Best and Worst purchases of 2016

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by FullMetalJackass, Dec 28, 2016.

1. gmorel1916

gmorel1916

Sep 16, 2014
    I was the first owner of that Kwaik. Loved it. Glad to see it making the rounds and getting Chris's name out there. That's why I let it go once I got on his books haha. Not to mention his HT on 52100 is fantastic.

As for my best and worst of last year, I'd say my best(s) were the few FFKWs I picked up last year. There's just something about their knives I've fallen in love with. Worst would be the few times I ventured back into some budget knives. There were a handful of unmemorable ones that made me realize I'm done with that market section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Sep 15, 2013
    Best AO of 2016, from my favorite brand. Still flickin in 2017!

[​IMG]

3. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Hey - fun to know :thumbup: His folders that I have seen need BIG pockets :). I'm anxious to get this one tuned up. Could be a in a class of its own but right now it has the look and feel of an early attempt - right on the verge of perfection though :cool:. Glad you passed it on.

Ray

4. Ta2ude

Ta2ude

Apr 7, 2012
    The Best- Would have to be my Brous Silent Soldier Flipper. I got this knife via trade on this forum and have carried it every day since. It is one of his very early versions in CF and at the moment my favorite knife.

The Worst-Would have to be my Lionsteel SR1A. The knife is beautiful to look at and seems to have great build quality, but it is too big for my hand and the blade shape is kinda useless IMO.

The Best Runner Up- I have to give honorable mention to my Carothers Performance Knives EDC. The build quality and design of this knife is absolutely amazing and it would have got my #1 pick other than the fact that I just don't carry a fixed blade all that much. I do plan on getting a horizontal sheath for this knife however and I believe that will change.

5. jeffbird

jeffbird Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Best - Skookum Bush Tool. Well thought out and useful. Lives up to the hype.

Worst - no duds in 2016 thankfully.

6. JakeCLT

JakeCLT

Sep 2, 2015
    Best:
    Reate Horizon CF - (soon to be outdone by the Reate Epoch but technically I purchased the Epoch in January 2017)
    Reate is very very impressive. Incredible flipping action, solid lock up, perfect craftsmanship and the M390 is the best part of it!! Crazily enough I've got it up for sale in the production folder thread because the Epoch has trumped it for pocket time and I have enough >$300 blades currently. I'm trying to fund a trip to Vegas for my 40th birthday in May.

Worst:
    Lionsteel TRE in OD green g-10. I wanted to like this knife because I truly love my Lionsteel TM-1 but the flipping action just wasn't there no matter how I tried to flip it open. I like knives of all sizes but this small flipper just missed its mark for me. It won a top award at Blade Show so it got my attention, maybe I needed to buy the titanium or CF version with the true 3 options for opening. It went back for a refund in less than 2 weeks.

7. sfrigon1

sfrigon1

Oct 2, 2016
    Best- Trc k1s fixed blade perfection , everything about this knife was better than I thought it would be !
    Worst- Lionsteel m5 , not at all what I was looking for in a fixed blade , oh well live and learn

8. 51 Bravo

51 Bravo

Feb 4, 2017
    X 2 on the cryo. Wanted to like it. Didn't at all. First bad review I've ever done for a knife actually.
    You can check it out here if you're considering buying one: https://youtu.be/xBzStvtndmI.

9. Charlie78

Charlie78

Jan 25, 2017
    Best: Benchmade triage 9160. Excellent fit and finish, feels great in hand perfect for any first responder.
    No bad purchases thanks to this forum and YouTube.

10. wolverinejeep

wolverinejeep

Apr 11, 2017
    i bought 3 combative edge balisongs and was happy with them . the problems others have stated didn't exist on mine. the problem was ,i had questions about the construction of the pivot pins. if they were allen screws or riveted . there was no way to contact combative edge or email. i think they are in Pennsylvania . but nothing came up.

11. wolverinejeep

wolverinejeep

Apr 11, 2017
    regarding the combative edge legacy balisong,,, i bought them in2017,, but didnt know the company existed untill i saw them advertised on blade hq. the worst about the knife was the first production printing on safe handle was faded on all 3 knives everything else was very good. its my edc.

12. PURPLEDC

PURPLEDC

Apr 4, 2007
    I hated mine. Worst I really have nothing but disdain for those knives even if I found a perfect one. But I do know on mine the screws were neither rivets nor allen screws but rather torx screws.

13. Gramps

Gramps

Nov 17, 2002
    Just realized I posted in a necro thread...sorry for waking the dead.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018