Best knife under $500

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Hook'Em, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Hook'Em

Hook'Em

Nov 2, 2018
    I'm interested what's everyone's opinion on the subject. This knife must be a user. Also what is the best "overbuilt" knife in this price range.

2. Mrgauth

Mrgauth Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Most ZT, Hinderer, and CRK's for mid to high end and all can be had for under 5 bills. Or how about a Freeman 451.

3. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Folder or Fixed?

4. Bob6794

Bob6794

Apr 21, 2013
    The best knife is the one you have with you.

It's down to personal taste so much you will get a variety of answers, but I give you an uncommon one. Serrated Spyderco. I do quite a few tasks that will destroy an edge in an instant and it seems serrated blades excel in this as the cutting edge is mostly protected.

Polzeyboy, vanadium and Kreyzhorse like this.
  5. Hook'Em

Hook'Em

Nov 2, 2018
    I originally meant folding blades but, let's hear everyone's choice for fixed also

Kreyzhorse likes this.
  6. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Fixed Busse, Cpk, are pretty tough as well as Swamprat. Then there's Fallkniven with its laminated steel. I'd check out some videos of them being tested. There are a lot of good knives out there though.

7. Wolverine666

Wolverine666 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Large Sebenza and Crusader Forge VIS Metro come to mind.

8. Hook'Em

Hook'Em

Nov 2, 2018
    Now that Crusader is very interesting

Wolverine666 likes this.
  9. JPricey82

JPricey82

Nov 28, 2018
    I'm high on ZT at that price point. CRK is great too!

Kreyzhorse likes this.
  10. jceckrosh

jceckrosh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 2, 2016
    Probably doesn't fall in the under $500 range though.

11. Hook'Em

Hook'Em

Nov 2, 2018
    I already have the 0562CF. Any other suggestions than ZT?

12. Hook'Em

Hook'Em

Nov 2, 2018
    BladeHQ has the G10 model right at $500

Wolverine666 likes this.
  13. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    Get a Spyderco Gayle Bradley, my EDC, and go out to dinner with friends on what you save when buying the GB. For $500 I'd be looking at custom, one-of-a-kind knives.

14. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Sebenza... Sure there are finger fidgeting knives and and flipper knives that are great but the best user knife I have out of them all is the sebenza.

Next to that most spyderco knives are amazing users but not in your price range as they are much cheaper.

colubrid and kniferbro like this.
  15. Hook'Em

Hook'Em

Nov 2, 2018
    The Sebenza/Inkosi is really interesting I just would feel wrong putting it through "hard use"

rexromic likes this.
  16. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Best at what? Best built? Best bang for buck? Best action? Best at slicing? Best “hard use” titanium pocket brick?

We get a little context since you said the magic overbuilt word: I recommend you look at the Chris Reeve Inkosi and maybe Umnumzaan and the new Gen 6 Hinderers. Also check out Grayman knives like the Satu.

Fixed blades? There are so many different kinds of fixed blades for entirely differenr roles. Best edc fixed? Best chopper? Best dagger?

The question is too vauge.

17. rexromic

rexromic Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2011
    IMG_E0545.JPG

marc_s, EricLinden, Mo2 and 1 other person like this.
  18. RBid

RBid

Apr 6, 2014
    Dollar for dollar heroes:

1. Real Steel Megalodon 2017. .14” thick, full flat ground M390, great in hand, action on par with $500+ knives. Can be had brand new for $170-$208. One site also has an N690 version for $99.99.

2. Massdrop x Laconico Keen. $139.99-$159.99 depending on handle style. Original design from a highly regarded designer, built by WE. S35VN, .155” thick at the spine, super aggressive ffg primary bevel angle, thin behind the edge. This one has taken over pocket time for a few of us.

Now, let’s throw value for the dollar away and look at the absolute best knife under $500:

It’ll be the Alliance Designs Ray Laconico Jasmine, because ... opinion and preference.

19. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    Dude they're made for it!
    [​IMG]

You in ATX?

20. Hook'Em

Hook'Em

Nov 2, 2018
    I'm very interested in the Medford production Praetorian