Benchmade 560 (Freek) Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Benchmade Knife Company' started by grennings23, Jan 20, 2017.

1. snapshot2017

snapshot2017

Jan 28, 2017
    Looks like another new Benchmade knife as for the spyderco Delica i have one and it's a very nice and useful knife also it's cost around $50 less then the new BM 560. Both knives are from quality knife Mfg's. So you can't go wrong with what ever you end up buying.

New and soon coming Benchmade 560
    Dual durometer handles afford strength, comfort and positive grip to this versatile folder. Made in USA.

Designer: Benchmade
    Mechanism: AXIS®
    Action: Manual-opening
    Blade Steel: CPM-S30V (58-60 HRC)
    Blade Length: 3.60" (9.14cm)
    Blade Thickness: 0.114" (2.896mm)
    Open Length: 8.46" (21.49cm)
    Closed Length: 4.86" (12.34cm)
    Handle Thickness: 0.65" (16.51mm)
    Weight: 3.72oz. (105.46g)

FEATURES
    Blade Edge Plain
    Blade Finish/Color Satin
    Blade Style/Shape Drop-point
    Clip Type Split arrow
    Clip Position Reversible Tip-Up
    Glass Breaker No
    Handle Material Versaflex
    Lanyard Hole Yes
    MOLLE Compatible No
    Sheath Type No Sheath
    Use Every Day

2. ginaz

ginaz

Apr 19, 2001
    been carrying it exclusively the past couple of days. the s30v is holding up much better than i remembered it being. i've done some food prep on a wooden cutting board and broken down a handful of cardboard boxes with no effect on the edge. it's holding that initial high sharpness very well. handle feels great in the hand and there is no blade play in any direction. the one complaint i have is the grippiness of the handle is making in or out of the pocket more challenging. i've put a looser clip on to help with this but it's something that will likely always be an issue. still, i'm really loving it so far.

3. Knives&Lint

Knives&Lint

May 10, 2013
    Mine came in from KW today and I am pleased with it. I wasn't planning on getting one right away but I got a new EDC/truck pack (Oakley Extractor) and it had a slot for a pocket clip on the strap so I figured this would be a perfect all-purpose knife to throw on there. Feels pretty much like a grip 2.0 IMO. It is comfortable in the hand and the rubber scales don't bother me at all, but only time will tell how well they will hold up. They seem durable enough though, not quite as soft as the rubber on my Snody HK AXIS. Blade centering was dead on. I loosened the pivot ever so slightly (maybe 1/16 of a turn or possibly even less) and it flicks easily open and closed with the best of them, still without the slightest hint of play. As mentioned earlier, it doesn't have the plastic "thwack" sound of the grip that many hate but most of us grow to love when we experience the utility of the knife over time, though it still has a great AXIS lock sound. All in all, good purchase, another nice workhorse BM that I plan to use with reckless abandon.

4. godzilla78

godzilla78 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2014
    @NSBL what first prod number range did you get Buddy? mine's coming from KW too but as I'm in the UK its gonna be a while before i see it :(

5. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    This knife is def not for me then. Thanks for the info!

6. Knives&Lint

Knives&Lint

May 10, 2013
    I got #322/1000

7. billym

billym

Jan 8, 2006
    So does it have the same liners as a full sized Griptilian?

8. ginaz

ginaz

Apr 19, 2001
    yes, same partial steel liners. mine is #540

9. loonybin

loonybin Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 1999
    I thought it had full liners that are nested inside the grivory. Are you sure they're the same size as the Grip?

10. ginaz

ginaz

Apr 19, 2001
    I'm sure. I can try to get a pic tomorrow

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

11. lamanian

lamanian

Jun 1, 2016
    To me the Freek looks pretty much like a ritter grip and I luvs my ritter grips. Im not a big fan of s30v however as I like to keep my bevels at 30 degrees or lower and s30v is way to chippy at 30 degrees. I also prefer the ritters flat grind to the hollow grind on freek but If they put one out in M4 or M390 id be all over it. The new rubberized handle scales do intrigue me however, I think id prefer them to the plastic griptilian scales. That being said, there is nothing wrong with the gritilian scales they are very light and very durable also, have a good amount of grip. In fact, they are probably the best scales you could ask for from purely a functional stand point but they do still just have cheapy feel about them.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  12. ginaz

ginaz

Apr 19, 2001
    [​IMG]

13. 99cuts

99cuts

Apr 18, 2013
    This ^^

14. loonybin

loonybin Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 1999
    Thanks! I found the CAD drawing thread on the Benchmade Forum also, and they show just how short the liners are. I like the full liners on the 590 more.

15. jaypowell0185

jaypowell0185 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2013
    I got number 357 and I love the feel of mine. The number is just an added bonus.

16. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    I had a Spyderco Provenator that had rubberized inserts.

I hated it.

It actually was a pain to pull out of my pocket that I once have myself a wedgy.

17. StuntDouble

StuntDouble

Apr 26, 2004
    I wonder if these could use the same custom handles as previous series.

18. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    [​IMG]

probably not. just saw this on a yt review.

[video]https://youtu.be/GCBif2BEpss[/video]
    https://youtu.be/GCBif2BEpss

I really don't like it after watching that. good blade shape, should be a better slicer. grip looks comfortable in hand. but. I'm not going to suggest under built but not hard use.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  19. dano

dano

Oct 3, 1998
    Those rubberized handles are going to wear quickly, and I wonder what BM's stance will be with them.For those who haven't handled it, the lighter colored insert is a hard plastic, and the rest of the handle is rubberized.

20. 5370H55V

5370H55V

Mar 1, 2008
    Any chance the blade could be swapped into a grip handle?