Benchmade cuts up guns now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge 2A supporter here and there are laws on the books varying by city/state that certain firearms need to be destroyed. There are companies that specialize in this and insure the parts classified as a firearm by the ATF are destroyed. The parts not classified as a firearm are sold as parts to individuals that need these parts for a repair or rebuild.

Benchmade is not one of the companies that specializes in the activity and it's poor judgement on their part to be involved. I would bet they weren't even aware that the local PD would publish this info.

How likely is it that a confiscated gun sold by a Police Department to a citizen legally allowed to own it would end up being used in a crime again?? Pretty much ZERO. Really think bad guys buy guns from PDs or good guys who bought a gun from a PD would sell it to a questionable person? A gun bought from a PD? Not plausible.

It has happened and more PD's are destroying to ensure this doesn't happen in the future. https://www.king5.com/article/news/...e-used-in-new-crimes-reports-ap/281-610494816

It's a trade-off of revenue to bad publicity if one of these is used in a crime again.

If I’m carrying a particular weapon that is, by nature, deemed an illegal weapon, my action is a crime. The weapon must be destroyed? Why on earth would BKC assist w/that?

Until a few years ago, it was a crime in TN to carry concealed auto knives (& Bali’s). See the problem, BKC?

I don’t know the laws in OR, but it would be ironic if BKC were asked to help destroy their own product. There wouldn’t be a market for that product for long.
Business suicide.

First the questionable rollout of hunttheweb and now this... what a week!

iSCtHDb.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t support this and will not be buying any further benchmade knives. My Hogue Doug Ritter is feeling wonderful and even more special today. Benchmade, majority of your customer base is pro gun. This was a very unwise business decision. Know your customers

I don't particular care what reasoning was given as an attempt to rationalize why the firearms were being destroyed.

I can't conceive of any legitimate reason to ever destroy a perfectly functional firearm.

If they were used in crimes, they could be sold as a form of restitution for the victims.

BM should have known that participating in such an act was immoral and illogical, and likely to be frowned upon by their customer base.

It's amusing that a company that makes tools participates in behavior based on the demonization of tools.

Last edited:
What’s hunt the web?
it's an online contest that started on 2.19, i logged in and none of my preset info was saved by the site. it was/is a time-based hunting contest that has different stages stretching over weeks or months. it was so botched i gave up. up for grabs were/are 3 gold class crooked rivers among other trinkets.

A post with zero explanation as to why the firearms were due to be destroyed, showing a company who's customer base is very 2A loyal cutting up those guns when there are plenty of other shops in the area not tied into the weapons market that are more than capable of assisting the department with destroying a few guns. Something is definitely not right about these events.

I could care less what the Oregon City Police “clarified”. I don’t support the destruction of firearms and I especially don’t support knife companies like benchmade getting involved in this process no matter the circumstances. They lost a customer with me. I’m pro 2A and a police officer. I would never had asked benchmade to do this and I wouldn’t have posted it on social media had the law required the police to destroy the guns. This was stupid on benchmade’s part to participate. We do it discreetly at a foundry that melts things down. And nothing is posted online.

Honestly, given the labor costs and the values of used guns, its probably not much of an income return for a PD to bother with selling. I could understand a company contracting to decom guns and selling the parts, but its not going to be a huge market. Cars, maybe, but even then, I wouldn't be shocked if the average "police auction" just ended up as a charity thing. Stuff tends to not have value, and since cash can be seized, its more likely that would be an actual income function. But of course it all comes down to a case by case basis on each location. Trying to apply one set of circumstances to all locales would be foolish. Miami Dade probably would have more high-performance boats than say Casper Wyoming.

As for Benchmade being asked to destroy their own product, I don't see the concern there. If due process has been followed what else would they do? Clean it up and sell it again as a factory second? What happens in places where the ATF registered disposal shop is an AR-15 builder, and they get one of their products back under these conditions? I'd rather buy from a company who is upfront with doing what they say they will do, rather than one that hides behind the politically acceptable dogma of the day.

Its pretty obvious at this point that there are a few in the discussion and probably more on other platforms who were never going to wait for an honest response anyway, and the overwhelming voice has been that Benchmade is now persona (corporatus?) non-grata and there was never any plan for good faith to begin with. We still do not know if the guns were suitable for sale. So any talk of morality or logic is a pretty big pill for me to swallow.

I get that this is a touchy subject for a lot of folks. I'm not going to discount that. But knee jerk reactions, raging out, and throwing a tantrum doesn't allow for reasoned debate. I have no skin in this game, but if I did, I'd walk away, because there is no winning here. That's been decided already by some here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back