Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

I am amazed that I can walk to a pub from my house and get a German beer one tap.

l9OAr9B.jpg

RRQXbgi.jpg

This is a spin on the Old Fashioned called an Ultramodern:

Rye whiskey, scotch, fig & cinnamon shrub, bitters and a splash of soda. It's strong like this Lambsfoot's pull and smokey like its covers.

You're making me thirsty, Greg - that looks delicious! I never liked the taste of all that sugar in the traditional Old Fashioned, so I'll have to give the Ultramodern a try. Love the ebony on your Lambsfoot knife too, by the way!

I am amazed that I can walk to a pub from my house and get a German beer one tap.

l9OAr9B.jpg

RRQXbgi.jpg

Mmm, I like a good Bavarian brew as well.:thumbsup:

IMG_7673.JPG

This is a spin on the Old Fashioned called an Ultramodern:

pSV5Mv1h.jpg

Rye whiskey, scotch, fig & cinnamon shrub, bitters and a splash of soda. It's strong like this Lambsfoot's pull and smokey like its covers.

Fantastic picture and prose my friend :) :thumbsup:

I spent the day steaming through the Yorkshire countryside, drinking (mainly) Sheffield's Abbeydale Brewery's 'Moonshine' on cask from the full bar on board the vintage steam train :) :) :thumbsup:

The local governments have not been kind to the steam trains here. They don't seem to have run for years, even though the coastal landscape is spectactular, and has rails!!

Sounds like a great day out, Jack.:thumbsup::cool:

We have a few excursion trains but they're not as cool as this line. Beer and Ale train? Book me now :thumbsup:

I always enjoy train travel in interesting country. Watching the landscape scroll by, with a tasty beverage at hand, is definitely one of lifes pleasures to be savoured.:)

IMG_3241.JPG

Sipping a Guinness (what else?!) on the train from Belfast to Dublin, earlier this year, as we rolled through the borderlands of County Armagh.

IMG_3399.JPG IMG_3223.JPG

Fantastic picture and prose my friend :) :thumbsup:

I spent the day steaming through the Yorkshire countryside, drinking (mainly) Sheffield's Abbeydale Brewery's 'Moonshine' on cask from the full bar on board the vintage steam train :) :) :thumbsup:

Looks like a fantastic time, Jack! Drinking cask ale from a pint glass on a steam train with a full bar is certainly classier than the six-pack from the Sainsbury's Local in Paddington Station my brother and I shared on the train from London to Bath. :D

The local governments have not been kind to the steam trains here. They don't seem to have run for years, even though the coastal landscape is spectactular, and has rails!!

That is a shame Charlie because you have some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. They were banned from mainlines here for a few years between the late 1960's and 1971, but now contribute more than £30 Million to the British ecconomy.

We have a few excursion trains but they're not as cool as this line. Beer and Ale train? Book me now :thumbsup:

It was great to see the hand-pumps! :D :thumbsup:

Sounds like a great day out, Jack.:thumbsup::cool:

I always enjoy train travel in interesting country. Watching the landscape scroll by, with a tasty beverage at hand, is definitely one of lifes pleasures to be savoured.:)

View attachment 763013

Sipping a Guinness (what else?!) on the train from Belfast to Dublin, earlier this year, as we rolled through the borderlands of County Armagh.

View attachment 763015 View attachment 763012

It was my friend :) I recognised that train straightaway! :D A bit different from the Belfast-Derry boneshaker, but the coastal section of that line is spectacular too :) Great to see your pics :thumbsup:

Looks like a fantastic time, Jack! Drinking cask ale from a pint glass on a steam train with a full bar is certainly classier than the six-pack from the Sainsbury's Local in Paddington Station my brother and I shared on the train from London to Bath. :D

Thanks Barrett, mainline British trains are generally known for their rotten selection of ales, so the six-pack was probably a good choice my friend! :D :thumbsup:

Really like the colour of the micarta on your handles, mine are much lighter. The that just the light in the photo or did you darken them somehow ?
Mine started lighter and darkened on its own. The lighting in the photo is exaggerating the effect a bit though. I've been wearing black jeans, and I think that may have contributed. I haven't oiled it or anything.

Thanks Barrett, mainline British trains are generally known for their rotten selection of ales, so the six-pack was probably a good choice my friend! :D :thumbsup:

Jack, it turned out that BYOB was a great choice for that trip. Shortly after departing from Paddington, an announcement was made that there would be no food or beverage service available because the catering crew had boarded the wrong train! :confused: :D

Jack, it turned out that BYOB was a great choice for that trip. Shortly after departing from Paddington, an announcement was made that there would be no food or beverage service available because the catering crew had boarded the wrong train! :confused: :D

Yep, it's always best to be self-contained with British railways Barrett. I'd like to tell you that kind of announcement is rare, but it really isn't :rolleyes: Sometimes it's the driver who has boarded the wrong train! :eek: The food and beverages are rotten and ridiculously over-priced, so I try and take my own whenever possible. The 'British Rail sandwich' used to be a national joke here, to the extent that, decades after they abolished British Rail, people still reference the sandwiches. I heard someone make just such a joke yesterday! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Back