Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

Nice work Nikki. One day I might have to get a Remora. I'm liking what folks are doing with the scales.

Ha!
I just made the liners.
Scales are TKC (knife connection). I've made several out of various materials, but none quite compare to these.
KaBar 4" sheath, until I figure which maker I want to build me the perfect match.
I do rather appreciate the low profile of that one.

Ha!
I just made the liners.
Scales are TKC (knife connection). I've made several out of various materials, but none quite compare to these.
KaBar 4" sheath, until I figure which maker I want to build me the perfect match.
I do rather appreciate the low profile of that one.
@tgswarbrick Cool i will check it out. How does the shorter KABAR leather sheath fit? Cus my usmc sjeath which is obviously longer is pretty loose on the clasp. I wanted a decent cheap leather one for it but if the fit isnt any good...

Fits great, but is still a bit long. Must be a 5 inch model. I'll see if I can double check the order.

Clasp is snug. Had to stretch it the first couple times, but is fine now.

I wonder if KaBar's Skinner sheath would fit a hair better, but only see them in brown. Haven't tested it.

Made patriotic(Swede) liners for the king.
DSC_0524_zpsgt7royg5.jpg

The slightly bigger grip felt great when chopping!

Now that I'm looking at a full size pic, I got one suggestion for ya, Nikki: Shape the bolster part first, with the scales pinned and clamped together. It'll eliminate the grind/file marks on the ricasso and the guard - plus it's a heckuva lot easier to shape that part without the knife in the way. They look great, tho! I'd definitely advocate for getting as much of the guard off as possible when you do yours. Looking forward to seeing the next iteration....
That's a great idea, thanks! I will just hacksaw the guard off as much as I can, and slowly take the rest off with the belt sander. I need to order some more micarta. I might throw some more pins in mine as well, now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing.

Was at the LTWK Pouting this past weekend and not only did I score a sweetly modified BK2 in trade (full flat grind, straight clip point, and modded scales), but I also peeped a nice BK5 that was modified by Spen of JRE Industries. He uses it for his camp kitchen!

18221805_10155316318369207_4118227663371132059_n.jpg

18199193_10155316318404207_5249930014665350368_n.jpg

Decided to break two unfinished blades to compare grain structures of two different heat treat protocols with 1084. Turns out normalization does make things better...just like the experts say. Anyway, kind of fun to crank a blade in a vise then smack it with a hammer. Heat treat with normalization on top.

Finally finished the cherry scales over venom G10 on the BK20.
Tung oil darkened it quite a bit...

Turned out kinda similar to Tommy's rosewood scales over emerald shadetree micarta on the 9:

I have been busy making some for orders and for the show next week. I love the custom handle work the most. Some of the stabilized wood comes from the home farm or the farm in Maine. 100 year old Apple and old Walnut, stabilized by K & G as well as Osage Orange and special Micarta.

N7ACL2Sl.jpg

VsPCzsjl.jpg

Decided to break two unfinished blades to compare grain structures of two different heat treat protocols with 1084. Turns out normalization does make things better...just like the experts say. Anyway, kind of fun to crank a blade in a vise then smack it with a hammer. Heat treat with normalization on top.

Are you forging or just stock removal?

Back