Benchmade vs Spyderco, BM is the better value!

Since Spyderco announced MAP enforcement, we're all waiting to see how much it will affect retail prices.

Even without Spyderco's upcoming MAP enforcement, I've felt for years that it's prices have gone through the roof and is becoming very unaffordable.

Spyderco fans always points out that Endura and Delica are available at $60 while Griptilians cost $80, and the fact that Manix 2 with S30v can be had around $90. Sure BM lack lower end offerings to compete with these lower end Spydercos.

Now let's take a look at the higher end offerings, when comparing the new CPM-20v Griptilians with G-10 at $180, or the Barrage, 710 or 810 in M390 to similarly and MUCH HIGHER priced Spydercos from $180 to $250 with Vg10 or S30V, the previous value proposition of Spyderco does not stand.

So in comparison, isn't these above mentioned BMs a better value than Spyderco?

Is BM planning on raising prices or you think the new models might cost more? I saw some pre-orders on a center that sell knives and it didn't look too bad.

We might want to reserve judgment until we see BM's 2016 pricing...

A lot depends on timing. A few years back and just before Christmas, Benchmade made an unannounced shift of policy and changed the game for many of us. Raising their prices cross the board, and eliminating long established dealers in the process caused a huge rift. And I don't think the damage was ever completely dealt with from their end. In the resounding silence that followed, many checkbooks closed, VISA cards went back into the top drawers of desks, and Spyderco saw a rise in interest, among other well-known cutlery makers. From my perspective, it was like receiving notice that my hard earned dollars spent on their product didn't matter. And so I stopped buying in the numbers every year that followed.

I've read not much that so far details exactly what the next few months will bring, but if that includes a re-mapping and price increase beyond reasonable cost-of-living, 2016 will not see any new models coming to my door. And compared to Spyderco's offerings I've always though Benchmades to be the better 'proposition', as you've said...but maybe no longer. Just my $.02 sitting here on a day off.

I could agree with you on the knives mentioned however Spyderco offers many sprint runs with upgraded steels (ie. PM2) that are in that price range so to the average Joe there might not be as good a comparison but for us aficionados I believe the playing field is pretty equal.

Is BM planning on raising prices or you think the new models might cost more? I saw some pre-orders on a center that sell knives and it didn't look too bad.

According to Knifecenter, BM prices are going up at the first of the year. With MAP *and* a price increase, BM is dropping even farther off my radar, making Spyderco even more attractive.

20CV Grip would be directly competing with the PM2 in S110V or Manix 2 in S110V both of which are around $30 less. Drop down the the Ritter Grip to forego the G10 scales and you're up against the Manix 2 Lightweight in S110V, the Native 5 Lightweight in S110V and even the Gayle Bradley 2 in CPM-M4. I dig Benchmade, but even after Spyderco switches to MAP I think the value proposition leans much farther towards Colorado than Oregon.

Let's move this to General Discussion. A manufacturer doesn't deserve to have the competition discussed in their house.

Since Spyderco announced MAP enforcement, we're all waiting to see how much it will affect retail prices....Spyderco fans always points out that Endura and Delica are available at $60 while Griptilians cost $80, and the fact that Manix 2 with S30v can be had around $90. Sure BM lack lower end offerings to compete with these lower end Spydercos....

Being a longtime Spyderco fan and a more recent Benchmade fan, I would point out that Spyderco's line of basic utilitarian models is the sweet point for most knife buyers. In this area, Benchmade has the Griptilian. You might be able to add a couple of other models by stretching the definition. Spyderco has the Dragonfly, Native, Stretch, Delica, Endura, the Chinese "___ious" line, the byrd brand...probably a few more I've forgotten. These are also the knives that will be affected less by price increases. These are also the knives that offer the most value for the knife buyer. That being quality and utility for the price paid.

I can't really comment on the more expensive, deluxe limited run lines for either Benchmade or Spyderco. I have a few Spydercos that cost over $125 and several Benchmades that cost over $150 but I don't own any of the really expensive models.

Since Spyderco announced MAP enforcement, we're all waiting to see how much it will affect retail prices.

Even without Spyderco's upcoming MAP enforcement, I've felt for years that it's prices have gone through the roof and is becoming very unaffordable.

Spyderco fans always points out that Endura and Delica are available at $60 while Griptilians cost $80, and the fact that Manix 2 with S30v can be had around $90. Sure BM lack lower end offerings to compete with these lower end Spydercos.

Now let's take a look at the higher end offerings, when comparing the new CPM-20v Griptilians with G-10 at $180, or the Barrage, 710 or 810 in M390 to similarly and MUCH HIGHER priced Spydercos from $180 to $250 with Vg10 or S30V, the previous value proposition of Spyderco does not stand.

So in comparison, isn't these above mentioned BMs a better value than Spyderco?

I just love your comparison. You've selected actual Benchmade models and named them and then to compare against you've picked a dollar value out of the air and nothing more.

You could have saved some time if you just said "rah rah I love my favorite knife brand. That's why this got moved vs. the other extensive MAP threads in the section.

As someone who is also into gaming, these Benchmade vs. Spyderco discussions remind me a lot of people arguing about which console is better. It never really becomes anything constructive and usually just ends up being a big slap fight. They both have their pros, and they outweigh the cons.

Let's just be happy that both Benchmade and Spyderco make a quality product at good prices.

Let's just be happy that both Benchmade and Spyderco make a quality product at good prices.[/QUOTE]

I think you just made too much sense...my head hurts now

You can find higher prices Spyderco knives to compare, but I look at the PM2, Military and Manix models, and those seem to be priced very well compared to Benchmade. There are some Spyderco models that I think are too expensive, so I don't buy them, but the ones that I like are priced very reasonably.

I say wait a month and then see.

Spyderco will be enforcing MAP while at the same time holding the line on prices.

We are also not raising prices on nearly all of our product line.

According to a KnifeCenter emailer two days ago it was clearly implied that Benchmade prices are going up.

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=0ae56130ebcb1dd6253c98103&id=876ee68367&e=5ee48665cc

Benchmade2015PricePage2.jpg

With some of the stuff I've seen coming out of China recently, raising prices is a bad move imo.

With some of the stuff I've seen coming out of China recently, raising prices is a bad move imo.

If price is your only criteria then buy the bottom feeder stuff. You can buy a hundred jar-benzas for the price of a quality, US made knife.

Back