Best knife under $500

The Sebenza/Inkosi is really interesting I just would feel wrong putting it through "hard use"

Why? It's built to be a user as others have said.

It is "too expensive"? It's in the price range you asked about.

I'm not following.

At 500 bucks you’re buying what you like more than you’re buying “better.” For instance a sak will out cut most of the tactical folders out there for less than 40 bucks. Opinels are even cheaper. I personally bounce back and forth between spyderco’s delica in hap40 and the military in m4. Other knives seem like a downgrade IMO.

No I haven't handled a Medford before but, everything about a Medford is just right for me

Then why not just start the thread by asking

"What do you think of the Medford Praetorian? Anyone own one?" :confused:

It certainly is "overbuilt" so that its looks seem to work for you.

So get it. You like it. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Best under $500? That's certainly open to some rather liberal interpretation. I'll give it a shot.

For a currently manufactured fixed blade, in the EDC/user category, I like the White River Knives Sendero Classic. I consider it functional art. You can just admire it, or you can use it the way it was meant to be used. Although, I admit to some bias, I am an admirer of pretty much anything Jerry Fisk had anything to do with. For an EDC folder, the Kershaw Shallot assisted opener gets my vote. Stylish enough that it won't scare the straights, for the most part, but solid enough to handle a real daily work environment, except in jobs where a fixed blade would really be more practical. These are just my opinions...

“Overbuilt” and “folding knife” is pretty meaningless without “triad” and “lock.” In your price range, I’d pick up both a 4Max and an SR1 from Cold Steel. At current prices, that’s $479.90 for both(!).

I'm interested what's everyone's opinion on the subject. This knife must be a user. Also what is the best "overbuilt" knife in this price range.

My Hinderer knives (fixed and folders) are over built, and they are awesome. Lockup never failed on a folder. It's not a slogan, it is for real.

At 500 bucks you’re buying what you like more than you’re buying “better.” For instance a sak will out cut most of the tactical folders out there for less than 40 bucks. Opinels are even cheaper. I personally bounce back and forth between spyderco’s delica in hap40 and the military in m4. Other knives seem like a downgrade IMO.
So true. You really get diminishing returns on knives at certain point performance-wise. IMO $150 is where I really start to see this, but there are some great knives for much less even that perform very well (Cold Steel American Lawman). You can spend more on exclusivity and aesthetics, but unless you are getting something custom with an exceptional heat treat, etc. I don't see it.

The Sebenza/Inkosi is really interesting I just would feel wrong putting it through "hard use"

Don’t for a second feel bad about putting crk knives through hard use. This is what they were built for. The english translation of sebenza is actually work. Chris Reeve designed these knives to work for workers.

Actually there are many people (myself included) who feel that a Chris Reeve with wear on it is extremely beautiful; even more beautiful than a brand new unused crk.

Start with a crk at this price point. Sebbie is never a bad choice and is a relatively safe bet. If you don’t like it you won’t loose as much getting rid of it.

The longer you keep it the cheaper it is to rent though!

Without more information on what type of knife ... folder or fixed blade? ... without what uses you are wanting to find "the best" for ... say the best slicer? the best over built sharpened prybar?the most concealable? which will take the most abuse and still cut?

Without more info it's virtually impossible to answer ...

Almost every knife I own falls in the under $500.00 catagory ... and almost all excel at some task thus the reason I have them ...

but it could be anything from a SAK Farmer or Becker BK2 up to CRK Sebenzas or Hinderer XM-18s or Carothers Knives ...

and it could be a ZT or Spyderco or a dozen other knives that fall into one of the open ended options under $500.00.

use search function, and read some threads.

There is no single answer. Best knife under 500 is the knife you carry which maybe a 64$ knife.

All the best knives I have are under 500$ loll. But in the higher range Fällkniven, Busse, Randall, Bark River have my vote. At the end it all comes down to the pattern I like to use. mostly clip and drop points between 4 and 12 inches long blade.

For Folding knives I just cant believe something in the higher price range could be "no good" It`s all a matter of taste again. I like big, very strong folders and also the smaller very light and practical ones.

But it has to be Really "Something", for me to go over 300$ on a knife.

Bladeforums supporting dealer USA Made Blade has an Arius in stock for $490 as I type this. :thumbsup:
Bladeforums supporting dealer USA Made Blade has an Arius in stock for $490 as I type this. :thumbsup:
And it has lightening pockets. Nice!

You can pay more and get different show scales, materials, blade finishes, and milling patterns. But every Arius is outstanding.

For much less than $500, the Boos Blades Smoke is one of my favorite knives. The attractive, efficient design and the front flipper mechanism are unique. It’s easy to carry and light for such a long blade.
sMCIqTV.jpg

Back