Benchmade Fakes, knock-offs, counterfeits thread...

It's possible it's real and someone used the wrong washers in it. The hardware looks good. The scales look good too. HOWEVER, online photos of this knife show the tiny "R" in the butterfly logo at the bottom right and yours is missing. Usually in a replicas the "R" is too large and it's readable, while the real R is tiny and hard to read. Yours is gone.

Yours is an enigma - I'm going to need to see the jimping on the back of the knife, with the blade edge facing down or away from the camera. I also need a better view if the orange liners inside texture.

Fake Logo

img_1670-jpg.2029180

Fake steel cartridge and Thumbstuds on left - Real ones on right. See how rough and poorly finished the jimping is on the fake's steel cartridge

incorrect-shape-to-thumb-studs-and-liners-jpg.2029171

Fake G10 liner below - texture inside is smooth

missing-texture-on-liners-of-fake-jpg.1969486

Real G10 liners below, with little bumpy texture inside

correct-texture-on-liners-on-genuine-jpg.1969487
Got some decent pictures don't know what to make of it liners look right but I'm not sure about the rest.

Got some decent pictures don't know what to make of it liners look right but I'm not sure about the rest.
I'm going with genuine.

Studs are real, liners are real, scales look real, axis lock looks real, jimping on the steel liner looks real, screws look real. I don't see red flags on the clip (except it's bent). The only puzzle is the washers and logo. I think someone changed out the washers which is messing up the action. I doubt they'd change the blade to fake (hence no "r" on the right bottom logo) but then put real thumb studs on it, and those studs look real. Again, I only looked at a few of these to see if the logo changed over time online, but I didn't look at dozens.

Last edited:
8 years ago when I was flat broke and started my knife obsession I bought a fake osbourne with real carbon fiber scales for 55 dollars...... Now with thousands of dollars worth of real name brand knives in my collection I still love that fake..... I don't know what kind of steel it is made with but it holds an edge better than my real ones do.... The action on it is flawless and the scales are sexy AF.

Buying fakes is like a scratch off lottery ticket, once in a while you get a good one...... But 99% of the time you get skunked.
I just got a carbon fiber Bugout which is clearly a fake based on what I paid for it. I'll use the heck out of this knife - amazingly well made actually. I'm not a modern flipper type knife afficianado, so it's decent enough for me (don't worry, I won't ever sell it - it's for my use only).

I just got a carbon fiber Bugout which is clearly a fake based on what I paid for it. I'll use the heck out of this knife - amazingly well made actually. I'm not a modern flipper type knife afficianado, so it's decent enough for me (don't worry, I won't ever sell it - it's for my use only).
I've bought two "clones" as gifts on Amazon for $49 that were pretty decently made to look and feel like a CF bugout, but not actually "replicas" (as there is no logo with a brand, and it's sold in a plain unbranded black box).

I've been given two fakes as gifts that I kept, so they don't get out in the wild (Taggedout, and Narrows). I didn't want to hurt the giver's feelings either, and let them know they were fake, in case they paid the genuine article's price.

But the two fakes that I bought on fleabay, thinking they were real were both returned for full refunds and reported to eBay (the Griptilian in my pics, and a tanto PM2 that I lost the pics). Fakes often fund organized crime, so we ask that people don't buy them or put them back out in the wild.

Dear friends
I've found few fake Benchmade lately
I was able to touch it and that is why I am putting here those pictures.
All are fakes.
Narrows has liners under "titanium"
Bugout has Damascus from laser and blue is not so blue.
Silver Bugout was never sold like that as I remember. And axis was odd.

What do you guys think of this Adamas Mini 273FE-2? I picked it up on eBay before I realized that there is such a high percentage of counterfeit Benchmades out there! The price was under $200 but I figured it was due to CPM-CruWear steel instead of the new Magnacut steel. The seller communicated well and had 100% positive feedback. He was selling some other Benchmade knives as well...I was thinking he was a dealer or selling dealer overstock maybe? Full return option was in full play also so worst case, I can return it up to 30 days! So, the knife arrived fast and was well packed. I compared everything that I had read about that could lead to a suspect fake but my new knife didn't really check any boxes but the one thing that concerned me is that the box had the 1 clear tape circle on the bottom but it was already cut open...maybe to take the photos but maaaaaybeee to swap real with fake?? I'm not sure but I wanted to present my photos for your review so I can sleep easy knowing I have a real Benchmade or a fake!

Here are my unboxing photos and then some glamor shots! (Linked albums due to large number of photos)

Hoping for good news because I am really liking this knife!

Last edited:
What do you guys think of this Adamas Mini 273FE-2? I picked it up on eBay before I realized that there is such a high percentage of counterfeit Benchmades out there! The price was under $200 but I figured it was due to CPM-CruWear steel instead of the new Magnacut steel. The seller communicated well and had 100% positive feedback. He was selling some other Benchmade knives as well...I was thinking he was a dealer or selling dealer overstock maybe? Full return option was in full play also so worst case, I can return it up to 30 days! So, the knife arrived fast and was well packed. I compared everything that I had read about that could lead to a suspect fake but my new knife didn't really check any boxes but the one thing that concerned me is that the box had the 1 clear tape circle on the bottom but it was already cut open...maybe to take the photos but maaaaaybeee to swap real with fake?? I'm not sure but I wanted to present my photos for your review so I can sleep easy knowing I have a real Benchmade or a fake!

Here are my unboxing photos and then some glamor shots! (Linked albums due to large number of photos)

Hoping for good news because I am really liking this knife!

Man these fakes are unfortunately getting good...really good. This is one of the best I have seen. Very subtle details are off I will say that.

Last edited:
Man these fakes unfortunately getting good...really good. This is one of the best I have seen. Very subtle details are off I will say that.
Great! So this is a fake Adamas Mini? I felt pretty sure that is was real but I can't deny it when pointed out by Benchmade! I can't believe how accurate the knife and packaging are! I guess I could keep it as a beater knife but I really want to own a nice Benchmade! Maybe I'll contact the seller and return it! Or is it better to contact eBay for a refund? I'm new to this, I have no idea what to expect when I call the seller out on fake merchandise!

Great! So this is a fake Adamas Mini? I felt pretty sure that is was real but I can't deny it when pointed out by Benchmade! I can't believe how accurate the knife and packaging are! I guess I could keep it as a beater knife but I really want to own a nice Benchmade! Maybe I'll contact the seller and return it! Or is it better to contact eBay for a refund? I'm new to this, I have no idea what to expect when I call the seller out on fake merchandise!
ebay has pretty good customer protection I believe. Should be able to just return it like you mentioned in your first post. Got to be really careful buying from the bay. Best to order from an actual dealer or really know how to spot the fakes.

ebay has pretty good customer protection I believe. Should be able to just return it like you mentioned in your first post. Got to be really careful buying from the bay. Best to order from an actual dealer or really know how to spot the fakes.
Thanks! I will do just that!

Man these fakes unfortunately getting good...really good. This is one of the best I have seen. Very subtle details are off I will say that.
what jumped out at you to declare this a fake? i saw a few things but only after this post you made i looked closer.

what jumped out at you to declare this a fake? i saw a few things but only after this post you made i looked closer.

Not going to give specifics which would tip off fakers. There are a lot of things I can see but mainly its blade and label related.

Not going to give specifics which would tip off fakers. There are a lot of things I can see but mainly its blade and label related.
That's what I presumed but it's a double edged sword...I would like to learn all of the smallest details to be able to spot a fake in the wild! But I understand that you don't want to give away the last few secrets that these fakers haven't picked up on yet!

Back