Benchmade 560 (Freek) Any thoughts?

I was going back and forth between the mini griptilian and the spyderco delica, eventually I decided on the delica, but then as soon as I decided this I find out the benchmade is releasing the 560. Does anyone know anything about it or do you guys have any thoughts on it? I think I will place a pre-order but I am curious to hear other opinions :)

It seems like just another "plastic " benchmade. Personally, if im gonna spend that price on a knife, I want g10, and full stainless liners. And for that reason, spyderco has my business.

It seems like just another "plastic " benchmade. Personally, if im gonna spend that price on a knife, I want g10, and full stainless liners. And for that reason, spyderco has my business.
The "plastic" is just as durable -if not moreso- than the plastic Spyderco uses. In addition,the Freek does have full stainless liners. They are nested liners, but they are full size.

Apparently the black part of the grip is a rubberized material. I'm interested in seeing what that will be like. Perhaps it is something similar to what they used on some of the early HK Axis knives, which were quite comfortable and held up surprisingly well in my experience. Are any of the members here with more knowledge than me familiar with the "versaflex" material? Is this something new or has it been used before on other Benchmades? Also, I'd like to see the Polymer in the center in an OD green.

the plastic handles on the grips have held up amazingly well over the years, i expect these to do the same

I'm iffy about rubberized plastics, I've had bad luck with them on things like phones and PC mice in the past. Maybe Benchmade has something better, though.

My bigger problem is that I just think the new knives look cheap. The two-tone plastic handle reminds me of something you'd find in the case at Wal-Mart, not a $100+ knife from a premium manufacturer like Benchmade.

Apparently the black part of the grip is a rubberized material. I'm interested in seeing what that will be like. Perhaps it is something similar to what they used on some of the early HK Axis knives, which were quite comfortable and held up surprisingly well in my experience. Are any of the members here with more knowledge than me familiar with the "versaflex" material? Is this something new or has it been used before on other Benchmades? Also, I'd like to see the Polymer in the center in an OD green.
They've used it on a couple fixed blades already. I, too, am curious to see how durable it is. The grivory that makes up the skeleton of the handle is plenty durable, so the wear/abrasion resistance of the versaflex is really the only part in question.

I pre-ordered one.

Looks like a solid capable knife to me. Good blade size, good steel, reasonable price.

Of course I can't say until I have one in hand but from what I've seen so far I think it's a winner.

I pre-ordered one.

Looks like a solid capable knife to me. Good blade size, good steel, reasonable price.

Of course I can't say until I have one in hand but from what I've seen so far I think it's a winner.

Out of curiosity where did you pre order from? I was looking to pre order from BHQ but I was wondering if there are any better places. I plan to preorder today or tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity where did you pre order from? I was looking to pre order from BHQ but I was wondering if there are any better places. I plan to preorder today or tomorrow.

I ordered mine from Knifeworks but BHQ is a good dealer. Due to MAP pricing you're pretty much going to get the same deal / price wherever you buy. Places like KW,BHQ, KSF and some others are among the better dealers to buy from. Also, you can request they inspect the knife for thing's like blade centering and play before they ship and they'll be happy to do it.

Best of luck!

I ordered mine from Knifeworks but BHQ is a good dealer. Due to MAP pricing you're pretty much going to get the same deal / price wherever you buy. Places like KW,BHQ, KSF and some others are among the better dealers to buy from. Also, you can request they inspect the knife for thing's like blade centering and play before they ship and they'll be happy to do it.

Best of luck!

Awesome thanks!

To me it looks like the Doug Ritter Grip. Maybe thats why they discontinued it to make ppl purchase this instead. I can never get past the point though an item over $100 and cheap handle material. Dont get me wrong i love Benchmade just saying in general. My summertime when wearing shorts is always my 940-1. Loveeee it

It took me a long time to warm up to the Grip. Didn't like the look or feel of the plastic handles. Seemed "cheap" to me.

Some fifteen years later the Grip has proven itself to be one tough and reliable knife. Almost bomb proof as some would say, So maybe the looks can be deceiving. What stands out for me on the 560 is the slightly longer blade. One of my minor complaints with the sub 3.5" Grip blades.

Guess only time will tell though.

I'm excited about this knive and have one on the way. Couldn't resist at $100 shipped. Love the blade shape and am optimistic about the scale material.

just got one yesterday. same internal build as the grip. think grip with rubberized over-mold. light but very solid. no blade play in any direction, no plastic clack sound when axis engages. blade was very sharp out of box as were all the samples i saw. handle has a slight taper from front to rear, very nice. clip was super tight which made in-out of pocket a challenge. the texture does make the more difficult but the clip at least rests on the hard solid material of the frame so it helps.

Let me know how all of you like the handle material...that's going to be the deciding factor for me

Back