Best and Worst purchases of 2016

Best: Sage 5. Best ever, actually.

Worst: Mora Pro-C. Not a bad knife by any means, but I have extra-medium hands, and there was just no way for me to hold that short handle comfortably.
So I gave it to a friend with small hands who loves it. No hard feelings, and no love lost for Mora.

The Hinderer Half Track seems to be a reoccurring positive experience.........(jiggles piggybank) ....

And here is the reason why I chuckle when I doodle and fondle my Redencion. It's just by a hairline actually haha:

0adrk5S.jpg

Best was a Hardin Blade Works custom Seax.

Worst was an Ontario Blackbird that I received with no ground cutting edge. Knife was just blunt and unfinished. It was returned.

Best: Sage 5. Best ever, actually.

Worst: Mora Pro-C. Not a bad knife by any means, but I have extra-medium hands, and there was just no way for me to hold that short handle comfortably.
So I gave it to a friend with small hands who loves it. No hard feelings, and no love lost for Mora.

I've never heard of "extra-medium" hands before. Is that like "super-lukewarm" or "extra-average"?

The worst hands down was a Spyderco GB2.. Felt like a brick and hated digging down in the liner to release the lock.. Sent it back the same day I received it.. In 40yrs of collecting knives that was the first knife I returned..

John:D[/QUOTE]

Wow, I just got my Spyderco Manix2 G-10 today... Took it to work and I LOVE it.
I love how solid it is, the weight doesn't bother me at all.
I won't be returning mine.... I'm getting a lot of use from this knife.

Best was undoubtably finding the Skrama.
Worst was finding the Skrama, because its made many of my big expensive blades redundant overnight.

I like work knives and the Terava range, from where the Skrama are part of, really are so very good as work knives. For the price and what they can do they are a bargain. Not high priced sexy, but wow.
I am guilty as charged for pushing this range because I think many would do well in getting one, they are all accomplished pieces of knife kit. All very well having highly finished beauties, I enjoy them too, but when elbow deep in crud then give me a work tool. These have "it" in heaps.

Hello everyone,

I hope you all had a great year and added great knives to your stash! But sometimes it was not exactly what you were expecting...

Let's hear what you'll consider as your best and worst purchases of 2016. Try to keep it to one entry per category.

Please keep it civil. Feel free to explain, or not :)

Thanks for your time and happy holidays!

FMJ

Best: Chaves 228 Redencion

Worst: Lionsteel Kur Metamorphosis

All Good this year.

Best: Dragonfly 2 g10 (sees most use) closely followed by Bradford Guardian 3 in 3v

Worst: Boker Plus Urban Trapper in Cocobolo. Not because it is a bad knife. Well made and smooth. It just doesn't see much use (only carried a handful of times) and was more of an impulse buy that didn't work out.

First off, this has been an awesome thread, extremely helpful to a beginner into knifelife like myself. Over the past few months I've had some good purchases and some very poor ones as well.
Best purchases: Chaves 228 v1- the best of all the 228's in my opinion. Fantastic deployment, rock solid lockup with no lock stick, pocket clip is strong yet flexible enough to easily slip in and out the pocket. Love the blade shape and the blade grind, and I purchased it in perfect condition for $400. Runners up is a tie between my zt0620 and viper odino on a more budget friendly level, bought them both lnib for $100 each!
Worst purchase: easily the calavera cutlery model 4 of the original hand ground run, a little older, it came to me in a trade for an custom aegis hoplite and I cringe every time I think of that. The videos the guy sent were good, and when I got it it had lockstick so freaking bad, then once I got that fixed lockrock developed. I tried to contact the maker and he shined me completely. Worst experience ever with a knife. Runner up- microtech DOC I've had two pass my hands and they both had lockfail! Lockup was so early they would slip right off the lockface and almost gash my fingers.
Thanks again guys!

Best purchase--- this is a tie but I'll start with my first. A new to me CQC7BW with partial serrations. $113 off the bay, and was a NOS item but looked slightly used. Been in the pocket a lot and will need a sharpening soon. The second was a second hand ZT0620CF. This one is sexy and rugged. I'm not a big fan of the ZT blade styles but this being an Ernie collab I loved it from day one. Looking at the 0630ORBLK next or a Roadhouse new from the Emerson site.

Worst purchase 1- used Kershaw Leek 1660 OR that was listed as new but looked as if it was riding shotgun with a heavyset truck driver for 3 years when I took it out of box. A cleanup and a resell on the bay got my $ back.

2-another used Kershaw. This time a Freefall. I need to stay away from these cheapo Chinese tantos they sell. Oh well, throw it in the truck box and use it in an emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best-Most of them, the highlights are CS 4Max, Spyderco GB2, Blurple Military, K2 and Demko AD15.

Worst-Lionsteel CF TM1. Awesome knife really with no issues but it just does nothing for me.

While not the most expensive I've ever owned, it sure is the sleekest I think and for me, best buy for 2016 for sure, arrived just in time for New Years Eve too !

IMG_6498 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

as for the worst, my doctor says I should move past that and get on with my life, I should not dwell on such things ;)

Best for me (but I have only had it a few days) is a Rockstead SHIN, for knives I had bought earlier in 2016 it would be a Shiro 95T in M390.. SWEET!

Worst?

Benchmade 940-2... hard to explain, but it just didn't feel right in my hand

Best was the Manix 2 LW in CTS XHP

Worst was any of the Kershaw Launch series except the 5, they 1-3 and 6 simply aren't designs that function correctly (they don't lock up anywhere close to reliably) and Kershaw seems to be in total denial about it.

Best for me was a Hinderer G10 MP-1. Everything spot on quality wise and jut a great all around working knife.

Worst was a Hoback Carbon Fiber Kwaiback, for the price I was surprised at some obvious flaws in the CF finishing I had to sand the CF myself on a surface plate to fix the mismatches of shiny and dull Carbon Fiber on the handle. This took only a few mins but the lack of attention to detail was frustrating. Also I ordered a limited numbered one which was supposed to be the first ones and dealers had these in stock 2 weeks before I got mine and I paid a higher price buying direct.

Runner up for worst was I previously purchased a new Ti Kwaiback this year which arrived dull. Like tore copy paper dull along the entire edge. Never had this with a $50 knife, let alone a $600 knife.

Hmmm, tough to choose one of each.
Best: Kizer Gemini. One of the best flippers out there. Great ergos. Great price.
Worst: Kizer SLT. Terrible flipper, blade play, obtuse grind, expensive.

Back