Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

Here are some ideas...

Vik, whaddaya think about this version of a birudashi?
Constraints I'm working within:
1) not breaking out of the lines (so it doesn't look messy)
2) not putting an uncomfortable pressure point on the palm/heel
3) not ruining pockets or being a self-stabbing risk if sat/fallen-on

IMG_20210710_131453_2-small.jpg

IMG_20210710_135440_2-small.jpg

Looks ok to me?

Yeah, the issue is two-fold (3?):
1) your fingers feel the opener when they wrap around, whereas your palm would sort of mask it on the back
2) when opening, you'd be pulling up against the edge vs. the spine of the sharp part. And that would be in the weak direction of the sheath.

so I'm going to have to do a reverse sheath or something for this goof and then try again.

Marked, sheathed, edged.
I hate it backwards, but it will probably function. :p

Yep, that's purple. Leaving it on. Edge is 61Rc. I hit the narrow part of the tang next to the opener with a torch in the hopes of giving it a bit more resilience than the standard temper of the whole blade which targets the edge. Sheath needs a 3rd eyelet to tighten things up. This layout is weird.

Will test shortly.

IMG_20210715_224227-small.jpg

IMG_20210715_224448-small.jpg

IMG_20210715_231011-small.jpg

Last edited:
Adjusted the geometry around the cap-lifter tooth so it works on more bottles now. Added a 3rd grommet to the sheath. It's funny revisiting an 'old' design. I'm remembering how many details took a long time to get exactly right. Anyway, I still don't like the lifter on the belly or the reverse sheath that it requires, but this is promising. Too hot do do more than minor adjustments today, so another prototype will have to wait until it cools off.

IMG_20210717_191940-small.jpg

that's a lot prettier than my hot metal project this afternoon!
all i did was turn a 6.5" long piece of 3/4" square stick into a 1.5" cube with a couple hammers and a lot of propane.
(would have been a LOT easier with a press, but I wouldn't have learned as much)

that's a lot prettier than my hot metal project this afternoon!
all i did was turn a 6.5" long piece of 3/4" square stick into a 1.5" cube with a couple hammers and a lot of propane.
(would have been a LOT easier with a press, but I wouldn't have learned as much)

*lol* thanks.

But your work - so upsetting!😅:cool:
What did you do that for?

hammer control and learning how to move metal in different ways.

I'm imagining you swinging two opposing hammers simultaneously at two opposite ends of a piece of hot steel on the anvil.

My buddy was unsatisfied with his bit of straightened 0.800" coil spring, so he went about trying to upset it a good bit to get it thick enough to forge an integral chef knife. SO much work. I would have just settled for a narrow bolster!

Funny/sad part of it is the dimples in the middle of 4 edges caused by me holding the tongs really tight while trying to get the faces square.

Funny/sad part of it is the dimples in the middle of 4 edges caused by me holding the tongs really tight while trying to get the faces square.

Next time just squeeze it from the ends with your tongs, Thor! 💪💪
Also, if Thor has a named hammer, he needs named tongs too. Whatcha callin' 'em?

Last edited:
Back