Best sword for zombie Apocalypse?

I would prefer a good machete over a katana. It's more readily availible and takes far less skill to use.

I don't know if it takes far less skill to use to the same level of effectiveness as a weapon. Katana-length machetes are lighter (1/3 to 3/4 the weight), but are one-handed. Typically less sharp, less pointy, provides less protection.

Yes, it's often the case that when machetes are used as weapons, the users display little technical skill. But I think if you put a katana in their hands instead, they'd achieve as good, or better, results. You can crudely hack with a machete, but you can also crudely hack with a katana.

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/88CKK/MIZUTORI_KATANA.aspx
mizutori-crane-katana.jpg

Machete... you keep on using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.....

??? Which Machete? Are you talking about a specific product? From a specific company?

Did some one recommend a Katana machete?

A machete is a thin, flexible, long bladed blade. Typically under 3mm in thickness.

They are usually less effective at thrusting, due to their flexibility. Also, if lodged in a target, they can be too flexible to use as a fulcrum to control the target.

You also seem to think that $400 is too expensive for an American made product with impeccable heat treat and warranty, but list a $950+ Chinese made replica of a Japanese sword as on your list of possible choices.

"Best" especially when listing those specific steels, and cheap ar not likely to walk hand in hand into the apocalyptic sunset togethef......zombies or no.....

Post 34 posted a picture of what I referred to as a pricey machete. Post 29 referred to the Super Assassin which I thought looked like a katana machete.

Post 34 posted a picture of what I referred to as a pricey machete. Post 29 referred to the Super Assassin which I thought looked like a katana machete.

The super assassin is probably one of the most efficient cutting swords you will ever see in your life. Made by one of the best cutters in the world. Back to back world champ.

It is about 6 times as expensive as the nicest sword you posted. No where near as thin as a machete. And would cut circles around any sword you can imagine.

Course, if you want the best-est super sword in the world for killing zombies, but you want more traditional fittings, you can always hit Dan Keffler up. His super assassin 2, and a few of his other designs have more traditional in apperance fittings.

Dan Jeffers work is custom made, and in very high demand. He uses cutting edge steels. What most would term super steels. His geometry and heat treat are spot on.

Neither of those cutting tools can be correctly called a machete, but if you really love the term machete, by all means, keep using it.

Based on your original posts, and responses, you should definitely get the 1055 Cold Steel.

But only if you promise to use it for pull ups.

It will be thick enough for your tasks. Though, 1055 is no super steel. And it won't hold an edge as long.

I'm going to machete on into to bed.

Machete you later.

MACHETE......

Last edited:
As for the question at hand, I would personally prefer a through hardened blade in that scenario. Yes, there are benefits to differential hardening; but there are drawbacks, as well.

HHMoore, if you have a moment and wouldn't mind, could you please elaborate on this?

I'm going to say a lightsaber, it safely cauterizes the wound as you hack, preventing splash back and considerable risk that you'd be infected when the zombies infected blood gets on you. If you go hacking away at a hoard of zombies with a steel sword there's going to be blood and viscera everywhere; all over you, your clothes, your gear, the ground, and the sword. Even if you avoid infection from blood that is ridden with an apparently highly contagious virus, your clothes are ruined and will have to be burned, you're going to have to scrub your entire body like you're going into surgery, you gear is going to have to be thoroughly disinfected or discarded and you're going to have to be quarantined from any other survivors until everyone can be sure you're not infected. Considering that you just had to hack through a hoard of plague victims rather than running, we can assume you won't have the luxury of proper decontamination or clean clothes. So using a sword, you're more likely to end up joining them than making any appreciable difference and your chances of survival decrease to a dismally low number no matter how effectively you were able to decapitate the undead. Therefore, a lightsaber really is your best option.

That is unless we're talking about dead folk brought back from the dead through the use of magic or technology and enslaved to do evil deeds. In which case the answer is Smatchet.

The super assassin is probably one of the most efficient cutting swords you will ever see in your life. Made by one of the best cutters in the world. Back to back world champ.

It is about 6 times as expensive as the nicest sword you posted. No where near as thin as a machete. And would cut circles around any sword you can imagine.

Course, if you want the best-est super sword in the world for killing zombies, but you want more traditional fittings, you can always hit Dan Keffler up. His super assassin 2, and a few of his other designs have more traditional in apperance fittings.

Dan Jeffers work is custom made, and in very high demand. He uses cutting edge steels. What most would term super steels. His geometry and heat treat are spot on.

Neither of those cutting tools can be correctly called a machete, but if you really love the term machete, by all means, keep using it.

Based on your original posts, and responses, you should definitely get the 1055 Cold Steel.

But only if you promise to use it for pull ups.

It will be thick enough for your tasks. Though, 1055 is no super steel. And it won't hold an edge as long.

I'm going to machete on into to bed.

Machete you later.

MACHETE......

MACHETE is one of my favorite movies.

Why go Cold Steel? Is it cause the blade would last longer and not break with abuse cause its thicker? Basically want a badass sword that wouldn't break killing zombies.

