Been gone...Way too long....

I have been in two car wrecks that I should not have survived. Both of them were powerful life changing experiences. After the first wreck I went to the body shop that towed the wrecked car to get some possessions out of it. That was a few hours after it happened. When I got there all the employees came outside and just watched me. I asked my father and the guy who was taking me to my car why they all were watching. At that moment standing there looking at them and the wrecked car I realized that I should not have survived, let alone be out of the hospital already. At that point the gravity of the situation hit me.

I saw the pics of your truck. That was a heck of an accident. It is normal to need some time to recover mentally and physically from something like that. We are all glad you are OK. Hug someone you care about today. :) Life is precious.

Well said!

Glad to hear you’re doing well Mr. Becker.

Hope you are able to spend some time with some family and friends doing something fun outdoors.

Hey Molokai....

thank you for the kind words of advice...

I am spending a lot of time on a friends ranch near Darby Montana...The owner is a friend of damn near forty years and there is quite a wonderful community here... It is funny to me that my home in Tennessee is just about 25 minutes from the nearest Coke machine and the ranch is just about thirty miles from an eerily similar Coke machine....To be able to call both these places of incredible and incredibly different natural beauty home is not given to many and I am extremely grateful. The ranch is absolutely lousy with elk. The elk and a bunch of Mountain Goats are the principal hazards to traffic. Good times!

all best ... e

Very happy to have you back and in relativley good health. I have had many Becker knives over the years and now I have "The Joy of Cooking" as well. Looks like I'm doing the cooking from now on.;)

Hey Molokai....

thank you for the kind words of advice...

I am spending a lot of time on a friends ranch near Darby Montana...The owner is a friend of damn near forty years and there is quite a wonderful community here... It is funny to me that my home in Tennessee is just about 25 minutes from the nearest Coke machine and the ranch is just about thirty miles from an eerily similar Coke machine....To be able to call both these places of incredible and incredibly different natural beauty home is not given to many and I am extremely grateful. The ranch is absolutely lousy with elk. The elk and a bunch of Mountain Goats are the principal hazards to traffic. Good times!

all best ... e

I fell in love with Montana many years ago when I needed a break after a personal tragedy in my life ... and just traveled around until it felt like a place to stop ...

it's beautiful ... it's peaceful ... most of the people I met were very similar and friendly ... so I moved there later in my life for about 12 years ...

I moved back to Iowa to be able to help out my parents about 10 years ago ... and I love Iowa too the hunting and fishing is great ... not as much wide open but plenty of country ... no mountains just rolling hills but it's home ...

you lived in Tennessee ... and now you're in Montana ... I lived in Montana but since I moved back to Iowa ... I was spending a lot of time in Tennessee and had thoughts of moving there in a few years ...

I think it's something about the mountains that just draws you in and get inside you ...

either way I can't think of a better place to recoup and heal body, mind, and soul.

Last edited:
Hey Guys....

I still officially live in Tennessee but, it does look as if I am not there very much these days..... Mike, I miss your smiling face at Friday lunch and Dysphoric I miss seeing you guys a bunch...Kephart Country is a truly fine place.... The Eastern Hardwood Forest will always be a great big part of my home.....

JJ..... The three friendliest places I have spent time in are Montana, Texas and Tennessee..... It is interesting to me that Texas is, in many ways a western extension of Tennessee and may get it’s “friendly” from that Infusion of Volunteers in Texas’s early days.... Who Knows?...Wherever they got their friendly Montanans are great.... I grew up in Ohio and always felt it friendly....And it is but........

Where in Montana did you live?

Sounds good to me....We have a Campground all set up on the Nez Perce River just a few miles from the ranch.... Great trout fishing just a few feet from your tent...Incredible scenery.... Try Googling Nez Perce Road Darby. 2.8 miles from West Fork Road the pavement ends and that is where the site is....Across the road f

Hey Guys....

I still officially live in Tennessee but, it does look as if I am not there very much these days..... Mike, I miss your smiling face at Friday lunch and Dysphoric I miss seeing you guys a bunch...Kephart Country is a truly fine place.... The Eastern Hardwood Forest will always be a great big part of my home.....

JJ..... The three friendliest places I have spent time in are Montana, Texas and Tennessee..... It is interesting to me that Texas is, in many ways a western extension of Tennessee and may get it’s “friendly” from that Infusion of Volunteers in Texas’s early days.... Who Knows?...Wherever they got their friendly Montanans are great.... I grew up in Ohio and always felt it friendly....And it is but........

Where in Montana did you live?

I think you might be right ... and growing up in Iowa it is small town friendly ... everyone knows everyone for the most part ... and as you said but ...

something about Montana that just felt different ... people may not have been any friendlier necessarily ... it might be friendliness and a bit of kindred spirits to love the place and what it offers ...

I first lived between Cut bank and Shelby N.W. of Great Falls but about a year later moved out between Kalispell and Whitefish ... and may end up back out that way someday.

Sounds good to me....We have a Campground all set up on the Nez Perce River just a few miles from the ranch.... Great trout fishing just a few feet from your tent...Incredible scenery.... Try Googling Nez Perce Road Darby. 2.8 miles from West Fork Road the pavement ends and that is where the site is....Across the road f
I'm in, let me know if I can do anything to help.

HeY Fal’er....

will I see you at Blade West????? Mayhap we can do a bit of scheming....
BTW Vik.... Good idea....I really miss ya my friend.... Let us figure something out....

Hi Ethan.

Looks like for some reason your post was truncated.

I am very well acquainted with area you are talking about. On all the old maps, it was labeled the Nez Perce Trail Road. It is also call the Magruder Corridor Road. I got up that way twice this year, first in June and then in September. I went up to Horse Creek going up Woods Creek road and then back into Idaho. Both times I was up that was my thoughts were on how you were doing?

Back