Best State to retire??

...why anyone with the means to leave, would choose to stay ?
Reasons why people are staying California

1. The Pacific Coast Highway (PCH)
2. The Wonderful Weather
3. A Diverse Population
4. The Food Scene
5. California Means Music
6. Movie Mania
7. Tops in Tech
8. California Dreamin’
9. They are too lazy to move out (too much money)
1585444494165.jpg

...why anyone with the means to leave, would choose to stay ? :confused:

At least the big cities . ( But that's true everywhere , IMO )
Doc the questions and post was for the op, not you. I didn't ask you, but if ya want to tell why you left your home state to retire and why go ahead......

why would you be confused when someone's state was good enough for their career, raising family and their life, but not for retirement? it's not a weird or confusing question.

Doc the questions and post was for the op, not you. I didn't ask you, but if ya want to tell why you left your home state to retire and why go ahead......

why would you be confused when someone's state was good enough for their career, raising family and their life, but not for retirement? it's not a weird or confusing question.
Welp... "retirement " used to mean (ideally) you could finally go places and do things that were impossible with job and family obligations .

Also , many retirees move for economic concerns .

IDK , but I hear that many individuals, families and businesses are fleeing CA ...not just retirees .

Welp... "retirement " used to mean (ideally) you could finally go places and do things that were impossible with job and family obligations .

Also , many retirees move for economic concerns .

IDK , but I hear that many individuals, families and businesses are fleeing CA ...not just retirees .
maybe I read the ops post wrong. thought he said retire?

Keep working and put as much money away as you can. You will need more than you think to retire in comfort.

About three years before I retired, my wife and I moved to far south-central Tennessee.

Beautiful rolling hiis and hollows, great roads, very low cost of living.

We are 90 mins south of Nashville, 40 mins north of Huntsville AL.

My home is 20 miles from Lynchburg, TN. ;)

It's an easy days drive to north Florida, Hilton Head, New Orleans, a couple hours to Atlanta, and a few hours from the gulf coast.

We get very mild winters, average temps in Jan are 52 daytime, 32 at night. Snow is rare and brief if it happens.
I mow starting in late Feb until early Dec.

You can fish/motorcycle year round, with few exceptions.

We are Constitutional Carry, have very lenient knife laws and the population does not get wide-eyed seeng a knife or firearm, although open carriers are fairly rare.

Our state runs a budget surplus, our Healthcare is very available and good, and the schools are good.

Crime is low, mostly drug and alcohol related.

I used smartasset.com , they have a cost of living comparison calculator that will show the overall cost of living in an area, and this area of Tennessee was one of the most favorable in the USA.

Tennessee has no state income tax.

Properties don't stay on the market long, but there are houses available.

Nobody in WA state actually cares about enforcing knife laws, especially here in the far northwest corner. It’s pretty rural here. Five minutes from the ocean and ten minutes from Canada. We’ve done some traveling to explore retirement options but we always wind up missing the fresh food and mild weather. No traffic to speak of. I wouldn’t write WA state off completely.

why's staying in California that was good for your life, raising family and employment and such not good enough for retirement? not criticizing, just dont understand?

Lousy Infrastructure, pollution and costs. Used to be very different when I came here 25 years ago.

And let’s not forget that people were arrested for not wearing masks 2 years ago, on the open street, where I live.

Last edited:
Lousy Infrastructure, pollution and costs. Used to be very different when I came here 25 years ago.

And let’s not forget that people were arrested for not wearing masks 2 years ago, on the open street, where I live.

When I moved to the Bay Area to attend grad school, I was appalled by how filthy the air was compared to here in Indiana (the Region notwithstanding). What puzzled me was the number of people who frequently commented on how great the air quality was. I didn't understand how the heck they could draw that conclusion until I learned their baseline was Los Angeles and the surrounding area. Two feet above the rim of an erupting volcano would have better air quality than that cesspool, but that level of reality was lost on many of the Bay Area residents and their provincial collective worldview. Of course, that was par for the course for a micro-culture with most narrow minded, judgmental, intolerant people I've ever encountered in my 58 years. The irony . . . the irony . . .

I was there from 1987 - 1991, which was before your 25 year mark. I don't doubt you that things are different, which I infer suggests "worse" in almost every aspect. The last time I was there was in 1992 or 93 for the one year memorial for one of my aunties. I'm never, ever going back even to visit.

Just a little food for thought, I'm pretty sure that if you move out of the country US or it's territories, social security will deduct 30% of your pay as a penalty. Like I said I'm pretty sure but not 100% sure.

When I moved to the Bay Area to attend grad school, I was appalled by how filthy the air was compared to here in Indiana (the Region notwithstanding). What puzzled me was the number of people who frequently commented on how great the air quality was. I didn't understand how the heck they could draw that conclusion until I learned their baseline was Los Angeles and the surrounding area. Two feet above the rim of an erupting volcano would have better air quality than that cesspool, but that level of reality was lost on many of the Bay Area residents and their provincial collective worldview. Of course, that was par for the course for a micro-culture with most narrow minded, judgmental, intolerant people I've ever encountered in my 58 years. The irony . . . the irony . . .

I was there from 1987 - 1991, which was before your 25 year mark. I don't doubt you that things are different, which I infer suggests "worse" in almost every aspect. The last time I was there was in 1992 or 93 for the one year memorial for one of my aunties. I'm never, ever going back even to visit.

My better half has cystic fibrosis. There is a real difference: when she leaves the state into the mountains, she can stop taking her daily steroid inhaler.

Last edited:
Just a little food for thought, I'm pretty sure that if you move out of the country US or it's territories, social security will deduct 30% of your pay as a penalty. Like I said I'm pretty sure but not 100% sure.

It's more complicated than that. It is based on how long you have been outside the US and its territories, how long you stay when you come back to the US, which country you move to, how old you are at the time you "retire", how much money you earn while in the country in question, and how you answer a bunch of questions on a questionnaire the SSA sends you every year/two years (other stuff determines how often you get a questionnaire". If you are in some countries, you get nothing because the US doesn't send money to those countries.

It's more complicated than that. It is based on how long you have been outside the US and its territories, how long you stay when you come back to the US, which country you move to, how old you are at the time you "retire", how much money you earn while in the country in question, and how you answer a bunch of questions on a questionnaire the SSA sends you every year/two years (other stuff determines how often you get a questionnaire". If you are in some countries, you get nothing because the US doesn't send money to those countries.
Sounds very complicated.

Back