Zombies (according to TWD) continue to rot & get more fragile despite being reanimated. The most efficient killing, long-blade wound is a brain stab through the eye, with a skull cut/smash as a more energy sapping technique. Same as on living targets. Just takes continual practice.
Thus my recommendation for a straight sabre/basket broadsword (which aren't heavier than the fanboy cherished katanas), with spiked targe & protruding dirk,or a parrying dagger.
_POR4831b.jpg

No C21 super steels nessry, just good C20 spring steel with good smithing.

MACHETE is one of my favorite movies.

Why go Cold Steel? Is it cause the blade would last longer and not break with abuse cause its thicker? Basically want a badass sword that wouldn't break killing zombies.

No. because it is a cheap, beater sword, and no one will feel bad when you ruin it.

If I found a great deal on one, and had opportunity to check the fit and finish, they are right up my alley. Tough, heavy, never really going to use them.

But for the money, there are other makers that are building the swords with better steel. 1055 is tough. But not particularly great for edge retention.

They are tough. But don't handle very well compared to many other swords. Heavy is bad if you are using it as a real sword. They do, by most reports cut targets very well, but do not change directions quickly. They are not lively in hand.

But seriously, your response makes me think you might actually take any sword you buy out and chop random items.

If that is what you intent, Busse/Swamprat/Scrapyard knives are a great bet. They are a bit pricey. They are not, in any way at all traditional, but they have a forever warranty, that follows the blade. As long as you don't break it on purpose (like cut it with a torch, or angle grinder), you are covered. I've owned about 14. That 16 inch bladed one you commented on above, would be an arm, head, leg, and tree limb wood chopping beast. No need to worry about it. Chop any reasonable target. Concrete, and metal pipes will ruin the edge, but won't break it, and if it does break, Busse will give you a shop credit for what you paid them for it.

In the sword range, especially in their proprietary steel INFI, you are looking at 1000-2000, and up, especially for two handed swords. In that price range, you can get beautiful, functional, quality, even hand built traditional designs. Both European or Asian.

I own and use many Cold Steel products, and they have a lot of them I really like. I have never bought one of their swords, though. For battle axes, and war hammers, and hawks, and a whole pile of other fun products, they are tough to beat.

For their higher priced items, I would direct you to some other makers. Not because they are not fun, and tough but I think there are better values (at least at non clearance prices).

I've read more than a few reviews that you kind of need to hand pick the Katana style swords from them, because they can have loose fittings, and poor retention in the scabbard (Saya).

Most swords are not going to have any warranty against damage. You can literally ruin most swords in a single bad cut.

If you ruin a Cold Steel sword, and try to get it replaced, when they are done laughing at you, you are not getting a replacement. This holds true for most sword makers.

Take one, and ruin it, and then try to get it replaced. Most will tell you to get lost, if you break their sword, and want it warrantied.

Make sure you have parent permission first, though. Most dealers won't sell to anyone under 18 years old.

Last edited:
^
^ But in the walking dead you can stab them through the chin and they die. Ive heard about a person getting shot through the head and lived cause the other side of the brain was fine.

^Not going to cut anything with it, just want a beast of a sword. Im 34.

Only if the blade goes up the chin, thru the mouth, thru the sinus & finally into the brain. With an eye or temple stab its directly into the brain.
Weak or exhausted bullets have penetrated the scalp but not the skull, spun around the skull & exited the scalp opposite the entry wound giving the initial appearance of a thru shot.

Last edited:
Most swords would do ok, in an apocalypse, no more bullets, type of situation.

If you're talking about your classical zombie fantasy..... Swords aren't so good. Most are too light to make it through the skull. Katanas wouldn't be so great.

You need a heavy impact weapon. Long handled type cleaver would be ok. Gotta make sure that it doesn't get stuck in the wound. Storm Crow's long handled clever thing is a FINE example of what I mean. I've seen videos of his gear:thumbup:

Hhmoore posted a picture of a 2 handed weapon that's pretty close. A kukri has potential as a close up, last ditch, brain buster. If you're in a bad position to strike down, you can stab up through the jaw with the kukri.

I'm thinking long handle, flat surface spade, With sharpened edges. You've got reach, weight, and slice/dice capabilities. Anyone who has read the novel World War Z knows what I'm referring to.

Last edited:
Gadunz said:

"Weak or exhausted bullets have penetrated the scalp but not the skull, spun around the skull & exited the scalp opposite the entry wound giving the initial appearance of a thru shot."

What you described happened to a local cop, about 20 years ago..... he's still alive, but not the same person, as you might guess.

Last edited:
Swords aren't so good. Most are too light to make it through the skull. .
You're obsessed with skull smashing. The best cut & thrust swords (katanas, sabres, broadswords) can behead a healthy person, let alone a rotting zombie, & can brain thrust, thru the eye or temple.
Less effort, less exhaustion, desired result, pure efficiency.
4620371447_374x374.png
DSCF1122.jpg

Back