BeckerWest Fall 2017 Nov 10th-12th

Well... as much as I really want to go. It looks like I won't be able to make it out. Baby will be a few weeks old and my wife will need help around the house and with the baby. Have fun guys, pass the capless bottle of whiskey for me a few times!

I think I got to meet you at the last Gathering though I don't believe we got to hang out much. Congrats on the new kiddo on the way. Hoping for a speedy recovery for your wife, a healthy baby, and an easy adjustment period for you all. Hopefully I will get to catch you at the next Becker shindig.

If anyone has any new and or different contest ideas let me know. I have been busy and hadn't come up with anything exciting

If anyone has any new and or different contest ideas let me know. I have been busy and hadn't come up with anything exciting

I have only been to the one Gathering earlier this year so perhaps this has been done in past get-togethers. If so and it was a bust, then you can ignore the following ideas.

We had a series of contests at the last Gathering, has there been any thoughts given to providing workshops of any sort? I could think of a number of things that would be fun and perhaps informative for some to engage in. Some of these can even tie into some of the contests or even new contests be developed from some workshops as well.
  • Shelter Building
  • Knife and Tool (Axe) Sharpening
  • Cooking
  • Fire Making
  • Wilderness Foraging
  • Comforts vs Essentials
  • Basic Bushcraft
  • Chopping
  • Carving/Whittling
  • Other
And how could I forget Workshops involving the Finer Things?
  • Whiskey and/or Whisky tasting
  • Cigar/Pipe tobacco sampling
  • Beer drinking
:D

Just some random thoughts.

Basic Bushcraft would be cool. I know up at Ethans place they are going to be doing TRY sticks.

I remember Mingo did the foraging class that one time.
Fal'er has done a few tutorials on finding fatwood, tying knots, and making char cloth.
The try stick sounds like fun.
We could always do a basic first aid class too.
I don't know. I'm always down for whatever.

On a side note:

Does anybody who is attending this Gathering own a Ratmandu? And if so, would it be possible to bring it? I am considering picking one up at some point, but I kind of want to check it out first.

Does anyone have any requests from me before it gets too late? I'll try to get some things finished for the gathering.

On a side note:

Does anybody who is attending this Gathering own a Ratmandu? And if so, would it be possible to bring it? I am considering picking one up at some point, but I kind of want to check it out first.

I got one a few years ago and was thuroughly disappointed...sold it immediately bought another Fiddleback and never looked back.

I got one a few years ago and was thuroughly disappointed...sold it immediately bought another Fiddleback and never looked back.

I appreciate the input. Jonny1280 Jonny1280 gave me some good thoughts on it too. I will likely pass the knife by, seems like there are much better options to be had. I understand that with some fine tuning, it can be a pretty decent blade, but if I can find better knives at a similar price point without having to work on them, then that is the route I would prefer to take.

I was planning on wearing my kilt this time...

Fall/winter makes for exceptional kilt wearing weather. Just saying...

I loved my RMD, until I started collecting Beckers.
Still a fine blade, but the handle is a little slab-sided, to me.
Never seen a comparable Fiddleback in the same price range, but yeah, if it existed that would be the way to go!

Still not sure I'm gonna make it to this Fall's BeckerWest - but it's on my radar.

I appreciate the input. Jonny1280 Jonny1280 gave me some good thoughts on it too. I will likely pass the knife by, seems like there are much better options to be had. I understand that with some fine tuning, it can be a pretty decent blade, but if I can find better knives at a similar price point without having to work on them, then that is the route I would prefer to take.

Fall/winter makes for exceptional kilt wearing weather. Just saying...
On a side note:

Unfortunately I am going to have to bow out of this gathering. Due to my school schedule I am only working 2 days a week and making a 6 hour drive to Oregon in a rig that gets 12 MPG isn't in the budget.

Unfortunately I am going to have to bow out of this gathering. Due to my school schedule I am only working 2 days a week and making a 6 hour drive to Oregon in a rig that gets 12 MPG isn't in the budget.
What if it was just an 1 1/2hr drive to The Twin Cities?

did you win the lottery, or just have a million frequent flier points to burn?

that makes more sense - I was trying to figure out what you were doing in the land of 10k lakes - or wisconsin.

Back