Besides CPK knives, whaddaya like?

Padre - Fiddleback’s kitchen knife in O1 tool steel and maroon micarta.
yQxoPB0.jpg

Guys, asking for an advice.
I really like the Loveless droppoint hunter.
It's really clean design.
Can you recommend me a readily available model, besides Bark River? It am I just better with finding a custom maker? That would be pricey I guess.
I suggest looking at work by John April. He posts on here but also has a website with a gallery where you will see several Loveless style pieces.

Can you recommend me a readily available model, besides Bark River? It am I just better with finding a custom maker? That would be pricey I guess.

I suggest looking at work by John April. He posts on here but also has a website with a gallery where you will see several Loveless style pieces.
I can personally vouche for John April. Have 2 of his pieces in CPM154 and they are very well made. He also worked with me on handle material even ordering some he didn't have. When he built my chute knife he sent Work in Progress pics at my request.
Very clean grinds and polishing was absolute mirror.
lIKc8QC.jpg

I’ve had a few of the Bark Rivers and they aren’t bad but once I got a few handmades, I never looked back. If you want a nice one, even to use, go handmade. Even if the maker isn’t alive anymore, there’s some real good bargains out there. Especially if you can get a WC Davis for a decent price. I have many from him.

I’ve never had one of April’s in hand but to me, his knives have a slight square shaped handle that just doesn’t have the same contours like all the Loveless style knives I own or have owned. I have a pretty good collection of them but here’s just a handful.

EDlKtQk.jpg

vNY7woR.jpg

iNog7ht.jpg

FfYbz4x.jpg

Ilk9gfb.jpg

lGYBlsj.jpg

251D95D2-B92D-4BC3-8A19-46D0F94F4875.jpeg
I’ve had a few of the Bark Rivers and they aren’t bad but once I got a few handmades, I never looked back. If you want a nice one, even to use, go handmade. Even if the maker isn’t alive anymore, there’s some real good bargains out there. Especially if you can get a WC Davis for a decent price. I have many from him.

I’ve had a few Bark Rivers, too (3). Part of my family is from Escanaba, MI and I have memories of going up there to see them when I was younger. I love the UP, too. So I thought I would support a maker from there. Well, it hasn’t worked out too well so far. They seem to spend a lot of energy on funky handle materials and liners instead of things like finishing (pins stick up from handle, liners have annoying edges, etc), even grinds (ricasso always uneven), and that sort of thing. They’re too expensive for stuff like that, which is a shame. That said, I have a micro Bravo from them that I have carried for several years now and will never get rid of even if the maple handle is pulling away from one of the pins. It’s a pretty good little cutter for being so tiny. I definitely don’t take it easy on it. It’s got spunk.

one of my favourite active makers is Bob Appleby and he does that style well.

W.A. Surls makes some nice Loveless Drop Point Hunters. He spent a few days at the Loveless shop with Jim Merritt. Allen is a very talented knife maker, and a real nice guy. He chronicled his visit to the Loveless shop on his forum W.A. Surls Knives.
https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/w-a-surls-knives-formerly-was-knives.901/

Got this Loveless style New York Special from Allen.
NoI74ef.jpg

Last edited:
Back