Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

So it's shorter and narrower now, whatchu wanna say about that, huh??

Stuff happened. Stuff was "corrected".

IMG_20211202_213716_2-small.jpg

This one is finished:

I always was intrigued by the old USN Mark 5 dive knives. They are the ones that have the brass sheath and the knife screws into the sheath. I wanted a sheath for my ice pick, so I made a USN MARK 5 tribute ice pick. With 1/2” copper pipe and fittings. E6F5AFBC-5E70-40E0-A041-D8A04DBA2A90.jpeg

Not a knife, but here's a boy's axe I just recently rehung. Handle had a lot of figuring so I gave it an older style finish to bring out the curls.

51830025730_aeba26abb8_z.jpg

You got rid of Wayne too :) Nice Job!
Thanks, it’s my first Becker mod. Next is to strip the coating and add walnut scales. Already got a leather sheath made. Just have to fine tune the spine. It’s a hair off in one spot. The de-ramp is 95% there though.

Sweet! Blade length?

I saw a small bladed knife on BCUSA earlier, and had commented on it, saying that a shorter blade is all you need most times. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

I saw a small bladed knife on BCUSA earlier, and had commented on it, saying that a shorter blade is all you need most times. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Me too... it's been in the drawer for like a year.
Small knives are awesome. Though some patterns don't scale terribly well.
The thin handle pattern with the hidden tang will require some adjustments.
Got the glue-up started now, so hopefully it will be done by the end of the week. It's been... slow this last year.

Needs more handle finish and something for a sheath.
That's curly *hickory*, btw. Like... whut? I bought a whole maul handle for the wood.
Hard to capture it, but should really pop with some Tru-Oil.
There's a limit to how thin I can make a stick-tang handle constructed this way.
The proportions remind me of one of Dubz's big-hand stubby knives.

IMG_20220321_220416-small.jpg

IMG_20220321_220455-small.jpg

IMG_20220321_220512-small.jpg

Very cool man. Yep, big handle, small blade, that's me, haha.

🤔I could take a little off the top of the handle, but amn't sure about that. The handle is a tad large for my hand. I also don't want to re-sand it.

Took a little off the top of the handle (removed more at the bolster) to give it a bit more shape and slim it down, and refinished. Still needs a heavy BLO or Tru-Oil treatment, and gave it a sheath. I'll try to get some daylight pictures tomorrow.

Little stubby Kephart seems much more reasonable now. Like an tweener betwixt the BK-62 and the BK-13. :D

IMG_20220324_202440_2-small.jpg

IMG_20220324_202336_2-small.jpg

(yes, I said "betwixt" 😅)

Love it man, that's awesome. :thumbsup:

Back