cat than messing with a bear. Generally, so i've been told, most bears being omnivores would rather scavange a kill or nibble on smaller easier game like fish and rabbits. Unless you run across a man-eater or get too close to a mama and her cub, you SHOULD be ok just letting the bear know that you are there, you see him, and that you are more of a danger than it wants a piece of. Any firearm is better than nothin. My guess would be that the louder the better. If it hurts AND makes noise, maybe Mr. Bear will decide you aren't worth the mauling. Those b@st@rd cats on the other hand, they have me looking over my shoulder. If you can keep them from jumping you from behind, then a show down with a cougar, all through not my idea of a holiday, should be pretty one sided with a loud firearm and some good aim. I know it's not the best for killing anything big, but i carry a .38 when i go into cat country. I know a .44 or .45 LC would be "better", but a .45LC kicks my butt. I'm not a gun guy. .38 works for me. I guess i could always do a .357 for a little more umph. Dunno, i just like the jack of all trades cals, i guess. I also like .22LR for my rifles if i was going to live off the land for a few days. Deer or moose? no thanks. I'll hunt me some wabbits and birdies:)

Great bear thread:) it's been awhile since we had one.

Jake

Awareness/avoidance is probably the best tactic, but if that falls down, I like the shotgun/slug idea myself. Bears can move pretty quick and you want something with lots of kinetic energy.

Shotguns are good, but they tend to be heavy and bulky, and so is the ammo. They also have a high recoil, so going too light with the gun can be counter productive.

n2s

whichever calibre handgun you get, make sure you file off the front sight.
(so it don't hurt so much when the bear shoves it up your tush)

of course, your other option is to carry something light & controllable, you have a better chance of accidentally hitting something if you get reasonably good with it on paper targets which ain't got teeth & claws & rarely bite back.

and

always go hiking with a buddy. when confronted with a bear intent on grievous bodily harm, shoot your buddy in the leg & run like heck.

Back