Best multi tool??

I've had a Leatherman wave for well over ten years. It's been good to me.

I also keep a SOG Powerassist in my glovebox, it's nice too. It rarely sees the light of day, whereas the wave is really beat up. Probably time to replace it.

Send the Wave back to Leatherman and they'll get it back in tip top shape or give you a new one if it's too far gone. Can't beat their warranty!

I've had a Leatherman Wave + for years.

I've used it a lot and there's no visible damage to any tool. I have no idea if it is the best but it is rock solid and covers what I need. The only downside is it's a bit heavy in the pocket at around 8.5 oz.

Are any of these “springy”? I kind of like that.

Hey Mono. The LM Wingman and Sidekick both have springy pliers. I love that feature, and it's why they are my current MTs.

My son and I had Waves for awhile. I never used half of the stuff on the Wave. Son, on the other hand, not only uses most of the stuff but sprung for some sort of option package that has sockets and bits and tips of various kinds. So if you think you need a buttload of tools, the Wave is the way to go.

Do check out the features of the Wingman and Sidekick though. Useful bunch of stuff on them, not the least of which is the springy pliers.

Oh, and these two models are easier on the pocket book than many MTs out there. Added bonus, that.

Of the modern full sized plier tools, I vote for the Spirit X...however, its price has really gone up in recent years. I also still also use my original Leatherman Supertool that I purchased as a kid from a now defunct sporting goods store in the early 90s to use during my summers that I would spend on a lake house fishing with my cousins. I've just never found any Leatherman products to do it for me since, although nostalgia for the original ST likely biases my view for more modern Leatherman products more than anything else, as some of my fondest life memories are intertwined with its usage.

I've been happy with my Leatherman products. My normal carry is an older Surge with 154CM blade IIRC. I know it's not 420hc. I've been happy with it. Heavier then most MT but I'm not the kind of guy that counts ounces on carrying stuff. I don't fret about a 4 oz vs 7 oz folder for example.

I also have a Wingman that sits in my truck.

I would suggest a LM or Swiss tool over a Gerber/SOG/anything else.

I've never owned a Swiss tool but have heard good things.

I did some brief research on a real tool-backup multi-tool and the general sense I got was, Leatherman Super Tool 300 for the best combination of hard usefulness and reasonable price, and Leatherman Surge for sheer usefulness and number of tools (though at a higher price). The ST300 had a long Philips head that you can buy a bit kit for and turn it into a bit driver so that extends its capabilities, and the Surge has something similar so you can make it a truly do-all tool. The Victorinox Swisstools are also praised highly but they are pricey.

I have a Wingman from Leatherman as well as a ST300, having owned the Wingman longer. Both seem to be quality tools but the Wingman is more obviously tailored for EDC as it is smaller and lighter.

It’s interesting that this thread came up because I just ordered a Leatherman Skeletool CX. I do not have it yet but the features that were appealing to me were the very light weight compared to others (5 oz) and the pocket clip.

I bought a Leatherman SuperTool in '98, and lost it to TSA about 10 years ago when I forgot it was in my laptop bag. I replaced it with a Wave, and I've been using it ever since. It's still in excellent condition, and should never need to be replaced. I found a like-new SuperTool for cheap on a forum several years ago, so had to pick it up for use as a spare. I received a Wave + about a week ago, so each vehicle can have one.

Victorinox Spirit X might be made to a higher standard, but being priced above the Wave, it should be.

Last edited:
I have to throw another vote in for the Victorinox - i've used mine in steel fabrication shop to back country fly fishing - the legendary Victorinox precision and quality is apparent. Years of use, with no real regards for maintenance, it's just solid. (they're so good I have 2 in case one goes awol) I've handled nearly all the other MTs on the market and the SAKs are much better built than all of the competition. .02c

ImSRN6f.jpg

Last edited:
Wingman is springy. Its a good light duty tool, and I have a Core which I think became the Rebar, both good multitools.

It usually comes down to Leatherman or Victorinox, which are both outstanding producers.
Here are a few hard numbers from both websites...

Surge: $129.95 @ 12.5 oz.
SwissTool: $154.00 @ 10.2 oz.
SwissTool X: $135.00 @ 10.2 oz.
OHT: $89.95 @ 9.9 oz.
Super-Tool 300: $89.95 @ 9.6 oz.
Charge Ti: $169.95 @ 8.89 oz.
Wave+: $99.95 @ 8.5 oz.
SwissTool Spirit X: $104.99 @ 7.4 oz.

For what it's worth, I got my girlfriend a sidekick several years ago and for some reason the wire cutters don't seem to line up and work. She got one for her brother that has the same issue. I don't know what went on or if they solved that problem. If you don't mind a heavier tool then the super tool 300 is great, I came to prefer the rebar, same pliers and a lighter toolset. My all time favorite personally was the juice s2, sadly now discontinued.

LM vs Vic... hmmmm...
There are lots of good things to say about the Vic, but the pliers are a non-starter for me.
JPEG_20200802_181308_82679304373676680.jpg
The needle-nose on the Vic (center) are just not needley enough for me. Both the LM Wave (left) and the Surge (right) have significantly longer jaws and longer wire cutters. My EDC? The needleiest of the three...the Surge. Big and heavy, but that keeps me from blowing away on windy days! I also prefer the one hand opening blades of the LMs. Have fun researching MTs. T-A

Another vote for the SwissTool Spirit, with the OG Wave in second.

I find the Spirit is the most comfortable to use and I love that all the tools are accessible when closed. I also find that the Spirits Package Opener/Scraper tool is one of the most useful tools on a multitool. The fact that it is also lighter than many other full size multitools is nice also.

One gripe about the SwissTools that I hear is that they are not one-hand opening. Considering that I usually have a OHO blade anyway and I’m left-handed, I don’t really find the right-handed OHO of the Leatherman MT that much of a plus.

This Gerber Suspension is nicer than I thought. Why does it get all the hate?
For the same reason ford guys hate Chevies, dodge guys hate Ford's, Stihl guys hate Husqvarna... Gives people jobs and makes marketing departments necessary. In school I had a buddy who loved bear Grylls and Gerber. I was a les Stroud fan and preferred Leatherman. It's one of the great mysteries of life.

Back