Benchmade vs Spyderco, BM is the better value!

Wow. Maybe I have just been lucky with all the Benchmade knives that I have owned. Only one has had any problems and that was my Volli. Just a fraction of blade play and that was so slight I really could not complain. You had to look for it to find it. A very, very slight turn of the pivot screw and it was gone. No other problems, ever. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

In all fairness, I have not owned very many. Just my Volli, two Griptilian 551's, a 162 Bushcrafter, a Pardue 531, and a 111 dive knife. Six in total.

In general, Spyderco just does not work for me. I want it to but, it just does not. As of yet, I have not found one that meets both of my ergonomic needs, pocket and handling. Wait, I have to correct that, their Clip-it rescue knife is the bomb. So, I have found one, after all. I also like the Tenacious and it's a fantastic knife but falls short in blade quality and does not meet my carry needs.

I really want the PM2 to work for me but it does not. The knife is too big. I do have very high hopes for the PM3 that Spyderco claims will be out in a few months.

My experience with Benchmade's customer service is part of why I keep buying their products. I talk about my experiences some in this video. I also own several Spydercos. I need them to look at one of my PPTs but haven't been able to get ahold of them.

Number of Spydercos I have sent for repairs: zero.
Number of Benchmades I have sent for repairs: zero.

Both companies have sent me parts when I requested them to do work on my own though. :)
Benchmade usually took a few more e-mails to get a reply though.

I have more Spyderco knives, simply because more of the designs appeal to me.

Both companies make a fine product, and both send the parts to the guy I really trust to maintain my knives...me. :thumbup:

I like both brands. But Spyderco offers more variety. Bechmade seems over priced to me that and they have not come out with any new designs that I've liked in several years. Spyderco customer service is outstanding.

Before I would buy Spyderco over Benchmade thanks to, IMO, greater value for dollar, but if they are enforcing a similar MAP policy to Benchmade's, then that goes away and next time I want a knife in that price range I might be purchasing from Benchmade instead...

[edit: oops, I see this was in 2015, haha. No big deal then. Was concerned for a minute!]

Men do not tend to be grocery shoppers . Take a look at food prices . Some clothing and lack of new product except in very high end super cars. Car auctions have some real deals except for Porsche .If it was not for gasoline being down considerably , there is Core inflation every where else .

Better "Value" is a tough thing to debate.

I like BM much better than Spyderco, but I have a ton of respect for Spyderco as a company, and for many of their knives that I have enjoyed over the years.

That being said, I am a little disappointed in both companies "newer" offerings, and some of the crazy pricing (relative)
It kinda seems like neither has made anything "great" lately......

Men do not tend to be grocery shoppers . Take a look at food prices . Some clothing and lack of new product except in very high end super cars. Car auctions have some real deals except for Porsche .If it was not for gasoline being down considerably , there is Core inflation every where else .

What does this have to do with anything?

I like both equally. Just depends on my mood what I wanna carry at the time. Can't go wrong with either.

Out of the 551 and the Manix 2 I own, I opt to carry the Benchmade more.
Over the summer it took a fall at work and took a good chunk outta the edge, I sent it in for work and got it back 5 days later with the edge fixed and a new pocket clip which I requested. I can use the BM at work with no issues but the Manix, I can't get to open one handed when my fingers are even the slightest bit covered in muck.
I do like the Manix and I carry it everyday I'm not working and it does as it's supposed to. It also came sharper new than the BM. Ultimately, we all want our favorites to be king but sometimes, sharing the throne works out better for the kingdom. We get an assortment of knives that fit all our needs from both companies.

I like both companies equally, I don't really care about the price issue, if its something I can afford then I'll buy it happily, at the asking price.

I like both companies equally, I don't really care about the price issue, if its something I can afford then I'll buy it happily, at the asking price.

Not caring about prices is an interesting way to live a life.

What???

I like Benchmade's designs, at least the older ones. I wish they would make some more knives that aren't axis locks. It's a good lock, but I've grown weary of the omega springs.

I really like both. Probably have more Spydies, but going through my collection I'd have to say that I don't have 1 BM that I would sell......I have a few Spydie's I would.
I have used CS with both companies.......and I'd give the nod to BM......not by much because Charlynn is a pleasure!!
I'm glad I don't have to choose one over the other because both, in my eyes, are excellent companies!
Lastly.......I hate these type of threads, but glad to see this one stayed mostly civil.
Joe

I like both companies a lot. Great knives from each of them. With that said...

I'm down to my last Benchmade, a classic 710 M2HS that will be with me till the end. I don't carry it much as under Colorado's knife laws, even with a CCW, the blade length is illegal.

I'm down to my last three Spydercos, all phenomenal knives and all three I carry at different times. PM2, Caly Ti Frame Lock and my favorite, Manix 2 S90V CF.

My opinion is that Spyderco has been on the better design edge the last half dozen years and Benchmade has kind of lost its design edge. If I were to buy another knife, it would be a Spyderco. YMMV.

Again, both first class companies and both American owned!

Both are great brands,once BM dropped the AFCK I left and never went back.

Grrrrr.... I went back... still incensed about dropping the finest model they ever made... oh and the MAP... but I went back.

Jeez, I'm like some dude whose wife cheated on him then drained his bank account and he somehow took her back.

I feel violated, but I just can't like the hole in the blade.

Back