Best sword for zombie Apocalypse?

What would be the best sword steel for a zombie apocalypse? 1060, 5160, 9260, T10, L6, S7? You would want something unbreakable so would that be 9260 since it can bend to 90 degrees? What kind of sword would you get? Ive been looking at a few...

T10 Great Wave by Hanwei $634 retail $960
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=PC5004
Its a beautiful T10 and decided on getting it a few years ago but wondered if a cheaper 9260 would be better. Came across custom T10 for $230 so maybe get those; is this sword over priced?

9260 Tenchi by Cheness $280 retail $500
http://www.chenessinc.com/tenchi.htm
I like the bohi and seems like a beast. Dont want to buy the $300 sword, not be satisfied and by the $600 too.

1055 Warrior Katana by Cold Steel $292 retail $580
http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Katana-Handle-Scabbard/dp/B000Q9GCTI
Seems indestructible, on vid saw a guy using it to do pull-ups.

Would like to see what sword you think would be better than these. Could a European sword be better since thicker and maybe wouldn't break?

Scottish basket hilt, dirk & spiked targe. 3 weapons beat 1, double edged beats single edged.
scots.jpg
1745ScottishHighlanderShield.JPG
1fcda83d5641c35c7f70a942d0e4ae21.jpg

For actual <cough> battle use, you'd want something with which you are comfortable. A katana is designed as a two hander; and, without a good deal of practice, it is uncommon for one to be comfortable single-handing one. Frankly, I think if most unpracticed people were honest about it, the ko katana would be a far more popular option.
As for the question at hand, I would personally prefer a through hardened blade in that scenario. Yes, there are benefits to differential hardening; but there are drawbacks, as well.
Cheness is not as good a deal as they used to be, honestly. The product line is stagnant, and the quality control isn't what it should be. I have a Tenchi ko katana, (had, and ultimately sold, the katana) - I feel I got lucky to get good ones, and I made the purchase a number of years ago. Honestly, I wouldn't bother with them, now (at least not new) - for the money, you can get a better piece.
I haven't followed that market recently; but Huawei and a couple other sellers on the auction site were selling decent stuff. Ricky Chen, too, but availability was sporadic.

Personally, I prefer Euro style swords...but not necessarily for <cough> battle applications. For use against zombies, though, I suppose one wouldn't have to be as concerned about edge alignment in a strike.

What is it that you are really looking for? A showpiece that would be functional if/when civilization crumbles? If you've got the extra cash - go for it.
The piece doesn't appeal to me; but it isn't my money, so it doesn't matter. If you aren't looking for bragging rights, you can get a great looking, functional sword for a lot less money. I'm not saying it isn't worth it - I was on the brink of purchasing a limited production piece from Lundemo a couple years ago - only you can make that call. If it is worth it to you, nobody else's opinion matters.

I would prefer a good machete over a katana. It's more readily availible and takes far less skill to use. If you have any martial/weapons training a long knife is a good option also. If SHTF (and I ran out of ammo) I could make due w my Von Tempsky bowie and my riot shield.

I would prefer a good machete over a katana. It's more readily availible and takes far less skill to use. If you have any martial/weapons training a long knife is a good option also. If SHTF (and I ran out of ammo) I could make due w my Von Tempsky bowie and my riot shield.

A riot shield, excellent choice!

Im looking for the ultimate zombie apocalypse sword. Yes. Would that Furia sword be the ultimate zombie sword cause its made with S7 steel? If its truly the best I want it. Is 9260 more durable cause it will bend but not break?

A good sword-shaped machete would be better, as you could use it for things other than killing. If you only want it for weaponized use, a club or mace would serve you far better.

Classifying anything as "ultimate" is highly subjective.
If, for you, that is the ultimate zombie sword; you won't be disappointed.

Personally, I'd rather look at, and practice with, a Zombie Tools Mack Daddy-O; but, if it actually came to <cough> battle, I wouldn't be reaching for that (because I'm not as comfortable with that as I am other weapons).

I'd love to be able to say I have flashy sword skills to beat the band, but in all honesty I'd probably be better off with the equivalent of a big meat cleaver, like the Chinese Ring Sword, or a Dao. I own a rapier, and am "ok" with it, but lets face it, zeds aren't gonna grab the point of entry and concede a duel to me. Katanas are lovely, but also not going to have the "umph" needed to "clear a swath" in front of you like a heavier weapon. For one on one or one vs. two, those would be dandy, but I assume we're talking horde possibilities. Heck, just sign me up for a Macijowski Chopper, that'd work as well as anything.

I would avoid swords and go with a long-handled Estwing geologist's hammer/pick. I have one, and if anything can punch through a human skull with ease, it's that.

The likeliness of a sword to break depends on how hard the user is trying, lol.
S7 is a shock/impact resistant steel...but I don't know how well it stands up to lateral stresses. I don't think it holds an edge particularly well.

If you're talking about the Busse it's in SR-101 which holds a better edge than S7 and even INFI from what I've read. INFI would probably do better with the lateral stress though..

Back