Best sword for zombie Apocalypse?

You're obsessed with skull smashing. The best cut & thrust swords (katanas, sabres, broadswords) can behead a healthy person, let alone a rotting zombie, & can brain thrust, thru the eye or temple.
Less effort, less exhaustion, desired result, pure efficiency.

When I'm referring to skull smashing, I'm merely sticking to the zombie killing rule that says that you've got to get to the brain.

You need some pretty good skills to behead something (someone?:confused:). Even more so on a moving target. You can't afford to miss too often.

Using anything longer than a knife to stab at an eye or temple is equally difficult, especially when on moving target.

Nothing is difficult with a well balanced sword, if you're well practiced at it. Continually select leaves-blossoms-fruit-twigs & thrust at them as you wander thru the dystopia.
Combined with the aforementioned spiked targe & protruding dirk or windsail(?) duelling dagger & you've many finally-dead zombies.
You need some pretty good skills to behead something (someone?:confused:). Even more so on a moving target. You can't afford to miss too often.
But Michonne makes it look so easy.

Last edited:
Lions and tigers and bears...oh my....

The fantasy zombie scenario is something that has played out for real throughout our history and prehistory. We have always faced dangerous critters of one form or another and we have always defeated them through our use of technology. A zombie is a creature that lacks the ability to use tools. It is usually portrayed as a slow moving humanoid weakened from decay. It is only effective weapons is the ability to poison via a bite and to absorb tremendous physical damage, with the exception of it one Achilles's heal - it's brain.

To effectively defeat them, we once again need technology. In this case anything from a simple stout door to any form of range weapon would quickly and safely turn fields of zombies into fertilizer. You don't need a sword. What you need is a projectile weapon or a pole arm, to take them out from beyond their limited reach. Just poke a .22 rifle out of your window and safely take them out by the thousands. A bow, sling, or spear can easily substitute for the gun.

Zombies are just man deprived of his brains. Unless, they are allowed to vote, they are all but harmless.

Then again...
hdd_0.jpg

A set of butterfly swords would work well.

n2s

Last edited:
But everyone knows you need at least a 33" blade when there's no more gunpowder or petroleum distillate.
michonne-horse.jpg
stock-photo-cyclist-rides-with-samurai-sword-isolated-on-white-background-204707401.jpg

Did Achilles' heel heal?
15604144_5.jpg

Heel
Heel
Heel
Heel
Heel

(On to the next blackboard.....)

BTW, Michone sword was likely modeled on the Ritter Steel Katana. They have been making a series of these since the
1990s.

IMG_5764.jpg

japanese-swords-rittersteel-katana-ninja.jpg

n2s

Presuming we're talking about biological zombies rather than supernatural ones, they're still subject to the rules of anatomy and physiology...cut a muscle and that muscle's not going to work anymore. Their brain would still need to be able to carry out rudimentary functions, which would require blood-supplied oxygen, so a functioning respiratory and cardio-pulmonary system would be needed as well. Then they'd need an energy source for all of those organs to be functioning, so their digestive system would still need to be working, too. So you'd be basically be dealing with a slow-moving, normal human with the cognitive abilities of a potato and an inability to feel pain.

They would be very little threat, ultimately, and if in a state of decomposition they'd simply fall apart on their own in very short order.

Presuming we're talking about biological zombies rather than supernatural ones, they're still subject to the rules of anatomy and physiology...cut a muscle and that muscle's not going to work anymore. Their brain would still need to be able to carry out rudimentary functions, which would require blood-supplied oxygen, so a functioning respiratory and cardio-pulmonary system would be needed as well. Then they'd need an energy source for all of those organs to be functioning, so their digestive system would still need to be working, too. So you'd be basically be dealing with a slow-moving, normal human with the cognitive abilities of a potato and an inability to feel pain.

They would be very little threat, ultimately, and if in a state of decomposition they'd simply fall apart on their own in very short order.

Logic......in a ZOMBIE SWORD thread.......that's awesome!:D:thumbup:
Sort of deflating, but awesome nonetheless.
Darcy

I think the Zombie Tools Diphos is fit for the situation, as for durability just check out reviews and tests of it on YouTube. It seems to be really strong

Personally, this would be my choice, or at least something like it. Short enough to be easy to carry and to use easier in confined spaces. I've done some training in Japanese and Korean sword arts, and still prefer a European double edged blade.

xiphos-photo.png

I don't know a thing about Zombie Tools, but that shape, size and lines are just great. :thumbup:

Do your own research ffs.

If responding to a question is too much of a fucking hassle, don't bother responding.

I could've just written "Dunno" which would've been the whole truth.
200_s.gif

Zombie reference

I don't know a thing about Zombie Tools, but that shape, size and lines are just great. :thumbup:

If responding to a question is too much of a fucking hassle, don't bother responding.

Some people just want to take the fun out of every situation.....

I think most people don't think reanimated corpses will walk the earth eating brains....but these weapons are really just hard use self defense tools when and if that need arises, or just plain fun backyard cutters. No harm in that.

Last edited:
In a zombie apocalypse keep it short for use in tight quarters. I prefer wakizashis rather than full length katanas. The TFW moro Barong at 14" or the 13" Kambantuli are great choices in confined spaces. Short length great chopping power and can stab as well. If facing faster zombies you need quick slashes and lighter blades. Then cold steel dragonfly tanto or natchez bowie will come in handy.

Back